Miley Cyrus on SNL - WOW

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How is it a curse? Seems like it's working out rather well for her based on your statistic.

starduster likes this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A curse in that her work since "We Can't Stop" seems a bit unfocused. More interested in the party than the music.

Some of her work is really good, but other recent stuff needs someone to pull her aside and ask "WTF are you doing"?

chacha likes this.
  3. I'd like to be cursed with $100M and absolute creative freedom and control.

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

There are always those who base and artist's value and contribution based on how much money they have. I would argue that there are also those out there with 10 times the talent that don't have the gimmicks and media blitz who have not been able to showcase their talents to the greater audiences. If you media bomb any person with mediocre talent and start listing the personal wealth, there are plenty out there standing in line to kiss their feet.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. chacha

This is the version I like of We Can't Stop -
    http://www.vevo.com/watch/miley-cyrus/we-cant-stop-(live-on-snl)/USRV81300484

6. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

7. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I enjoyed the show last night/thought it was funny. Miley has talent. She's not for everyone.

stereoptic likes this.
  8. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I tried to watch it but had to turn to something different after a half hour or so.
    SNL just ain't what it used to be.

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I've never been a fan, but I have to agree with the OP, in this case.

She was good in the sketches too. I laughed so hard & often that my face muscles started to ache!

Sean Murdock likes this.
  10. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

The first song was OK, but that second one at the piano wasn't very good. Very boring melody, the words didn't really go anywhere either, just constantly saying "What does it mean, what does it mean", well yes Miley, what does it mean?

Apart from that, as the episode progressed, she got more comfortable and actually fit in quite well. It was a decent episode, more than I can say for most current era SNL episodes I've seen. She was shaky at the start, the opening bit was terrible, you could see her looking off at the teleprompter, but it got better as time went on.

The second to last sketch about Talk Shows was pretty disappointing though, didn't really go anywhere.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  11. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Well she did fine as an actor in the sketches for the most part. I wanted to try to listen to her sing, but I couldn't get too far. The hair outfit in the first song, then the hairy piano in the second song made me fast forward the DVR.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I really tried to see the depth/creativity etc in the songs/performance. Weird doesnt bother me. But dressing up like a cross between the chiquita banana lady and Rapunzal looking like she got in a fight with Cinderella doesnt really mean much to me. At least the banana lady had a catchy tune. I kinda liked the David Bowie shaped like Gumby line. I dont know why. Its contrived sounding to have some sort of hipness? But, I kind of like the song. Or maybe I dont. I have talent. Doesnt mean I should be on television. Shes a cult of personality. But so was Elvis. I dont see her as some feministic future. We need someone to dress up in a three piece business suit to get some edge. Where is Annie Lenox and her contemporaries? I didnt mind the screams. They just werent screamy enough.

goodiesguy and hutlock like this.
  13. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

goodiesguy likes this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Just another thread of a bunch of old men telling Miley to get off their lawn. Hard to ignore for the comedy factor.

I usually fast forward through the bands on SNL these days. I thaught she sounded good.

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

why has SNL been so irrelevant on the music scene that it must entertain with ditzy pop singers

I doubt their audience is 12-17 year old kids
    they are too busy Saturday night taking selfies and immediately posting them on facebook

gone are the controversial and intense performances

Elvis Costello - Radio Radio
    Neil Young with Pearl Jam - Rockin in the Free World
    Nirvana

etc

The last decent artists were Arcade Fire, Florence and the Machine and St Vincent
    a few gems in a pathetic run of pop fizz

16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I really like the 50's crotch grabbing sketch
    hilarious

she would have done ten in San Quentin back then
    lynch mobbed first

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

their show is full of ditzy, unfunny kids so the choice of musical acts isn't that surprising.

audiotom likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ain't that the truth. She can sing a little, but no better than 20 million other girls who want to be singers. As we all know, it's the marketing that's expensive. Miley is a built up, advertised, and established market commodity at 22 (Who does it better than Disney?) That means she be good for at least 8 years of marketing hotness until middle age starts showing up on her young brow, unless she implodes before that. When you've got a new hoola hoop, the record companies are estatic. Artistic control? If you don't think there's a 56-year old agent or record executive telling her she's a brilliant artist every time she strips down and bends over, you've got the wrong idea about selling music. Meanwhile she's this stunted mentality 22-year old singing and crying, half-naked about "Dead Petz." I think that alone says something about the confused girl-child star bubble she's living in --- and money and power aint a bonus in that situation. Next stop Neverland Ranch.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    trumpet sounds likes this.
  19. If a man learns about the impending end of the world while with his family, it's a tragedy. If he's at the office, it's an action drama. If he's on the toilet, it's a comedy. - Stanley Kubrick, loosely quoted from memory

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

21. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

"Confront a man in his office with a nuclear alarm, and you have a documentary. If the news reaches him in his living room, you have a drama. If it catches him in the lavatory, the result is a comedy." great quote.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I agree. She seems to be having a ball, which irritates some people to no end. And as you mention, she is the manipulator here, not the manipulated.
    She's young, she's wild, and she's free . Hey, that could be a triumphant lyric in a song. :p ;)

23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I don't have disdain for Miley personally

I dislike an industry that has so fabricated pseudo musical idols and brought them to huge status at the expense of really talented and original acts that just need a little exposure

Malina likes this.
  24. chacha

Everyone looks constantly at the teleprompter on SNL so nothing new there. They're continually rewriting the show up to air. Sometimes cast members don't even look at each other just over the shoulder to the script. Kinda drives me nuts. Some are better at it than others.

25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.