Rediscovering Led Zep's Presence!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr_Vinyl, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, and Physical Graffiti had songs recorded over a longer period of time, years. More variety and depth. Physical Graffiti was done in a month or so.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Good to see some love for this title, always been a fan of it.......but then....I'm a big Led Head.....

JeffMo and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Presence, ITTOD and Coda are the Zeppelin "Beer Goggles" albums. When I play them I think, hmm these are pretty good, then when I put on one of the first 6 I realize the magic was gone after 1975.

Holy Diver likes this.
  4. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I love all their albums, but this one suffers mostly from the fact that it came after "Physical Graffiti", which I feel was their very best. I think it's a fine album, but it seems to show a band that gave up a ton of material for a double album, that clearly left little in the coffers for a follow up to match it.

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What do you find different/better about it?

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I actually first purchased this album on 8 Track :) I was not enthused upon first listen, but it grew on me fast. To this day, I love the album for the simple fact that there are some great "deep cuts" that didn't get played to death on FM radio.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I agree the Presence 2015 remaster is one of the best. I posted my thoughts about it in the dedicated remasters thread.

soka and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  8. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The whole album is a testament of Bonzo's greatness. Not LZ greatest moment but worth every listening for the drummer's performance alone.

davers, telepicker97 and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  9. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think that was one of the reasons why I "rediscovered" it and now appreciate it so much. There were no hits! In retrospect, it would have been odd had this album not been recorded. Imagine jumping from Physical Graffiti to Out Door? Presence seems like the band was trying to go back to the days of Houses of the Holy amid all the social and musical changes around them (Disco, the Cold War, Punk).

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The 2015 vinyl reissue is the best I've ever heard it. Just a knockout, and it raised the album in my estimation.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  11. Mr_Vinyl

Haven't compared it with the 2015 vinyl. I didn't like 2 & 3. Maybe this one is different...

12. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

"Hots On For Nowhere" has always amazed me. Just one swinging, crunching hook after another.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  13. tortoised

tortoised Well-Known Member

For me it's one of those LPs that really shone when I started experimenting with the playing order—yeah, I know, it's heresy for many. One of the oldest reviews for the album on Amazon suggested doing this as well as a recent thread on this board that had suggestions for re-ordering various LPs. Nonetheless, Presence gets the most plays from the 2015 remasters.

Mr_Vinyl and dennis the menace like this.
  14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It's a great album and underappreciated. One of my favorites, better than I or II.

midniteinsanjuan and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  15. Chris Schoen

As with most of the remasters, there is greater definition and detail.

cordobaman and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Zeppelin is not quite but sort of behind me now.In the day Presence was not among my fav lps.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  17. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

What's wrong with enjoying the last 3 albums simply on their own merits, without comparing them to what came before...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    dennis the menace and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  18. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Presence is an unbelievably good album, but it often is rejected by those who reach for the low hanging fruit. This is an album of Zeppelin deep cuts, and possibly their most technically proficient. Everyone is on fire on this disc, especially Page and Bonham, who, interestingly enough, get blamed for substandard performances on ITTOD (I don't agree by the way). Presence requires an engaged listener, who can appreciate the magic of what is going on in the mix. If you're looking for a dance song, you came to the wrong place. This was also a very autobiographical album for Plant, and for the first time, his struggles are alluded to, as are some references to his frustrations with a certain band mate. 10 out of 10.

19. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There was a fanzine in the 80's, I forgot who, but they offered these really good Presence "Object" replicas for $30.

I wish I bought one. :*(

Plant was in a cast at this time? Zeppelin showed they could put out a quickie. And thanks to the art of Hypgnosis, made the album immortal.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Funny, I picked up this and the other last batch of DEs but have yet to listen to the main discs (focused on the companions). I need to give this remaster a spin!

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  21. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

:pineapple:I said before and I will say again. Presence is led zep's "FUNK ALBUM" My favorite album. Oh Hell Yeah!

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

That's not funny, that's really sad! (just kidding). The "bonus discs" in these remasters have not been all that great (imo), and certainly
    could have been better. But, those who really know the music of the albums would hear the better quality of the remaster.

Mr_Vinyl and dennis the menace like this.
  23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Underrated because it's a great album. As has been said earlier, it was done in a month during at a time when there wasn't any guarantee that the band might continue given Plant's recovering from an automobile accident. Didn't he cut his vocals in a wheelchair? Presence is one of Page and Bonham's finest hours. Achilles is the classic cut, but Tea For One is a real slow burner for me.

painted8, soka, JeffMo and 1 other person like this.
  24. parman

parman Music Junkie

I'm sure many of you have read that there was no 'object/obelisk' in any of the pictures, they just made a black shape in all the negatives. Did Hipnogsis do the art work??

25. Mr_Vinyl

Well, the black silhouettes look like they were superimposed, but the obelisk itself is on the inner sleeve. The only mention in the notes is: sleeve by Hypgnosis and Hardie.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.