David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015, 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turntable, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Sorry if this somewhere in this thread - but where can I see the tracklist for the 'Re:call 1' lp?

2. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

My copy just got dropped off,o well so much for work I have a lot of listening to do today.
    Aaron

3. [​IMG]

4. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Glad there is some love for this mix. I was immediately taken with it and feel no shame in placing it in my HQ reissues cupboard along with the Classics, MFSL, Speakers Corner and APs.

BTW - I pulled out my old 2002 CD to hear the difference between night and day and I remembered that it had the following claim.

Is this the musical equivalent of a VW?

[​IMG]

vonwegen and Dr. Tone like this.
  5. I too am having this problem. So far Ziggy and Aladdin Sane have had this issue, but I haven't listened to everything yet.

6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Not sure if its been mentioned but i was really impressed by The Man Who Sold the World...the best sounding record in the box imo. I wonder how this compares to a first Uk Press?

7. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I sense this version is a bit more polite. I owned (and sold) two copies of the original UK Mercury a few years back and my memory was that the original was a bit tighter. I am not saying it is better because in fact the 2015 feels like it has been opened up and a lot of subtlety has been uncovered

I agree it is very pleasing and so far does appear to be the one album from the set everyone seems to agree on!

8. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Box was supposed to arrive this afternoon and I was holding off on lunch as long as possible hoping it would hit my doorstep first. And it did! I live close to work, so I ran home like a kiddie on Christmas morning and just had time to spin the original mix of Ziggy on my lunch hour. It certainly sounds different than my US RCA! But that may just because I've made a lot of changes since the last time I listened to the RCA closely, and I obviously didn't have time to do an A/B... I did have the slightest bit of crackle on the runout of side 1, but side 2 was dead silent. Here's hoping that's the extent of my runout plague!

Looking forward to more listening tonight!

9. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Well, done at last.

Not easy. It is not a great quality recording to begin with.

I finally compared "only" 4 of them (dropped 2003 since it is a different mix).

First, and probably most important, 2012 40th Ann and 2012 in 2015 album are not equal, probably label is correct and the one in the album is digital. At least so it sounds to me.

UK beats them all, but as I said, not a great recording to begin with.

MFSL is good, clearer and more detailed than the 2012 40th. and even the UK, but with an eq. that you may like or not.

2012 (album 2015) is a step behind the other 3.

Anyway I'm happy with the album for SO, TMWSTW, HD & Pinups (as per Quality) and the complements (as per complements).

I have to say I have a cold today, so maybe I should repeat the comparison some other

Wade Burrow and jon9091 like this.
  10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Looks like my Mono button is gonna get a workout.

And, yeah, I'm getting the set - on it's way from Import CD's via Amazon!

giantleech likes this.
  11. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Well, I'm still waiting for mine. It's supposed to be delivered today (in the Bay Area) by "the end of day". When do you suppose that is? It is now 4:26PM.

12. Usually by 8 pm

13. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I saw somebody in the South Bay got theirs from Pop Market (where I ordered mine from) on Friday! That was frustrating since I watched mine sit in Chicago for a full 36 hours last week... Won't get to really dig in until tomorrow night anyway, when the roommate's gone 'til late so I can PLAY AT MAXIMUM VOLUME.

But yeah, "end of day" is usually 8 PM for shippers (officially, at least, but occasionally 9 in practice), so it should still get there today!

14. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

It arrived! And, yeah, from PopMarket. I won't be able to delve into mine properly until probably Saturday, but at least it's here for me to drool over!

15. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Awesome, I came to the same conclusion on the 40th and 2015. I'm positive that the new Ziggy is cut from digital as well. The 40th 2012 is better on my system. The instrument and Vocal separation is just better on the 40th. The Kick Drum especially sounds more dynamic and natural. I did a blind test with my wife who is also an audiophile, as soon as I put the 2015 on after the 40th she chose the 40th as well. I still say though that this Box is outstanding and I'm glad they put it out, even if it's ADA. It looks like I will still be on the lookout for Vintage Bowie to feed my neurosis :crazy:

vonwegen likes this.
  16. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

I think I threw my back out lifting the package off my front step.

vonwegen likes this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Pulled the trigger. 26,000 Yen ($218) from Warner Music Japan.

18. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

that's the CD box price... no Japanese edition of the vinyl box.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You had me panicking there for a second. I checked again and it's the vinyl - Warner Japan is selling it as an import item. Man, don't do that to me.

http://shop.wmg.jp/shop/g/g2564-628409/

vonwegen likes this.
  20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member Thread Starter

Surprised not a lot of pics of the box. Here is mine. Lovely shiny box of excellent quality. Surprised Ziggy is not a gatefold like the 40th anniversary. The 40th anni is not obsolete and it has a CD with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

e.s., vonwegen, crispi and 1 other person like this.
  21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

wow... but i wish i'd been right, i just paid amazon ¥35,000 for it.

22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

they're supposed to be replicas of original issues.

jon9091 likes this.
  23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member Thread Starter

So why did they shove Parlaphone logo's all over the covers? Not sure what was wrong with the original RCA. It's as if the record exec's are trying to rewrite history.

24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Anybody heard the MoFi Ziggy vinyl and wish to compare it to the 40th/box set version?

25. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

because the records are now on parlophone? it's all down to copyright ownership. there's a line in the book about RCA logos appearing courtesy of blah, blah, blah (i'm paraphrasing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.