Opinions: Clearaudio Concept vs VPI Scout Jr

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BIGGER Dave, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello! New to the forum, but not new to vinyl. Grew up on vinyl in the 60's listening to the Monkess (I'm being honest), then Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Beatles, etc. Decided to get back into vinyl. Looking at spending $1,500 USD tops. Narrowed my choices down to Clearaudio Concept or VPI Scout Jr. I already have a new Ortofon 2M Blue in the box. Anyone have experience with both tables? Opinions? Thank you!

johnnytheg likes this.
  2. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Concept FTW!

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have listened to both turntables and they are both equally good. The concept exceeds in speed stability if that is important to you, the scout that I audiotioned was running a bit fast.
    You can not go wrong with either IMO.

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Scout JR is a fantastic table. But really not sure you can go wrong with either option.

5. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

There are a number of good options at that price point. The Concept, Rega RP6 and the VPI. I've owned the Concept, RP6 and the VPI that preceded the Scout Jr. at that price point. I would not go for a VPI at less than the Scout level (not Jr.) based on my experience. The Concept vs RP6, the RP6 is less impervious to footfalls and vibrations in general. That makes it easier to place and it has a dust cover. Both decks sound excellent. Just a matter of choice or preference. I have and am happy with my Rega RP6.

russk likes this.
  6. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I don't have any experience with the Concept, but I'm smitten with the older Scout I just got a few weeks ago. If you're not in a rush, you could wait for a deal to come up on Audiogon for a used Scout and likely get an older Scout with the JMW-9 arm for a few hundred less than than a new Scout Jr or Concept. In my reading here and elsewhere, folks seemed to think the JMW-9 tonearm has greater benefits than having the aluminum platter with the new Scout Jr. arm. Having heard the Traveler with its own arm and the aluminum platter, and the Scout w/ the JMW-9 and acrylic platter, I'm inclined to agree.

As for sound, the Traveler I've heard and Scout I have both have a very neutral, detailed sound (FWIW, some would say "clinical," but I think "neutral" is truer). I prefer that, because the source is neutral so I can build and tweak toward a sound I like with the other components in my system.

As others have said, though, at this price point, you're starting to deal with finding a sound you like. I had the chance to audition a bunch sub-$1500 tables with a friend and ended up preferring the VPI sound the most, so that's what I went with. If you can, find a place to audition the different tables and see which sound you prefer.

You might also find this recent thread on ~$1500 tables useful (though it takes a bit of an anti-VPI left turn at one point): http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-new-tt-for-1500-2015.417113/

Rickchick likes this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I've got the Concept Wood, which is a bit of an upgrade over the regular Concept, mainly due to the inclusion of the mechanical bearing Satisfy tonearm instead of the Verify with its magnetic bearing. I suspect the Satisfy tonearm makes the table less prone to foot-fall, but I've not tested that theory. If you plan to have it on a wood floor where vibration might be an issue you may want to consider the Wood. The antiskate is also much easier to adjust on the Satisfy arm, if that's important to you. I believe the fine speed adjustments are a bit easier on the Wood as well, not that you'll need to do that often (if at all).

I'm very impressed with the Concept's build quality, and the Ortofon 2M series is a very good match for it. You should be able to buy it without a cartridge, even though they generally try to sell it pre-installed. I also bought the dust cover, which is sold separately. It was a bit pricey, but I have little kids so I thought it a worthwhile investment!

I don't think you can go wrong with either Concept model at that price point. Good luck!

FashionBoy, Upinsmoke and whaiyun like this.
  8. BIGGER Dave

Thanks to everyone that offered their opnion. I made my decision. I went with the Clearaudio Concept. Bought from an online retailer who gave me $100 off retail and free shipping (hope that was a decent deal). It should arrive by the end of the week. Then I'll find out how well my catridge mounting skills are!

9. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Congrats! You'll love the Concept.

10. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I think you will enjoy your new deck, congrats.

11. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

congrats, dude with a hot chick as his avatar!

russk and utahusker like this.
  12. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I've been in the same boat for a few weeks myself. I almost pulled the trigger on the Clearaudio but I decided to go with the Scout Jr. I like the modular nature of VPI decks and I'll upgrade mine over time to lessen the sting. From the demos I've heard, the Concept is a solid deck. Tough decision, but you'll love it I'm sure! Congrats. Can't wait to get my Scout Jr this Wednesday!

Rickchick and GoldprintAudio like this.
  13. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Good luck! Can't go wrong...

14. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Old thread but maybe some interest still.....I have about a 3k budget....this puts me almost at the vpi classic level but with a cart probably well above 3k.....so my question would be this; of the rp6, traveler, 2017 scout, scout jr., concept.....what tables are more upgradeable ? How can my budget be best spent.....classic rock and 50-60's jazz (bebop , modal, hard bop, etc...) are my listening likes....footfall not a big issue......currently using a Technics sl-1600 with Stanton 681eee. I have upgrade-itis and want an improvement in overall performance.

15. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Concept isn't upgradeable unless you count buying a better (clearaudio) tonearm for it an upgrade. For $3k i'd look at the CA Performance SE

FashionBoy likes this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'd buy this

VPI Classic Beautiful Walnut Latest Model Mint! | Turntables | Mission Viejo, California 92691 | Audiogon

But to answer your question, I think the VPI Scouts would be the most upgradable

17. honestabe316

That was a consideration but I haven't been able to find one with decent cart...for my budget....I've seen the tables with tonearm for 3k but then I'll need another 500-1k for a decent cart

18. honestabe316

19. I'm shallow and love the looks aesthetics of the Concepts way over the VPIs. But in the end I chose a RP6. Love it.

FashionBoy and Cliff like this.
  20. BIGGER Dave

Old thread - Here's my update:

The Clearaudio and I didn't hit it off. Not sure why, I just didn't click with it. After about a year I sold it off and purchased a VPI Scout 1.1.

Rickchick, Cliff and Mazzy like this.
  21. honestabe316

I guess I could go for a 2017 scout with a quintet blue mc cart and that would come in a tad under my budget....soundstage has the 365 day full price trade in guarantee so if I thought the scout wasn't where I wanted to be, I could always move up to a classic.....after weeks of researching the overall vibe I get is that there is a high level of satisfaction with the VPI tables.....the regas seem to produce a high satisfaction rate as well.....clearaudio almost as high.....

22. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

When you're in that range for budget, it's really splitting hairs. Unless a TT is so badly implemented, they should all sound great when cost is about that price point. I ended up choosing VPI because I wanted American. The bonus is VPIs are about as modular as you will find.

23. honestabe316

This is no easy task for someone moving up from the Technics direct drive scene......

24. honestabe316

I have a mix of old vinyl and new vinyl.....some mfsl, music matters, AP, etc......don't really play vg+ or worse vinyl and mostly classic rock and bebop, modal' harbop jazz.....does anyone have any experience with the ortofon blue mc cart as a entry level mc cart? My Yamaha pre should handle this cart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.