Fear The Walking Dead - amc Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Am I understanding this right - that the group released 2000 zombies in order to distract the guards so that they could attempt a rescue? If so, didn't they realize that doing so would kill a huge number of people (whether at the compound or days later as the zombies continue to move around Los Angeles)?

Scott222C, Rufus McDufus and EVOLVIST like this.
  2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I don't think they really care about anyone else.

Stormrider77, JohnnyH and Dubmart like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Even worse in many ways they left the gates open so the zombies can easily feast on their neighbours, this group haven't lost any thoughts about saving others, they don't seem to have had any to start with, quite a contrast with the original group in "The Walking Dead", it took Rick at least two seasons to get that way.

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

One of the reasons for the slow burn of this series (and why some people complain it was TOO slow, without enough zombie killings) was to show how caring people who aren't very good in a crisis (e.g. Travis) can go to un-caring people (at least for anyone not their "family") who are much better in a crisis. Collateral damage has become a non-issue.

John K.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Fair point.

That said, the did have information that the citizens of the neighborhood were planned to be "euthanized." So maybe they thought it the lesser evil for them to try their odds against mindless zombie herds, rather than an organized military?

But yeah, they could have given their neighbors a head's up, at least. Just saying.

6. They still really don't understand what is going on with these people. That EVERYONE comes back after death. They just learned that in this final episode.

I agree there have been dialogue and pace issues. Even watching Talking Dead last night you could see by the producers answers, a bit of defense when asked about most of this season was more family drama and less zombies. But you could tell they will go big time next season with a lot of new areas to explore.

7. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It was kind of amusing to see Hardwick and the showrunner on “Talking Dead” actually for once slightly acknowledging (if deflecting) criticism of the show. It was kind of insulting that Hardwick seemed to kind of lump all the criticism into the one category of viewers who complain that the characters in “Fear” don’t know stuff that they shouldn’t know yet about the outbreak, etc. I have seen that criticism, and it is partly unfair.

But there’s a heap of other valid criticism, and I also found it telling that they were seeming to stretch to even fill one hour of “Talking Dead” with enough discussion-worthy stuff after a full SIX episodes of the show. Once again, they have a showrunner on who can’t say anything about the next season of the show (and who seems humorless in terms of demeanor, and/or taking this sketchy show far too seriously, though I’m not sure how much that matters for the show). The two actors seemed nice enough, but at least the guy playing Travis comically appears to not be all that familiar with “Walking Dead” in general (mis-speaking and calling Rick Grimes “Rick James”). They also both seemed to be rather clueless about their own characters apart from what was on screen that we saw (and a few slightly interesting tidbits about stuff that got re-written).

trem two likes this.
  8. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

The show is set in Los Angeles.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:confused:

10. I thought it was a funny comment on the cliche of LA...

Lownote30 likes this.
  11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Oh! OK.

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Episode 6: Hey...zombies!

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Yeah let out from the stadium. Just like most sports fans. Zombies. :tiphat:

14. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Put me in the camp that thinks they rushed through the demise of civilization far too quickly. I was looking for a very slow, insidious and creepy decline perhaps spanning a couple of seasons. Now that they rushed through all of that (imho), it's just like the other show...a bunch of people running to survive.

Looks like they will be stuck at sea for season two just like in the other series, where they were stuck on a farm.

While I think the episodes were executed really well with some genuinely creepy moments, the general story and storytelling strategy let me down.

15. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I though six episodes was a little skimpy, considering the huge built in audience.

I would like amazon to refund Half me money, we start a petition ?

16. From the Hollywood Reporter. More at their site

What's the biggest lesson you learned from season one and how it was received?

Being aware of pace. We purposely developed the show in a slower fashion than people are accustomed to. We reached the point of critical mass by the end of the season, which was by design. We ended the finale with our first horde and our largest action sequence of the season. Once you do that, you have to be mindful of that moving into subsequent seasons. There will expectations. We always attempt to challenge those expectations and make the show as tonally specific and as different as it needs and wants to be. You also don't want to ignore diehard fans of The Walking Dead and that's important to think about moving forward.

17. In other words, don't blame us if you think it sucks. We're challenging you, see?

18. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Good episode. The really badly CGI'd Abigail spoiled the tone a bit though.

Veech and nosticker like this.
  19. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Maybe next season they sail to Canada and can stop pretending that LA is Vancouver ? And spend a few episodes on the boat, that should save cost too. We can't wait for the exquisite dialogues, deep insights and intellectual banter such a scenario would provide.

What a disappointing ending, no one got eaten, everybody still wears the same clothes and they drive on the LA motorway to the posh house without any other cars in sight, stuck or otherwise ? What a joke !

Oh, and pls continue to not miss any cliche (Soldiers - BAAAD, Doctor - GOOD, Latin American Immigrant - SHADY with DAAARK PAST, Rich dude - SLIIICK, Addict - UNPREDICTABLE but SOO HELPFUL and UNDERSTANDING) in seasons coming.
    Hey, I miss the obligatory fat dude or alternatively the thin bespectacled nerd that is totally AWESOME with electronics ......

Rufus McDufus and zeppage2 like this.
  20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They did not show them leaving the gate open or closing it. They were on to the next scene. The tortured soldier probably would have left the gate open anyway. LOL.

21. I was thinking "where the heck are all the claymore mines?".

I liked the finale quite a bit regardless of the army's poor showing.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They definitely left it open, they show the third vehicle the pick up slow down as it exits the gate and then speed up again, obviously he was trying to hide the fact he'd let the soldier go, but for none of them to stop for 30 seconds and close the gate when part of the plan was to unleash 2,000 walkers was totally shocking, especially as they'd shown us all the innocent survivor families sat around their tables, this really isn't a very sympathetic group of people except perhaps for two or three of the kids.

jriems likes this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't think fragmentation weapons are very effective against zombies, they slow them down and "kill" some, but you end up with a lot of damaged ones and crawlers. Now a couple of quad mount .50 M2s firing on a fixed axis, (chest and head height), directly towards 2,000 walkers in a nicely bunched column may have proved extremely effective, 200 rounds per gun and a squad of infantry should have been able to finish off any that were left.

24. Scott222C

And their "evolution" (or rather devolution) from being good-doing moralist teachers (or counselors?) to reckless wannabe survivor-badasses wasn't really shown/told in a believable way - they just easily (with no real breakdowns/doubts/regrets) went from Mother Teresa/Ghandi to Margret Thatcher/ General Patton in a heartbeat ;)

Not at all like Rick and Co IMO

Dubmart and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  25. Scott222C

And ALWAYS having only those lame chain link fences as a defensive measure doesn't really make sense, those are just made to be toppled over - it was believable in the short time-frame the military has, but not if you had more than a few days to get wise on the zombies - you should be able to bring up a solid perimeter with those concrete highway separation thingies.

Of course my personal fave would be a middle-ages water filled moat with crocodiles and such :goodie:

I was rather fond of those improved "obstacle courses" made of wooden stakes from TWD