Amp is too good for speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bathory, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I don't think an amp can be too good for a given set of speakers, but an amp can be a mismatch for the speakers it's expected to drive. Of course, there's speakers that aren't good enough to bother with, but beyond that there will be an ideal amp for any worthwhile speaker. Some of those ideal amps will turn out to be considerably more costly than the speakers.

james likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It couldn't be any other way since they are made by Klipsch:righton:

3. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore Thread Starter

Nope, old stock energy, not the cheapo klipsch company which they are rebranding jamo, and others these days.. Or I should say audiovox. Mine are the older versions of the energy's. Although even the newer ones murder klipschs's painful, ear splitting, SEARING headache inducing treble. For low volume movies, they are at the very least acceptable, for music, forget about it, they sound like they have 1 5" woofer and 4 15" horn tweeters. Ouch. I remember the corner horns years ago, I had to leave the room within 30 seconds of the audition, they are just painful and brutal, but your ears may love the bright searing treble. My ears (it does suck) are very good at hearing high freq, so anything which is loud in the treble, I just can't take it, my jaw hurts, I get anxious feeling, nervous, queasy, and my teeth hurt near the molars.

Strange,....yup, my ears are good, but not with high pitch anything.

4. Bathory

They are not made by klipsch, klipsch just bought them, and they discontinues them while back, old stock being sold out. Energy has now been dragged through the mud, they are no more. RIP Energy loudspeakers.

5. The Pinhead

I respectfully agree to disagree. My F2 Klipsch towers sound nothing like you describe.

6. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

If that amp is what you want, buy it. If in the future you wish to go to better speakers you are ready to roll. This having a piece of equipment being to good for another piece of equipment is rubbish in my opinion. You may not get the full sonic capability of the amp and this is the impression I'm getting from some of the post.But you are after reliability and longevity so do it.
    Also if the OP likes the way his Cerwin Vega's sound why is this a problem for some of the posters, we don't want to be all drones like all the same stuff. Do We?

7. The Pinhead

Not a problem for me. He loves the CW sound yet hates Klipsch's. Exactly like I feel just inversely. To each their own I guess:laugh:

8. Bathory

\,,/

Cheers. I'm looking forward to the new gear, will be my first actual NEW audio gear, with new speakers an exception

First new audio gear major purchase since 1990. It has been anticipated since 2000, but not do-able til now.
    I'm glad I saved like I did, I'm so excited to finally be buying new gear, it has been too long.

Thanks to you all, best wishes to everyone!!

"Darkness Descends is the greatest metal album ever recorded"

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

That is a beautiful thing. :righton:

10. The Pinhead

I'd be suspicios of such a thing. I'd expect my speakers to start killing living organisms in the room over some 85 dbs:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.