What are you currently collecting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OhNotHimAgain, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

jay z see the same thing i do!

speaking of jay z...he is on the list along with xzibit and warren G.... to try out

i think any album that say you punk bro dont F with me...is gangster rap :p

2. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

David Bowie vinyl. He's a tough one to collect. Makes it more rewarding, I guess. Velvet Underground too. Also difficult to collect. For both, the difficulty is finding AAA analog pressings.

3. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Power Pop!

Finished: Big Star, Fountains of Wayne, Jellyfish, Squeeze, and XTC...

Working on: Badfinger, Jason Falkner, Matthew Sweet, Merrymakers, Mike Viola/Candy Butchers...

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm trying to quit:shake:

c-eling likes this.
  5. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I'm on a early 2000s R&B/Soul vinyl kick lately. And having some nice success tracking down original pressings.

But I'm always looking out for Harrison boots and mass-choir or sacred steel type gospel.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

CDs sold by you.

:laugh:

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I am slowly building a little collection of the best Widespread Panic albums. I missed everything they did while my attention was elsewhere. Great band!

8. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

early 80s Italo Disco on vinyl

9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm sort of collecting John Zorn albums, but that's sort of project where you have to run quite fast just to stand still.

Nycademon likes this.
  10. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I think I'm going to go for ordering the Kinoko Teikoku catalog this week. There are two albums and an EP out already, with another album due for release in November. I seem to like what I've heard of them so far, and so I'm going for it.

11. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I've been collecting rare boot LPs lately, especially Trademark of Quality colored vinyl originals. Dylan, Who, Zep, Dead, Yes, Tull, Floyd...

12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just completing my Island label Bob Marley and the Wailers collection with the new vinyl reissues of Babylon by Bus and Rastaman Vibration...on order.

13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Vinyl I don't have !

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Nothing fake about Nas...he grew up in the Queensbridge Houses in Long Island and his stuff is really about his life growing up there. There is a good documentary about him you can watch.

As far as Biggie goes, have you seen the film Notorious? Might give you a better insight into him (or not). It's ok for a music biopic. Anyway, he was dealing drugs at an early age and spent time in Prison, so really one of the most genuine. A lot of these so called Gangsta Rappers have never been near that kind of scene anyway.

15. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Near mint classical from 70's-80's. Been a lot around here lately. Found 40 some of them almost all in shrink. Philips, Columbia Masterworks, London's, DG, Nonesuch. Some are digital and a few quads. Most were 50 cents. The quads were 2.00. Also a couple of Bartok box sets on VOX with the RVG stamps.

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Still working on my Pink Floyd collection. I've been picking up the 2011 remasters because I've been impressed by them. I had a chance to fill in some of the gaps like "More," "Obscured By Clouds," "Atom Heart Mother," and "Saucer Full of Secrets" with cheap, older versions but I passed on them because I want the newer ones. I'd also like their packaging to be uniform. Anyway, its been taking me awhile to find them. Amazon, here I come.

17. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Also as mentioned in another post the Loss-Leaders series. Think I am missing only Troublemakers and Peaches. I did complete the Maxell sampler collection last week by finding Jazz II in NM for .99.

18. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Anything I'm missing from the Half A Cow label I've still not found, Lemonheads, shm CDs, Japanese pressings of some CDs I already have where I read the Jap pressings are better, my thoughts.

19. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Cases of craft beer, and old scratchy 45's from the 60's.

20. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

21. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

For rock/pop, I am essentially in "maintenance mode". This means I only get something that happens to peak my interest.

Meanwhile, I am in the midst of building a reasonable jazz collection. Unlike rock/pop where I am "self-curated", I needed some guidance on where to start with jazz (it can be overwhelming). I have found the Penguin Guide to Jazz Core/Crown collection a great place to start. I am using it as the "backbone" for my jazz exploration. So I am currently collecting albums from that list. It not only has the obvious choices, but also some obscure stuff that has been hard to find. With cheap streaming options, I can audition most of these without financial risk. It seems like the Penguin Guide is essentially "done" now for any future editions.

22. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Cycling miles. I'm 40 away from my goal for the year, so now I'm wondering if I should up that goal considering it's only Oct 5.

Dreadnought likes this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

$1 used classical CDs. Don't laugh, they're usually in perfect shape.

24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

yea i saw...notorious..the movie was meh imo..

its nas's voice it sounds weak. and biggie sounds like he has a sock in his mouth. maybe i need to give biggie another shot...i have to listen to it on my stereo...i cant judge rap on my PC...

as for nas he is a nice make believe story teller but i dont like his rap style. too relaxed and without edge.

keep in mind these are initial impresions.... i might try again later.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's cool, it is great you are giving them a go, so many people don't. I'm not a big fan of Biggie, but the Nas debut album, Illmatic, is regarded as one of the best of the genre. It is a grower though imo, it's more subtle so you have to get into it. Of course that doesn't mean everyone should like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.