Temporary Insanity? The "What was I thinking?" thread. Music traded away...reacquired much later.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Steve, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member Thread Starter

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does...

Allman Brothers Band's At Fillmore East
    The Very Best of
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    Randall Bramlett's That Other Mile / Light of the Night
    Paul Simon's One Trick Pony
    Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit

Tractors' Self-titled debut

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    TonyACT and Michael like this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Oh Lord too many to recall...let's just say a lot of them rhymed with bee-see-see :p

Michael likes this.
  3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I still kick myself for selling some of my rare Japanese vinyl pressings and other rare albums from mostly hard rock bands back in the late 90's when I figured I was done with vinyl and everything would eventually show up on cd. Things like the first 2 Japan-only Quiet Riot albums with Randy Rhoads.... Especially every time I now track down these albums and re-buy them... mostly at much higher prices than I originally sold them for.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't regret the music I've traded off as much as the movies!
    but, I wish I never got rid of either. yes, I did re-acquire many of them years later!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

YES! all of my Japanese Beatles albums...including the entire set of the RED MONO albums! big mistake!

6. Another Steve

[​IMG]

Originally acquired this one about the time it came out in 1995. Owned it until about 2003 when The Best of Bonnie Raitt came out and I traded away my Road Tested. At the time, I carelessly thought there would be too much overlap without really comparing the two. Yesterday, I saw another of the 2CD Road Tested in a thrift store. Went home and this time did a thorough comparison using All Music Guide. After comparing all the songs, side-by-side, my thinking now is that Road Tested actually has the better song selection plus a few extra songs. BTW- There are only eight songs that overlap on both CDs. Now, I might keep them both, or might use The Best of Bonnie Riatt as trade bait in the future.

Kristofa likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

:buttkick:

ARK likes this.
  8. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I stupidly sold about 500 lps in about 2001, spent a long time and a lot of money replacing them. There are a few rare NZ psych/beat lps that I had (admittedly in average condition) that would cost a small fotrune to replace. Highway, La De Das, Avengers, Larry's Rebels etc.

9. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Out Of The Cradle - Lindsey Buckingham (Could not get into this album in 1998. Bought it again in 2006 and it clicked.)
    British Steel - Judas Priest (Loved it when I bought it in 1993 but I sold it a year later when I "outgrew" it. Picked it up again 6 years ago.)
    Dehumanizer - Black Sabbath

10. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I bought all the Queen remasters a couple of years ago. Really, a "what was I thinking" moment. I think I have probably played a couple of them once just to be reminded of why I never liked Queen.

PS: Sorry I suppose temporary insanity in buying is not what the thread is about. The OP is looking for insanity in selling.

dennis the menace likes this.
  11. Another Steve

[​IMG][​IMG]

Got them back. The closest thing to old school rock & roll this side of the Stray Cats. Bill Wyman and a bunch of his musically gifted buddies paying homage to another era. I love old school rock & roll. These two got away at one time; sometimes I just have to shake my head.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    melstapler likes this.
  12. Another Steve

[​IMG]
    Another one that I got a do-over on. Never should have been in question in the first place.

dino77, johnaltman and joelee like this.
  13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I don't sell anything that I think I might want to listen to at some point in the future. The only regrets I have about selling music are that my prices were too low. I sold my DCC Doors cd's for 100 each when I could've gotten 300, for example. That hurts.

14. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

A friend gave me a European import vinyl of Jeff Buckley's Grace in 1994. I must have been eating paint-chips and smoking banana peels at the time, because I thought it was too mellow and traded it in for something else. If ever there was proof that I am a world-class douche . . . that's the proof.

15. steve cranshaw

steve cranshaw New Member

New member; first 'post'. About 6 years ago we moved to Richmond from Rhode Island. At the time I felt I REALLY had to lighten my load and sold about a quarter of my albums (aprox. 300). Since recently establishing my man cave and setting up my system I've been wishing I could go back and cherry pick about 50 of those records back. Having fun, however, taking up 'the search' again. :)

ARK likes this.
  16. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Not as extreme, but selling the 2004/2006 Capitol Albums CDs by the Beatles last year, thinking the new US albums box would just repackage those ones with the rest of the American versions.

melstapler and Keith V like this.
  17. bigshot

bigshot Forum Resident

love that album

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to sell a bunch of ECM CDs including the Edition Lockenhaus discs and some Egberto Gismonti. I haven't bought them back (because ECM discs aren't cheap) but I've always regarded it as something of a betrayal of the way I think about building a collection, and I wish I had them again.

Edit: In the interests of qualifying for this thread I have now ordered the Lockenhaus set.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Oh man....I was an idiot.

In the early 80s, I gave away free all of my 70s era, original vinyl Kiss pressings. I did the same in the early 90s with cd's, WG Targets, Atomics....all the stuff we drool over here :) I had the remastered cds so why did I need those?;)

Later on, I pretty much hunted all of that stuff down and purchased them again.

20. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

From 1994-1997 I went through "The Great Purge" and sold off about half my LP collection. I sold off all kinds of gems for very little. I realized what a mistake I made in 2005 and ended up re-purchasing about 95% of those LPs and probably paid at least 10 times more than I got when I sold them. Some examples of the stuff I sold:

1. Can - Tago Mago (U.K. pressing)
    2. Soft Machine - 1st (U.S. pressing)
    3. Chrome - Box
    4. Art Zoyd - Phase IV, Les Espaces Inquiet, Generation Sans Futur, Symphonie Pour Le Jour Ou
    5. Univers Zero - 1313, Heresie, Ceux De Dehors
    6. Third Ear Band - Alchemy, Music From Macbeth
    7. M.B. - Leibstandarte SS & Leibstandarte SS 2
    8. Ramones - Ramones, Rocket to Russia
    Plus most all copies of the best albums by artists like Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, Yes, ELP, Queen, Bowie, Jethro Tull...you get the idea.

Neonbeam and Aris like this.
  21. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Welcome!

Another Steve likes this.
  22. Hooterdear

Hooterdear Well-Known Member

You don't like Queen?! That is insane!

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I went a bit too far when I downsized my collection in anticipation of our move after retirement. I ended up with more space:cheers:

audiomixer likes this.
  24. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

It's the human condition... BTW great stuff.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  25. kman

kman Forum Resident

Funny things happen in life
    Sold most of my lp vinyl in the mid nineties ( 60's 70's and 80's Rock mostly ) and am now replacing most of it with near mint quality or new reissues. The funny thing is that the stuff I sold was from my misspent youth and was probably pretty well trashed as far as sound quality goes.
    So who ever bought it is probably listening to a lot of pops and clicks with dried beer on top.

Gaslight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.