Using social media to sell CDs....

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Max Dread, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Dread

Max Dread Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all

I am in the process of selling my 1000+ CD collection. I am using ebay and Discogs, and have also posted in several forums (including here)....

I've never in my life used any kind of social media sites. Things like Facebook and Twitter. And do you get social media blog sites for specific subjects (or in this case, specific bands/genres)? I'm not even sure if what I'm asking makes sense! And I don't know whether Twitter is relevant here or what a blog site is.

In fact, I'm not even sure whether I am using the term "social media" correctly. So for the record I'll clarify now that I do not mean forums (I have used forums for many years.....)

So if anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it hugely.

Many thanks

Max

2. You really have to invest a lot of time in building an online social identity on Twitter and Facebook before those sites would ever help you sell your CD collection. Given your state of ignorance on their inner workings, it's not something I would really recommend as a good use of time.

pdenny and Dave like this.
  3. Max Dread

OK.... I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "groups". Not so much building an identity. But rather joining relevant groups to advertise my CDs, much in the same way as I join a genre specific forum to sell CDs. Do such groups exist and if so would it be appropriate/allowed to join them to sell stuff?

Cheers

4. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

1000+ CDs isn't a really big collection. Advertising besides offering the CDs on Amazon, eBay, Discogs might make sense if you have rarities in your collection. So here is a good place for gold CDs and early pressings. If you have rare Depeche Mode CDs for example you should look for Depeche Mode groups and forums.

Joachim

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And don't forget targets and anything with an obi strip :p

6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

If most of the CDs you have are very common, those are the discs to donate to thrift stores, sell in garage sales, flea markets, etc.

8. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

I think you have to consider that using social media puts a sort of limt on your audience-i.e. your customer base, as only those within the "group" as you put it would see the products for sale. they might all have the same interests but i have to think it's limited in some fashion as to size. While social media is huge, I just haven't heard about an option like that via the usual social media conduits, at least nothing that would compare to the massive worldwide audience of Ebay, Amazon, or on a more local level, Craigslist.
    Not to be Captain Obvious here, but not everyone on the site is a true audiophile with standards of SACD or the such, many of us still relish the good old regular CD. While I peruse the classifed section almost daily, it is a rare occaision when something is listed for sale that isn't leaning towards the audiophile side. I'd like to see more of the regular stuff, I may be alone in that, but I'd rather buy from a member here than some anonymous Ebay seller (apologies to those anonymous sellers who are members here, lol), and i can't help but think it would benefit the seller and buyer moneywise. While listing 1000 CDs is work, perhaps lots of 5-6 listed at a time would assist in that. I certainly have no issue with looking through any list of CDs, vinyl, box sets, etc for sale or trade, it's not much different than digging through crates at the record shop..

9. Max Dread

Hi and thanks for all the helpful responses.

I own a few CDs that might be considered rare or sought after and worth a few quids. I own a heck of lot of CDs that might range from the £5 - £15 mark. That's because a lot of the music I have is from lesser known bands. And because some of the genres these bands belong to might be considered slightly niche. It's for those reasons that I thought I might be able to reach people through social media groups that centre on such genres. If they exist and allow sellers that is....

No doubt a lot of my CDs will also be around the £1/£2 mark. Those I am hoping will sell along the way (when people buy other stuff). As the collection whittles down, I will then start to organise those into job lots.

10. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

It occurs to me that some of those lesser known niche bands may have websites, some might have fan forums on them, maybe post some stuff there?

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Sorry for bumping this thread, but you really would be better going to a car boot. Yes, people will buy CDs because the price is very good compared to online (no shipping charges).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.