Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

Like I posted earlier my black side LP from the Queen II set has an annoying sound problem. Sort of a prominent ssssh sound. It starts already in the opening groove and lingers on through the whole side. Cleaning did not get rid of it unfortunately but there is no visible indicator of what's wrong. The side looks clean as a whistle. After contacting Amazon France they are not able to swap only this album. Instead they are offering to replace or refund the whole set or give me a discount of 20% of the buying price.
    A though choice. Getting a new set and dealing with sending a big heavy box back is not ideal. Having a whole set without any problems is normally my first choice, but this discount of 20% for one side of a whole set has me tempted as well. I still have an old vinyl copy and several cd versions as well. It is one of the backdraws of getting a whole box set if these partial problems occur and you have to make tough decisions

Scotbot likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I would take the 20%, and buy a new, separate (black vinyl) version that plays better.

3. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Amazon offered me a new LP of A night at the opera. Yes the black one. I'll get it. I keep the white and play the black one.

4. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I have just had a response back from Amazon Italy and they have agreed to send me a replacement copy of the standalone (black) Innuendo. Best bit is that I don't have to return the faulty disc, so may keep it as a second copy or list it on eBay with a reduced price.

Hearing the stories of the isolated problems with the boxes im glad that I went for the option of buying the standalone versions as it looks like getting a replacement for individual faulty discs is not easy. It makes me wonder whether Queen Productions will offer help like they did with Roger Taylor's "The Lot" boxset but that would only apply if you bought it through the Queen online store I guess.

Like the other poster says I would take the 20% and buy a stand alone version. That way you get the album on one LP and you don't have to mess around changing discs after 23 minutes. I think Queen Productions were off their heads when they thought of having two discs for that one album - that's a gimmick that's over the top.

Sondek and jon9091 like this.
  5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I completely agree on A Day At The Races. I do seem to like A Night At The Opera a little more than you do but my only other copy is a US first pressing and is a bit noisy. ADATR? That's one of my favorites from the box. I'm anxious to hear what you think of Jazz. It seems to be one of the lowest level recordings in this set but once I really turn it up I find it to sound great. Others have not been so enthusiastic.

I've had a blast playing through this box. Many I've played more than once and there is variation in sound quality throughout. I guess my biggest surprise is how much these need to be cranked to sound good. LPs criticized for compression and peak limitting sounding best cranked just kind of doesn't make sense to me. Many of these sound a little dead until the volume knob is 30% beyond where I would normally have it.

JWew likes this.
  6. dachada

dachada Senior Member

This ssssh sound noise is really there. Just use headphones and play your record at half of speed during the silent parts and there is something like a FM white noise

7. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

Amazon.ca has finally shipped the Queen boxset...should receive it early next week.
    Cannot believe how much the price has gone up on this boxset with Amazon.ca....costs 120 dollars more now than what I payed for it when I put my order in Back in early July.
    Will this boxset be a limited pressing? Some sellers are even selling it for 900 bucks...yikes.

TyphoonTip likes this.
  8. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

How did you contact them? Did you use the regular formula or via the product return page? THX!

9. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

By phone (call us - and they call you in about 1 minute)

mr.dave likes this.
  10. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Thank you! I have found a link a link for email conversation and just wrote them an email..

11. stagnation

Out of the 5 standalone versions i have purchased, i have to say that ADATR has to be my favourite. The sound just flows out of the speakers perfectly. By that time in 1976 i think that they got their sound on record perfected and it benefits on this new pressing. I'm hoping that News Of The World sounds as good as that album as that has a large drum and bass fullness sound which they finally got right on the 2011 remaster and mimics the original pressing from 1977.

I think it has something to with the fact that Roy Thomas Baker wasn't at the helm as i think all the drums on the albums upto ANATO and JAZZ sound a mess. Maybe its something to do with the "Trident Drum Sound" that Roy was accustomed to - Both Genesis' 'Trespass' & 'Nursery Cryme' and Bowie's 'Hunky Dory' also suffer from a rubbish drum production in my opinion which were recorded at Trident.

JWew, ruben lopez and Scotbot like this.
  12. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

Hm I guess it's limited at some point, but I guess not at a low one. I mean, you can still buy two different "The Doors" box sets, while the dire straits box (sold mine) is out of print. I don't have money to waste at the moment, that's why I hope the Queen Box is still available around the chrismas time

13. stagnation

There was a post on the Queen Official Forum that the box was limited to 1750 copies in the UK alone - not sure how true that is though as no "official" word has been given.

14. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

Well I just got the box today. Haven't played anything yet. That will happen slowly over a loooong period of time. Work and a five year old will see to that!

I've checked everything visually, and I have to say it's a thing of beauty. From the care they've shown in reproducing the sleeves (although the hue is slightly off on a couple ...as it was in 2011) to the fantastic collection of pictures/hand written lyrics featured in the book. I haven't read it yet, but I'm expecting little errors here and there ...there always is. But they could have accidentally swapped the text for a bio of Wham, and I'd still be satisfied with the book's visuals.

The box itself is even quite beautiful. I admit to being a little shocked at how much I love the look of the whole thing.

Now, one would never spend this kind of money on aesthetic appeal alone. That would be utter madness. BUT, this would go very close indeed.

I just need a few select titles that I loved from the 2011 series to do their thing, and I'll be totally satisfied.

...P.S. My 'The Game' looks the same as everyone else's. Aside from the colour, it seems perfectly flat, and visually well pressed.

JWew, Sondek, sonofjim and 1 other person like this.
  15. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

If you look closer to the pictures of the box sleeve, and in the book, it's obvious that The Game is intended to look like this, so it's not an unexpected pressing/material effect.

Deano6 and fuhrsy31 like this.
  16. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

I agree with that up to a point. The pictures do suggest a discolouration, but only slightly so. Certainly not to the extent of the reality of the press. Plus, if you look hard enough at the pics on the back of the box, you could convince yourself that a number might have imperfections. But reality doesn't bare that out. The Game stands alone in that regard. That is, to the extent of the discoloration.

Anyway, now having seen and touched the box in the flesh, I have nothing but praise for the presentation.

17. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

You may be right but it is only audible on this particular side on this particular record. And annoying to boot. Cleaning does not help unfortunately. Any suggestions?

18. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Actually some of the records are colored but still transparent, some are colored and solid, and The Game have this special effect, and a similar effect, but not so prominent, is visible on the semi-clear vinyl of "Made in heaven" (of course, it can't be uniform for all pressings, and the light and the angle makes a difference of how exactly it looks), but the pictures of each record shown in the book match the look of the real record. And I agree with you that the whole thing looks absolutely beautiful, and I have to admit that the vinyl fetishist in me is totaly satisfied (still didn't spin any of them, but even if they sound as crap I don't mind really :) Still, hope that they sound good (actually I mostly like the 2011 remasters, so the fun to listen to them watching these colorfull records rolling on my turntable would be great)

juanmanuel likes this.
  19. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

My box set is on it's way to me right now and is being delivered tomorrow..:D

The downside is I've just been off work for 6 days and back in tomorrow..:shh:

Sods law or what? :laugh:

20. jon9091

I'm listening to ADATR now, and I have to agree is the best sounding of the ones I've opened and played so far. It's also the noisiest vinyl so far :sigh:. SHA and ANATO just sound pretty lousy to me. Like bad CD mastering stuck on vinyl. And every time the mastering features a goosed up high end....it just translates to more sibilance from my system. ADATR has a lot of sibilance.

Dare I open Queen I and II?

21. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Q1 sounds great to me.

Tried Innuendo tonight - blleurgghhh, doesn't sound good to me and disk 2 has got a nasty warp on the outer edge.

Plus the running order just makes me not want to bother with some of the sides - 3 tracks of weak songs to one side mean they wouldn't get played much.

22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I listened to ANATO (not from the box) over the weekend and compared it to my early U.S. pressing and it sounded great. Based on that I ordered the debut, Jazz and ADATR.

23. stem

stem Forum Resident

I guess it is unlikely anybody will be in a position to make the comparison. (Why would anybody have both the complete box and also a stand-alone) but .............I wonder if there are sound quality differences between the boxed ones and the singletons ?

24. jon9091

The only reason I can think of that anyone would be able to make this comparison would be if they bought a singleton to replace a defective box record.

25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Played most of the set. Absolutely outstanding. As someone raised on the cassettes (including an original '75 ANATO) and transitioning to various CD issues, then moving to the disappointing Complete Works, this blows them all away.

On an entirely trivial note, alongside the vinyl, I've been enjoying the digital downloads; so the quality on them is superb. I'm also impressed that they've made the track breaks a lot cleaner at segues so it's not jarring having the whole set on shuffle. In fact, it throws up a few good new sequences if you wanted to make a random Queen compilation. Best so far is The Wedding March into Flick Of The Wrist...

Davidmk5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.