...Rumours...rumours..Jack White may produce next Rolling stones album..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lk4605, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Ridiculous...Jack White himself is an old fogey to a 20 year-old, and he's proven his worth many time over. He'd be a great choice to produce a new Stones album.

2. Well said. And Jack Whites music would not be considered new or modern. It's pretty much rock n roll and blusey roots.

e.s. likes this.
  3. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

The Stones were self produced for so long(Glimmer Twins) and only brought in outside producers to keep the peace after Keith woke up from his heroin haze...Kimsey and Was were not calling the shots in the traditional sense. They were and are "yes" men when it comes to the Stones.

I remember reading about how Rick Rubin decided to be more assertive with Mick for "Wandering Spirit" and that didn't work out so well...so why does anyone think Jack white has any more sway over not only Mick,but keith as well?

If they use him for anything it will be for publicity and some imaginary hip factor,because no one under the age of 40 really cares about new Stones music(and that is probably pushing it) and I think anyone that cares about Jack White is probably younger than that.

4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I've not really seen him prove his worth anywhere except for the Loretta Lynn album, which really was just chasing after the Johnny Cash revival. 15 years in the current musical climate is really not that much.

dino77 likes this.
  5. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I think his role would mainly be to say "that's a good take" and to encourage them to keep the production as raw-boned as possible. He certainly knows how to capture a raw sound, too.

Dudley Morris and wavethatflag like this.
  6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

They should go for Dan Auerbach instead. Have zero interest in Black Keys, but the Dr John album he produced, Locked Down, was a stunner. Song writing was shared by the whole band, which the Glimmer Twins would never allow, though.

7. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I don't think the Rolling Stones have to "bend over backwards willingly for a flavor of the month modern artist to produce their album? Jack White has been around for a good long while , is a big fan of the blues and r'n'b', they maybe are looking at some one who can give a different perspective on the material. I don't think they do any thing they do not want to do, as they are the ****in' Rolling Stones. By the way,this part of your post,"why do legendary bands have to bend over backwards willingly" makes no sense at all.

StephenDedalus and e.s. like this.
  8. sanQ

sanQ Forum Resident

I just want to weigh in with my own thoughts on this rumour.

I think Jack White, if he's a Stones fan, might actually be able to coax some traditional American roots sounds out of them. In particular some classic country and acoustic stuff recorded in analog would be fitting.

I think Keith Richards must be aware that people want them to do some roots material since that's what he did on his own record. Trouble and Crosseyed Heart would have been great Stones tracks.

As for them being lazy, I think that's a very uninformed opinion not based on any evidence or fact. I think they are more active than we know. I see derisive comments about A Bigger Bang that to me aren't entirely accurate in regards to laziness. It is obvious for one thing that there are some great lyrics on that album that were not a result of laziness. Production killed that record. The desire to make money rather than great art also played a hand. In this regard, it makes them appear lazy but it's that they aren't really thinking it through or they're overthinking it. Wish I knew for sure.

They need to use someone other than Don Was. They need someone to challenge them but who the band would also respect enough to listen to his opinion. For some reason they seem to only want to stick to rockers which ruins some good songs. I preferred Keith's acoustic guitar and vocal version of Trouble, but he felt the need to turn it into something that was not as good as the original version. They need someone who tells them when one thing works better regardless of whether it's a rocker or a ballad.

It's been a decade or so since they did a new studio record. Surely there are some great songs already written from the past 10 years. With the right producer I think they can still make a great record if they can bottle the raw essence of the band and keep them from trying to be too perfect and trying to impress the wrong people: casual music listeners. I could totally envision a Time Out Of Mind style production doing the band justice. But it has to be the right person who loves that old style stuff and who also knows music history. The Stones are basically music historians who need to get back to the roots that inspired them. So maybe Jack White could do it. I think he could. I'm not a big JW fan or anything but I respect his love for music irregardless of genre. He understands and loves the history plus he's a good songwriter.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

While I'm not a fan myself of Jack White, he is clearly someone who now has power and will continue making music whether it's his own or producing. He certainly has his own style which is keeping it simple and using older technology. Just because you haven't seen him prove his worth doesn't mean he hasn't proven it. He's just not on your radar. He's not on mine either, but I see no reason to knock people out there doing stuff and not caring whether it's going to be a number one record or not.

StephenDedalus likes this.
  10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Keith's daughter, actually, but the end result remained the same. And Ron Wood got co-credit for songs on Emotional Rescue, Sucking In The Seventies, Tattoo You, Undercover and Dirty Work:righton:
    And yet, in spite of the "co-producers"/"yes men" The Glimmer Twins have employed over the years since '74, the album most people consider to be the best sounding -best produced- is Black And Blue- solely produced by Mick and Keith. Point being, The Glimmer Twins are more than capable of producing themselves without any outside help...too many cooks in the producer's chair or yes men can lead to schizophrenic results in the studio.

I don't know if Jack White would be any different than Don Was, quite honestly- both are IMO retro freaks who would be too in awe of working with the Stones to maintain objectivity. If the Stones insist on using an outside producer, they need somebody who isn't a "yes man"- like Nigel Godrich having the cajones to tell McCartney, "I know you can do better than that." Maybe then we'd get one last Stones album that could be "awful good" instead of "awful bad"...

11. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Jack Frost would actually be the ideal candidate. He's probably the one guy they couldn't push around. Have him co-write the thing, too.

905, Mazzy and Socrates like this.
  12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Jack White only records analogue in his studio. Every LP that comes out from his label is all-analogue.

13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Best produced and best sounding are not the same thing. B&B is often lauded for its recording quality, not the production. Hence, credit goes to Glyn Johns and Keith Harwood.

Mazzy and telepicker97 like this.
  14. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

If White is involved, I'm sure it will be just for a song or two.

Bridges to Babylon had a gaggle of individual producers (including THE DUST BROTHERS), but Don Was oversaw the whole thing with 'The Glimmer Twins'

That's what I would expect out of JW's involvement if anything. Doubtful that he does the whole record.

15. telepicker97

Exactly. Song for song, it's kind of...a downer. They could've picked better songs

dino77 likes this.
  16. telepicker97

Ummmm...

17. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

I think he could be a good fit, whatever direction they plan to take it. My hope is that they'll get away from the signature Stones sound and try some down and dirty blues stuff. No need to overproduce, massively overdub or clean everything up.

18. Those who refer Jack White as a flavor of the month don't really know him or his music.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yawn.

johnaltman and Mazzy like this.
  20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Not so? It was my impression, but if I fired from the hip with that statement and missed, I apologized. Thinking about it, I'm sure a lot of the Third Man blues reissues are going through a digital stage for clean-up. But there's no denying that Jack White freakin' loves analogue.

Now, about his blues and Americana credentials:

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/document-records-reissues

Charlie Patton! Blind Willie McTell! The Mississippi Sheiks!

And then there's his reissue of the ENTIRE OUTPUT of the Paramount label:

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/paramount-records-wonder-cabinet

You older guys dismissing Jack White really don't know what you're talking about.

21. Django

Django Forum Resident

"Never heard of the Cat, Man"

22. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

It was probably wrong to dismiss the Third Man, which most of us probably appreciate. But I think as a musician he's just been around, rather than really distinguish himself. It's not as if we don't know who he is and what he's done.

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

So long as his off-key warbling and sloppy guitar playing aren't on the album, I don't really care if he produces it. But "sounding like crap on purpose" isn't really a thing the Stones need as far as production, but White is trendy right now, so I'm sure Jagger is foaming at the mouth to get him onboard. Keith probably wouldn't even pay attention to the producer either way. :laugh:

24. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

You're way out of touch with current music if you think that.

Farmer Mike and Mazzy like this.
  25. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Go back to The Glimmer Twins exclusively....... and no modern guests...

ohnothimagen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.