UK-manufactured subwoofer recommendations needed.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a small pair of Spendor 2-way speakers in a second system and I'd like to try adding a 10", 12", or 15" subwoofer. For the sake of keeping everything in the family, I would like a British or UK-made sub. How many subwoofer manufacturers are there that meet this criteria? So far, I can think of Rogers, Monitor Audio, B&W, REL, and B.K. Electronics/MJ Acoustics. Who else?

TheSeeker likes this.
  2. peter skinner

peter skinner New Member

I think REL are now owned by Sumiko, so they used to be British.....I wouldn't assume they are made in the UK either. Probably China. Still, RELs do work well with things like small Spendors. But then probably most subs are perfectly capable.
    I use two smaller RELs rather than one larger unit. Bit more costly, but you drive the room better.
    Mind you, for a second system, could be overkill.

3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've got a BK Electronics sub attached to my home theatre and it's lovely! The neighbours aren't so keen on it though...

5. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

If you're happy to go used, the Mission 75AS is a great sub - very 'musical '.

6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have a REL T3 that works very well with my System Audio Bookshelfs. With a little tweaking it blends really well. Word is that many of the modern speakers that are designed with small, fast, long throw woofers have a harder time getting along with large subwoofers, so it seems the trend is to go win a smaller, faster sub as well.

I bought one of the little Sumiko S.0 subs last night so I'll be comparing them pretty closely. Sumiko's propaganda says that they are designed by Sonus Faber, but they sure look a lot like the REL's. I would be shocked if they were not the same unit.

I'm not so sure about REL being now owned by Sumiko, they used to be distributed by them, but I see that they are managing their own distribution as of last year. They are not listed on Fine Sounds site. Maybe they parted with a marketing agreement, giving REL a better entry to the HT marketplace and giving Rumiko access to the T series as that seems to be the ones most favored by the audio bunch.

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I personally would opt for REL. First subs are their specialty. Second I really like the connection method they use and think it is the best for integrating the sub for music vs home theater.

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The MJ Acoustics stuff is not super well known here in the US, but from what I understand, they are supposed to be extremely good. I would suggest at least giving them a demo.

Baron Von Talbot likes this.
  10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I bought 2 MJ/Acoustic 10" downfiring subwoofers via audio affair back in the days of the banking collapse, when the pound was nearly 1 on 1 with the Euro and I am pleased with their sound. They go down real deep and can be toned to fit just right to fill the deepest 1 or 2 octaves without dominating. Price/performance wise the 50 MK ProII were great but they also got higher priced gear. My only concern is that they have no auto shut down when idle and no remote.
    I am sure by now they got that fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.