For those who sold their CD Collection - any regrets?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

My only regret is not selling them sooner, when they had more value. I guess I just had to wait until the cost of drives came down to where it made sense. I now have 3TB of lossless music on 3 identical drives, one offsite and in addition to that I have a lot of my rare and audiophile stuff on my Macbook Pro (also lossless).

walrus and quicksrt like this.
  2. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Sid Hartha's post keeps running through my mind. It strikes me as a vivid description of his experience. I am picturing that this is what will probably happen with me.

Time will tell...

eddiel and jlc76 like this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

This is true as I found when I sold off my lps. I began trying to sell single albums and soon realized that would take forever and just eat up time. I ended up auctioning them off on AudioGon in bundles of 10-15 lps and got $3-5 per lp. I bundled by what I considered similar artist, ie Emmy Lou Harris with Linda Ronstadt and Karla Bonoff.

My take wasn't what I'd hoped for but was way more than used record stores offered. And yes, it was a pain answering questions and then acking and shipping the lps. This was probably ten years ago.

4. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I didn't get rid of mine but I boxed them up and put them in the closet after I finished ripping them all to lossless. I like having not only hard copies in the event I lose everything digitally, but also the liner notes. Those are the only two reasons I would talk someone out of getting rid of them.

5. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

You mean people will buy my old CD's?

6. analogy

analogy Active Member

Oh no. I could never do that. I own about 700-800 CD's and everyone of them has a story. For most I can still remember when or where I bought them. Or with whom. Or why. Or why the corner of the jewel case is missing. Why the booklet is all stained. A bunch of files on a harddrive could never do that for me, even though I play my (CD) music through a Sonos Connect system (ripped them all to FLAC), I still have the CD's. On display even, if you could somehow make it to my attic ;).

But I'm a sentimental git. Part of enjoying the music is owning the physical representation of it, for me.

Shiver, Jrr, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  7. what I to do is make a copy of the cd scan the artwork then make up a homemade cd I have two templates I use one for the label for the cd the other for the back and cover then go to amoeba and trade in the originals my covers look as good as the originals I like to use staples double sided glossy brochure paper juts the right thickness for the art used trade in prices are low right now so I just keep my originals but I do regret some of the ones I turned in

8. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely love it! See that's another reason why as much as I want to sell my cd collection the visual aspect part of it makes me want to hold on to them as well. I know for sure I could never part with my lp collection

clhboa likes this.
  9. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I have 600+ CDs. Of that 300 are 24k golds, targets, Japanese, or 'special' for one reason or another, CDs. The rest are regular I guess.

I've thought about selling off 1/2 the golds, many of the 'special ones', and some of the Japanaese. Got about 50+ other 'special' CDs in the box too. Separated them and put them in a box about 5 years ago and set the box on the floor, under the window, in a guest bedroom. They are still sitting there! LOL.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get as much as you can get for them' perhaps a better deal in exchange.
    Or'use the money for a wine&dine meal.Life is for the living.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Any Idea how many CDs, CD-Rs, SACDs, DVD-As, DTS surround, and 24/96khz needle drops can fit on 8-TBs of drive space? Me neither but it's a heck of a lot. I have most of my collection ripped to 4 drives plus backups, and I ain't even done yet, but I'm getting there. I only sold off the junk, kept all the DVD-A and SACDs, still have a lot of the good stuff on CDs, etc.

[​IMG]

nbakid2000 and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have most of mine in boxes in the back of my audio room closet. The ones I may want are stored under the lounge of my sectional.

[​IMG]

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Kids today are just illegally downloading SACD rips, 5.1 rips, FLAC etc so I can't see CDs ever being valuable again unlike Vinyl/Cassettes.

Starwanderer and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

~3000 CDs here boxed up in a closet. If there was an easy way to sell them, I would probably consider it. I guess I imagine a time 20+ years from now when I'm retired that I look upon all 3000 as interesting curios or artifacts from another time/place. Maybe there will be a bit of nostalgia involved. But if you took away my digital/streaming versions and forced me to play the actual discs, I would probably go insane after about a week :)

Kyhl and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

They do here. Along with vinyl, and cassettes.

16. I can't imagine listening to music and rolling a J as I stare at those like I used to do in the 70s with album covers. Can you roll on the top of one of those? :tiphat:

17. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Often think of selling my CD collection but then it hits me that in years to come the humble CD may become a popular format again. Vinyl although it never went away is now having a revival, I think the CD may go that way too...so on that basis I'm keeping mine, also due to fact that I'll never recoup back what I paid for them

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I just bought some CD's over my lunch break.

19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I always thought "You Can't Roll a Joint on a Download" would be a really cool song title.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My massive vinyl collection is still across the wall on the other side of the apt. Lots of deluxe gatefold covers there.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You can't very well on a CD either.

23. I can buy pre-rolled and legal now if i choose to. Seattle is a nice town :tiphat: Maybe it's finally time to trade in my Jefferson Airplane Long John Silver LP that folds up creating a stash box.

quicksrt likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

LA is also legal as far as any who cares is concerned. I like to go months and months clean and dry and it's been months and months now, have not had a beer since Mar. of this year. I'm looking forward to listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire in quad from SACD, I'm definitely going to be flying around the room like a firefly with those birds in true surround. I have a ice-cold half bottle of Absolute that needs to get used up with some fresh fruit juices like orange/cran. Now that's it's cooling off outside.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I sold about half of my CD collection in 2000 with no regrets whatsoever. The sell-off was comprised of CDs I just didn't listen to anymore -- I don't even remember what I sold.

Now? The market is bad and will only get worse, so if the collection contained titles I even only listened to once a year I probably wouldn't sell. If the reason to lose them was related to something else, like need for space or in anticipation of moving I might do it.

But what can you expect to get for them? If you can't even get a buck a title (and that might be optimistic) it might not be worth the hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.