The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Peter Brotzmann: Solo + Trio Roma

Disc 1: Solo. Peter Brotzmann
    Disc 2: Trio Roma. Peter Brotzmann, Massimo Pupillo (b), Paal Nilssen-Love (d)

Two sets from the Victoriaville Quebec FIMAV festival in 2011 with a theme of "Brotzmann At 70", as in 70th birthday celebration. The first set a solo concert in 4 parts featuring two on Alto, one on Tenor and one on B-flat Clarinet. The closing Alto piece is Ornette's "Lonely Woman". A vital and extremely strong recital. What makes a man (of 70 no less) stand on a stark stage alone with only his horns, illuminated in spots, and able to paint his art in the still air with sound? What makes him able to play ugly? Beautifully? Emotionally? Fierce, fragile?

[​IMG]

93curr, bluemooze, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A concept that doesn't work very well: have a 9-person mixed chorus sing current pop songs & cram Shank's alto in here & there. The talents of other jazz/studio players like Roger Kellaway, Howard Roberts, Carol Kaye & John Guerin are largely wasted on this 1970 World Pacific Jazz LP produced by head honcho Richard Bock.

bluemooze and rxcory like this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

The gigs never end in London, sounds killer. I'm looking forward to seeing the new project/ensemble of Wayne Horvitz on Friday.

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  4. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

The Mike Gibbs Band - Just Ahead

[​IMG]

5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Herbie Hancock - The Herbie Hancock Box (Columbia/Legacy) 4 CDs

[​IMG]

The 2d CD is the killer, with "Dolphin Dance", "Eighty One", "Milestones", "Stella by Starlight/On Green Dolphin Street" and finishing with VSOP tearing up "Red Clay".

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Red Rodney: 1957

Red Rodney - Trumpet
    Ira Sullivan - Tenor Sax
    Tommy Flanagan - Piano
    Oscar Pettiford - Bass
    Philly Joe Jones - Drums
    Elvin Jones - Drums

7. Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring (DSD64)

[​IMG]

8. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

How does this version sound? The HDTracks website credits Alan Yoshida as doing the mastering but I'm doubtful as they have made mistakes with his name before on the Blue Note hi-rez remasterings. It would be great if he did do it, but I'd be happy to pick it up regardless if some folks could recommend the hi-rez version over the XRCD, original McMaster, etc. Thanks in advance!

9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2013-02/1360329996_523a6876d50f29097c0b06b656856e3a.jpg

1993 Blue Note/Capitol CDP 0777 7 89795 2 4

Recorded December 11, 1965 at Rudy's

John Patton - organ
    Grant Green - guitar
    Bobby Hutcherson - vibes
    Otis "Candy" Finch - drums

[​IMG]

10. duggadugdug

duggadugdug Professional Dilettante

Need to appeal to the collective brain of late 50s cool jazz aficionados: I'm trying to ID a song on an old mix tape that doesn't have any identifying info. From the sound of it, I would guess it's the Dave Brubeck Quartet from the late 50s or early 60s, but I can't place the tune from a quick survey of their albums from that period. Anyone have an educated guess based on this snippet? Many thanks for any help.

https://soundcloud.com/duggadugdug/unknown-song

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Ok, time for a little raunch. Got 9 more hours to go on this night shift and I need to kick it into high gear....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Sounds similar to "Closing Time Blues" on the Dave Brubeck - "Jazz: Red Hot and Cool" album (1955) or another live version of this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  13. duggadugdug

duggadugdug Professional Dilettante

Hmm. That's the best guess so far, though it's still hard for me to peg a distinctive enough melody to say it's that song, in particular. (Though even "that song" may also just have been an improvised blues vamp -- "Closing Time Blues" was first added as a bonus track to the 2001 "Red Hot and Cool" CD, which makes me think that, rather than it necessarily being a prior composition, they may have just slapped that title onto an improvised blues run.)

I was hoping to find another, more obvious match in one of the early DBQ live concerts and radio recordings, but haven't yet. Thanks for the thoughtful tip, Marzz.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Marzz likes this.
  14. I don't have the XRCD, only the remaster from '07 (vinyl long gone). The 24/192 is very clean, definitely beated the '07 Redbook CD, this just classic '60's Blue Note. Highly recommended.

TimArruda and monotubevibe like this.
  15. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Larry Young - Mother Ship

[​IMG]

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I only have the original vinyl of Red, Hot & Cool so if it is a bonus cut then I won't be able to match it up with anything.
    I don't have a lot of Brubeck or Desmond on cd. Most are vinyl. It sounds like 60s era Brubeck Qt. though so Marzz could be right or at least in the ballpark. Nice catch indeed Marzz! No way that could be any other band, especially Desmond. Nobody sounds like him but him.

Oh yeah, night cap after being out listening to some live jazz (a Lee Morgan program with several tracks from Search For The New Land).

Frank Kimbrough - Lonely Woman (Mapleshade)
    Wonderful piano trio album with yet another beautiful version of Ornette's iconic song.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Mosaic Records MR4-111) - the Quartet Sessions ....

19. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Grabbed this whole series when EMI/Toshiba released them a few years back....BNLA's from the 70's of unissued Blue Note material from the vaults.
    Distinctive photographic artwork...

jiffypopinski likes this.
  20. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

21. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Evan Parker, Barry Guy, Paul Lytton - Live at Maya Recordings Festival (NoBusiness)
    Evan Parker - Monoceros (Psi)

bluemooze, Juan Matus, 93curr and 4 others like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Kenny Barron and Dave Holland - The Art Of Conversation (Impulse)

dee, bluemooze, Juan Matus and 7 others like this.
  23. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I have Monk's Music in my ears right now. Gotta love some Thelonious feat Trane.

24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ken Schaphorst Big Band – Purple (Naxos Jazz)
    — With Doug Yates, Jay Brandford, Donny McCaslin, Seamus Blake, Andy Laster / Dave Ballou, John Carlson, Andy Gravish, Cuog Vu / Josh Roseman, Curtis Hasselbring, Dave Taylor, Chris Creswell / Uri Caine, John Medeski, Brad Shepik, Drew Gress, Jamey Haddad, Dane Richeson

[​IMG]

25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tete MontoliuTootie's Tempo (SteepleChase)
    — With Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Albert "Tootie" Heath; with CD bonus track

[​IMG]