Set up of a REL T5 Sub Bass System

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rich C, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident Thread Starter

My brother was kind enough to let me borrow his spare subwoofer. And it looks like I can have it indefinitely. That's the good news. The bad news is that I am a complete incompetent in this area and need some help from some of you experts.

First question is the connecting of wires. The manual states that the Red Wire should go to the R Channel positive terminal and the Yellow Wire to the L Channel positive terminal. Perhaps I misunderstood my brother, but I was under the impression that it didn't matter. As long as I connected each one to the positive terminal in each channel. The Black Wire is connected to the convenient Negative Terminal in the Left Channel.

Right now they are in reverse to what the manual calls for. Do you think I should switch this? Or are they just trying to keep everything in order? I can't see how this would make much of a difference. Do you?

Second question. They recommend a particular track to adjust the volume, cross fading, and to help in woofer placement. It is called Cosmo...Old Friend and is found on Sneakers Original Soundtrack Album Columbia catalog number CK 53146. I can't find it at my library or in the extended network of my Library.

I would gladly buy it as a download, but iTunes does not have it. Does anyone know of another source where I might be able to download that particular song, or the entire album? I'm not looking to steal music but if anyone knows of where I might get it for free I am not against it. I am ordering a copy of the CD from eBay but I would like to commence on setting this up properly.

Or, can anyone recommend other tracks that may be useful in setting up this REL?

Here is what REL has to say in part about using this particular track:

To begin the set-up process, choose a piece of music that has a repetitive bass line that is very low in frequency. We recommend track 4 from the soundtrack to Sneakers (Columbia CK 53146). This has a repetitive bass drum throughout that gives you plenty of time to move the woofer around, but more importantly, the venue was quite large for this recording and therefore it has a very deep and large-scale bass signature. This type of track is perfect for the set-up process and should be played at the highest reasonable level expected for system playback. Working with a partner, one in the listening position and one at the REL manipulating the controls, is the most effective and eļ¬ƒcient way to set up the REL. If working alone, the initial steps in the set-up can be very effectively carried out from the location of the REL. Trying to ignore all other music in the track, listen for the bass drum and its effect on the listening room.

I apologize for opening another thread. But I did not see where this question would fit in any of the other threads.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No reason not to connect it precisely how the manual says, it's not any more difficult to do it that way. I have a feeling once you get the physical connection right you won't need that specific track to dial it in the way you prefer.

Rich C likes this.
  3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Start out with all three levels dead center. If you are not using the LFE input, turn it all the way down. Adjust the crossover until you get just a little thump without boom, then adjust the level to the level that sounds good to you. Toggle the 0-180 switch to the setting where you perceive more bass. After that just make minor tweaks, for music use you should hear the bass as if it's coming from the main speakers. The sub should bring no attention to itself.

I know there's more sophisticated mean to set it up, but I think you'll get pretty close with this. Do it with some music with some variety in the bass department rather than just a thumping drum. It's tempting to use the heartbeats in Speak to Me (DSOM) but it's easy to get heavy handed with it if you use that and make other tracks too muddy. I prefer something something with a bit more snap to it rather than a big boom. One of my favorites is the opening to Bloody Well Right. Has great impact at the bottom end. Another great one is Batuka which opens Santana's third LP. Actually that's kinda my reference track for overall sound. IF you get the sub right, that track is amazing, if the sub is not, it can be thin and irritating.

Good luck! The T5 is a really great piece!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Rich C likes this.
  4. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info Bayou! Funny you should mention DSOM. That was the first CD I tried as I first connected it last night. I wasn't even necessarily thinking of the opening heartbeats, but I must have been intuitively. Nor was I trying to dial it in at all at that moment as I did not have a manual at that time. Just running it random last night and adjusting the dials wily-nily!

I do have a good CD of Crime of the Century so I will give that a try next based on your recommended procedure. On vinyl I just tried Tumbleweed Connection as that has a pretty good bass presentation without the aid of a sub on my system.

I know I will be tempted by the boom boom because I have found my A21 Halo Parasound Amp with my Paradigm Studio 100s to always be very weak in the bass department as I run my system without tone controls. CD has balanced inputs and I use Direct 2 to hook up my turntable.

My brother said he may be able to stop over in a couple of days to help me out as well.

This is all new to me and I am currently still breaking in a new phono stage. In a way, I am afraid I am just going to mess it all up now.

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I'm running a T3 on my A23/P5 with System Audio bookshelves so our setups are not all that different, though I am moving the T3 to the Den and just bought a Sumiko S.0 for my little office system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.