New Megadeth album "Dystopia" (2016)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Megadeth just released a new song, listen to it here:

What do you guys think? Sounds pretty promising to me.

Here are the details for their upcoming album, Dystopia due January 22:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hear-megadeths-brand-new-song-fatal-illusion-right-now/

"Dystopia" final track listing:

01. The Threat Is Real
    02. Dystopia
    03. Fatal Illusion
    04. Death From Within
    05. Bullet To the Brain
    06. Post American World
    07. Poisonous Shadows
    08. Look Who's Talking
    09. Conquer Or Die
    10. Lying In State
    11. The Emperor
    12. Last Dying Wish
    13. Foreign Policy

[​IMG]

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Was about to post this myself.

By the way, Iced Earth also had an album and song titled Dystopia in 2011.

onionmaster and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  3. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bump. This album needs to be talked about.

4. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Ooooh. That sounds more like 'it'.

Purple and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

On first listen I like, but don't love, the new song. But it is a way better drum sound than they've been getting with Shawn Drover who always sounded so generic with Megadeth.

I like that album cover. It doesn't say "Dystopia" anywhere so hopefully that is the final artwork. I don't really like that title because Iced Earth used it so recently, but that's of no real relevance.

Typical Dave though, one minute he's insulting fans for wanting Rust In Peace Pt 2 and the next he's decided to make a thrash record. Who knows though, until we hear it. I've enjoyed their recent output a little less with each release. Endgame was damn near a classic, Thirteen was pretty good, and the less said about Super Collider the better. Hopefully Dystopia will break this downward trend.

Look forward to this thread growing as the months go on!!

6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Album artwork is awesome. I have every other Megadeth album, so I have to get this as well.

I lied, I don't own "Still Alive And Well", or any of the live albums for that matter.

warewolf95 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The last Megadeth album I purchased was Rust In Peace. Ever since then I've listened to each new release and in the end decided I didn't need to own it. Maybe this will be the one...but I'm not holding my breath.

chilinvilin and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love the album artwork.

9. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Just listened to the song; it doesn't do much for me. In my opinion it has a generic sound like the rest of the albums they've released since United Abominations. It's also a shame that Dave's voice has gotten noticeably worse on both Super Collider and this new song. I've been a Megadeth fan for years, enjoying every album they've released from Killing Is My Business through United Abominations, but the last three albums just haven't been the same quality. I hope to hear some better quality songs on this album, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

onionmaster and Rose River Bear like this.
  10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I am a longtime fan & i like this song ,but i don't love it , but looking forward to hearing more ...hoping for a great album this time .....

Dr. Metal MD and Purple like this.
  11. MoveAlongHome

MoveAlongHome Well-Known Member

Can't believe I'm the first to say this -- Megadeth has been terrible since like 2005. The System has Failed was a pretty good album, but everything after that has been ridiculously bad. This new song is also very weak. I'd rather spend my time listening to good metal.

onionmaster and Finch Platte like this.
  12. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Sounds pretty rockin. Wow.

13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this is actually a fairly awesome song musically. the problem here, unfortunately, is Mustaine's horribly processed vocal. the harmonizing effect (and all the other crap on his voice) makes it sound as if his vocal was dropped in from a different song.

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Sounds like Captain is having some writers block coming up with anything that sounds fresh. The song sounds like a pastiche of three or four great Megadeth songs (Black Friday). The playing is amazing though as is expected.
    I guess at some point I will post it on the ABA thread.

The Megadeth Album By Album Thread

Clanceman and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  15. motionoftheocean

agreed, but given that Mustaine's best days are obviously a few decades in the rearview mirror, I'd much rather hear an evocation of Peace Sells... than the Drover era.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i enjoyed it, huge fan

Clanceman and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  17. progrocker71

Black Friday plus Devil's Island....without the personality that Chris and Gar brought to that ultimate Megadeth lineup.

18. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I dug this song more than any other Megadeth material in the last 10 years. Even though I don't like the overly processed drum sound at least Chris Adler brings some interesting patterns to the table. Drover was so boring to listen to! Hope this new album rocks as much as this song!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  19. progrocker71

In other news Nick Menza has now joined OHM along with Chris Poland and they have been playing some gigs in Los Angeles with that new lineup. Definitely going to go check them out and at this point fusion is more interesting to me than Megadeth. :D

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just listened to "Fatal Illusion" - it starts kinda meh, but once that bass line starts about 58 seconds in, it gets pretty good. They should have just cut the opening minute.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  21. motionoftheocean

I do know that Menza was definitely auditioned to be part of the new Megadeth lineup. There are lots of rumor swirling as to why Menza wasn't part of this album, ranging from him not being in the shape necessary to play the music, to Mustaine hating him, to Menza just not being a good enough drummer. One of the most persistent is that Menza was going to be brought into the fold but wanted more money than he was offered and so Mustaine told him to hit the bricks.

I'm curious if anybody has heard something more definitive. I was never a huge fan of Menza - always preferred Gar's drumming - but I find Adler incredibly dull and it would have been nice to have 3/4 of what many view as the classic Megadeth lineup together again.

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

adler isn't a member though right? just doing the stuff until they get someone

23. progrocker71

Correct, he's a session player on this album.

Dr. Metal MD and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. motionoftheocean

I really don't know but to me, as someone who has zero intention of seeing Megadeth live anymore, the album is the most mportant thing.

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Don't want to de-rail the thread, but that is an overlooked band in my opinion. I am also looking forward to this. I have been a Megadeth fan for a long time. And yes, not great, but a decent song.

abbeyroad2 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.