Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Yep, had an email from UPS yesterday telling me how much so fortunately I had cash ready. (£20.12) which means I ended up paying £60 for this set...not a huge saving after all.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Thrillington

/rant

The reason for the lack of hi-Rez bonus tracks must surely be because of the resolution of the tape they were recorded on. Sure b-sides could have been remixed to 24/96 too, but I doubt that's possible for the demos.

As for track listings, well we had that debate months ago. I'm sorry you feel you got stung, but to say they 'blew' these sets is an overreaction. They sound great (to me) and the books are as good as ever. Great photography, great insight, and very happy to have them on my shelf and finally own legit and excellent quality physical and digital versions of these albums.

Beatles Fan 4 Life and Paul H like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well taste differs-as I mentioned before I really aprecoate and the bonus stuff ecspecially on Pipes of peace are a revelation for me
    One of the amazing thing about this forum and Macca-admirers in particular is that we rarely agree about anything.
    :)

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Mine should be arriving today. No email as yet to say how much import duty I've been charged..

5. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

All were announced as being available in 24/96 though

Captain Groovy likes this.
  6. Thrillington

I know, I'm not disputing that. Probably just a PR copy and pasting. But that doesn't detract from other aspects of these quality deluxe editions in my opinion.

7. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

No, not at all. These releases have been fantastic and these 2 new additions are not exception.

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I've seen a few people say this - that they'll never do business with Kings Road again.

However, if the Flowers album comes with some sort of "Kings Road Exclusive" (limited to 1000 worldwide) would you (and others who've said this) really pass up on getting the most exclusive and collector-desirable version, just because Kings Road is the vendor?

I'm certainly displeased with how they've handled it but, at the same time, know that I'm a diehard collector at heart, and sometimes you get screwed just because of that. I guess I'm resigned to it. :crazy:

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Only skimming through the thread to see if people are already past "shipped/non-shipped"-stage, but I'm seeing above post and I'm afraid I have to agree with it. Especially the part made bold, I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing those specific things. Unfortunately this is something I feared from the very first samples (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tug-of-war-remix.452078/page-2#post-12756633), and when I listened to the remix last week I was at first impressed by things as 'Wanderlust', but seeming to notice the lost "dimension" in the sound as well. Not had time to listen to it properly yet, so might be something to get used to.

10. Thrillington

I for one enjoy the new remix, but I'm not overly familiar with the original so perhaps subtle changes don't stand out to me as much.

I suspect this has something to do with Paul's meddling. From the article on PM.com we know the new mix was created to be as close to the original as possible, and then Paul would review it and suggest changes. This is getting way into speculation zone, but I suspect any EQing/compression was his idea (see recent albums) whether this is an artistic choice, or perhaps his hearing range isn't as great as it used to be (would suggest why highs seem boosted to some) I don't know.

Previous remasterings have been stellar, particularly with Paul acting only to approve the final result. Perhaps if he had not been as hands on with the remix, we might have had a result more inline with the original. As it is, it'll split opinion. Put me firmly in the 'approve' camp for the remix.

supermd, Sean Murdock and theMess like this.
  11. Good morning Kings Road,

Did you have a ****ing nice weekend? Where's my order ?

12. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

The remix is too "in your face" for my tastes. I'll be using the original mix from the deluxe edition as my go-to.

13. Bobby Morrow

Mine arrived about 5 minutes ago from Amazon.ca.

Import duty was £26.92 on top of the £73 I paid for them. Works out around £50 each. Still loads better than what Amazon UK are charging!

Haven't unwrapped them yet. POP looks perfect, but I can see a small ding in the bottom left hand corner of TOW. Not bad, though.

theMess, OobuJoobu and Johnny Reb like this.
  14. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Interesting that people feel the remix makes everything too in-your-face. I actually think the orchestra on the title track is muted compared to the original mix.

15. Bobby Morrow

I hope they're not holding them back to dispatch with 'Flowers In The Dirt'.:)

16. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Same. I really enjoy them. I found a video before the reissues came out and I withheld from listening to it before the releases come out. There were a few songs I heard before like the Ebony and Ivory demo and Give Us A Chord Roy.

theMess likes this.
  17. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well I wouldn't say that exactly...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    theMess, Chikolad, Paul H and 2 others like this.
  18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I'm not sure. My beef - so far! - are mainly purely technical things, and I can only assume McCartney was mainly involved with the creative aspect of the remix.

If I remember correctly it took them 4 weeks to remix, which they made sound like a huge amount of time for a project like this. But if you know that they had to painstakingly recreate the original mix from the original tapes first, that isn't that long of a time to me. On top of the lazy errors in the books this almost makes me think it was a hasty done project altogether.

The remastering of everything in these series has indeed been fantastic so far. And unlike the actual information in the books at times carefully approached in a very detailed way, for example how they sweetened up the rough edit in between speech and take on the original master of 'Listen To What The Man Said', which nobody would've cared about if that was kept like it was, yet they've fixed it. That makes it a bit annoying they didn't remaster - is this confirmed anyway? Didn't A/B myself yet - the original mix of 'Tug Of War'.

theMess, Plan9 and Thrillington like this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Which will arrive first?

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  20. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I thought many pages back someone said it was a clone of the 1993 remaster. That's cool if it's the one you say it is.

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Pipes of peace was-for many years-one of my least favourite Macca-albums. Started to re-evalute it a couple of years ago. This new great remaster makes me change my mind even more. Actually it s a great and very eccentric album that musically it s all over the place. So much inventive music one rather find in albums these days. For instance the acoustic-guitar-break in Sweetest little show or the wondruos pop-sensibilities of So bad or why not Paus killer-vocals in Keep under cover. Songs not asuniformly brilliant as Tug on war but much closer than I used to think
    :)

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The vocals and guitars are in your face, the acoustic instruments and orchestra are indeed further back.

supermd and AppleCorp3 like this.
  23. Thrillington

I thought I'd type up and share this tidbit from the back of the Pipes book regarding the Say Say Say 12" and new remixes. Paul was reviewing bonus tracks at the time, including the instrumental 12" mix:

24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

You are not alone at all. I listened to the remix on my system, headphones, and in the car.

I noticed the loudness, compression, and overdone high end. After each listening (sometimes during) my ears HURT from listening.

The other things like having the orchestra too low and even some vocals are annoying as well. As I've stated here it's like Paul thought the hi hat and shrill percussion were were the most important instruments in the mixes.

There also appears to be a fader error on Ballroom Dancing - the first "biiiiig beeeeee deeeeeee" - seems to have the backing vocals faded up late. Anyone notice this?

I'm sticking to my original cd mix.

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The wonderfully ecentric It s not on from Pipes of peace is one of the best unrealesed tracks in the whole series imo. The best thing is that it aparently deals with someone named Arnie(if my ears serves me right) who is a"normal type"

I knew it- Arnie sneaks in everywhere:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.