Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

My Sweet Lord, of course I know you wouldn't consciously remember a year old aside! :D

theMess likes this.
  2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  3. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Actually the story there is George asked Paul, Linda and Denny to record backing vocals on All Those Years Ago instead. At the end of the session there was no time left for Wanderlust.

4. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I've seen people offering the super deluxe TOW on ebay for crazy prices already: $300, $500, even $1,000!

5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Rupert will get a deluxe rerelease with Broad St as a bonus disc. It isn't worth much more on its own.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Could it have to do with saying the same thing over and over? :tiphat:

aoxomoxoa and Mazzy like this.
  7. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Where are the punch ins?

8. Well you know it's sort of like breathing now. But each time it's in reference or response to a new related topic. :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

"in YOUR opinion"!!!!! :biglaugh: :tiphat: :evil:

(see how I used a hat there?)

theMess and Mazzy like this.
  10. Good one. :tiphat:

theMess likes this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Hey, keep George out of a Paul McCartney thread. :D But come to think of it, I'd have to trim Gone Troppo to a single or an EP at best for archive release also, so I guess he's sort of relevant to the thread in a left turn sort of way. :p

Frank, AppleCorp3 and JimC like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, I was also confused by that line. So far there has been some form of ridiculous description or comparison in almost every reissue review that I have read.

13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Why? To make room for all of the amazing Gone Troppo demo versions? :D:laugh:

Glenn Christense and Johnny Reb like this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is only your opinion; don't state it as fact. :laugh::D
    :tiphat:

15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes Ben. Just to fill out the story, a couple of George's Gone Troppo demo cassettes are labeled "songs not heavy enough for Jimmy Buffett"-"He rejected them and returned them to me." :p

Yorick and theMess like this.
  16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I haven't listened yet but apparently they're all over Wanderlust.

17. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Finally managed to find a copy of Pipes Of Peace. I haven't heard it in forever. It's better than I remembered. The remaster seems to be lacking in low end, however.

theMess likes this.
  18. eran levy

eran levy Forum Resident

Looks like a misprint. It was probably supposed to be "ballad", singular.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Here is a short review of Tug Of War that I found online, which avoids all of the ridiculous comments and inaccuracies being spewed out by the writers of the aforementioned reissue reviews posted above:

When the Beatles broke up in 1977, music fans didn't know if the individual members could continue as musical powerhouses. Heck, it was unknown if they could even do their laundry. So it was with trepidation that Paul McCartney (aka The Petite Beatle) released his first solo record called Tug O'Woe. But with the help from the so-called 15th Beatle, George Martin, on drums, McCartney found his musical bearings by putting together a potpourri*** of songs that showed off his diverse abilities: "Ebony & Ivory", a killer rocker about Paul's favorite backgammon set; "Wander Lust", a lowdown, uncensored, dirty-mouthed blues song about a prostitute featuring Tina Turner on co-lead vocals; "Ballroom Danzig", a soft acoustic number dedicated to the members of the heavy-metal band Danzig; "Hear Toady", a comical tale about a frog with a hearing-aid; and "Take It Away", an electronic synth-dominated spoken-word track in which Paul tells his waiter to take away all of the meat dishes on his dining table. And the rest of the album has a bunch of other songs, but I fell asleep so I can't comment about them. The cover of the album features the colors red, white, and blue, presumably in honor of Queen Elizabeth's sweet-16 party, which occurred during the making of this album. Overall rating: Not as good as Revolver.

***Note the hidden meaning of that word.

;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  20. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

There is no remastered audio for TOW, it is a slight level shift of an early Parlophone CD release.

JimC likes this.
  21. Beatles Fan 4 Life

Beatles Fan 4 Life Forum Resident

I was so pleasantly surprised today when my Pipes of Peace was already delivered! I cancelled my Kings Road order on Friday and ordered it from Bullmoose and it arrived today. Thanks Bullmoose! :)

Beatlened, helter, theMess and 2 others like this.
  22. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Just received my shipping notice from Kings Road for the Super Deluxe TOW! Better late than never! Can't wait to watch the defective DVD!

23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Arnie, have you been near that 'Potpourri' by chance? :D

24. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Why is this called "Black Face".

25. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

the good songs are hurt by really bad stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.