The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Don Cherry - Krzysztof Penderecki & The New Eternal Rhythm Orcestra – Actions (Wergo?)
    — With Don Cherry, Manfred Schoof, Kenny Wheeler, Tomasz Stanko / Paul Rutherford, Albert Mangelsdorff / Gerg Dudek, Peter Brotzmann, Willem Breuker, Gunter Hampel / Fred van Hove, Terje Rypdal, Buschi Niebergall, Peter Warren ,Han Bennink, Loes Macgillycutty

[​IMG]

93curr, royzak2000, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  2. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Herb Robertson and the Double Infinitives – Music for Long Attention Spans (Leo Records)
    — With Steve Swell, Bob Hovey, Hans Tammen, Chris Lough, Tom Sayek

[​IMG]

3. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

i have the xrcd version, and i also sounds great!

Voltaire and bluemooze like this.
  4. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

ROY HAYNES / CRACKLIN' NEW JAZZ / 1963 / UCCU-9453 JAZZ THE NEXT STANDARD JAPANESE MINI LP

• Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone)
    • Ronnie Mathews (piano)
    • Larry Ridley (bass)
    • Roy Haynes (drums)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Solitary1, rxcory and 11 others like this.
  5. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Joe Henderson Quartets - Tetragon ( from discs 1 & 2 of The Milestone Years)

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Satoko Fujii Orchestra New York – Shiki (Libra Records)
    — With Oscar Noriega, Briggan Krauss, Ellery Eskelin, Tony Malaby, Andy Laster / Natsuki Tamura, Herb Robertson, Steven Bernstein, Dave Ballou / Curtis Hasselbring, Joey Sellers, Joe Fiedler / Stoko Fujii, Stomu Takeishi, Aaron Alexander

[​IMG]

7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Joe Chambers man, right on. :thumbsup: I've done my own praising of his talents here as well and frankly, I believe he needs to be part of that elite group of drummers that changed the world when speaking of the Masters that include: Max Roach, Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Roy Haynes etc. In fact, Chambers had not only a technique and versatility that equaled or bettered some of the "greats" but he had quite a list of fine compositions as well. He was not just a drummer/leader in name only but was a gifted composer. Not to mention that he has taught at the University level at both the New School and UNC. I'd argue that some of the greatest Blue Note dates of the 60's from the likes of Bobby Hutcherson, Wayne Shorter, Andrew Hill, Grachan Moncur, etc etc would not sound the way they do without his playing and composing skills. He plays compositionally with an overarching logic no matter how out things would get. Yeah, Joe Cambers. :thumbsup:

Marzz, charlesp, Six String and 2 others like this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

9. AxiomAcoustics

How about some additional discrepancy? First, the Revenge Records issue of Revenge done by Sue Mingus and Joel Dorn states that the date was recorded on the 18th, not the 17th.

In addition, I'm looking at the extensive discography that is included in Myself When I Am Real, the Mingus bio by Gene Santoro and it states the following itinerary:

1) April 17-18, 1964: Salle Wagram, Paris. Which resulted in several boots, the LP Meditations and ultimately Revenge.
    2) April 19, 1964: Theatre des Champs-Elysees, Paris. Which resulted in The Great Concert.

So not Leige on the 19th. In fact, the listing is so detailed that it lists the 19th date in Paris as occurring from 12:10 AM-2:45AM. (Would that make it the 20th?)

Who knows, I guess the certainty is that we have some wonderful music from this run that could use some attention and a comprehensive release.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Speaking of Joe Chambers.....

Don Friedman: Metamorphosis

Don Friedman - piano
    Attila Zoller - guitar
    Richard Davis - bass
    Joe Chambers - drums

Recorded Feb 22, 1966 in Englewood Cliffs. One of my favorite Friedman dates. Half the material is by Zoller though.

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, bluemooze, rxcory and 7 others like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My collection has a hole in the "F" section.

12. AxiomAcoustics

Is that what they mean by an "F-hole"? :)

Fastnbulbous and Six String like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I knew there was some sort of twisted history but I couldn't remember the details. I have Etcetera and Adam's Apple
    but I didn't have the title track either which is what threw me off when I found it.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Today so far

[​IMG]

Followed by
    [​IMG]

Followed by
    [​IMG]

Followed by
    Disc 2
    [​IMG]

Followed by
    The Bee Hive Sessions box set from Mosaic, disc 9, the Ronnie Matthews disc.

Cactus Bob, bluemooze, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  15. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Here's hoping this one will be less controversial... ;)
    Charles Mingus - The Clown w. Curtis Porter (AS), Jimmy Knepper (Tbn), Wade Legge (P) Dannie Richmond (D)

[​IMG]

Worth it for "Haitian Fight Song" alone.

16. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Unfortunately, my collection has got more holes than sections, although this thread is helping me to fix this ;)

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Here's some detailed discographical information on Mingus's 1964 European tour:
    http://mingus.onttonen.info/1964.html.

[Note that it hasn't been updated in a while, but makes a good reference.]

Marzz likes this.
  18. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

19. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

my all time favorite

[​IMG]

20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Aha!

April 19
    Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Paris, France
    1. The concert started 0.10 a.m. and ended 2.45 a.m. (according to Musidisc liner notes) - therefore this is under April 19, not April 18
    So that's how they managed to play two dates on the 19th April...easily done if they were playing in the evening in Liege.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

I believe that's what I said earlier.

22. Roger Thornhill

Oh sorry did you? Apologies!

23. AxiomAcoustics

I see that Bro/Ada/Ed/No (my moniker, easier to type) is at Oto in a few days for two nights.

24. AxiomAcoustics

More discrepancies. This discog drops the second night at Salle on the 18th. Ah well, another good reference.

25. Roger Thornhill

Yes, one night booked a while ago - I don't pass up opportunities like that easily!

I'm off to see Matana Roberts tomorrow night who's doing Coin Coin Chapter Three - looking forward to that one a lot.