KEF LS50 + Fisher tubes + 4-ohm taps = GREAT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I've been doing some reading up on my speakers, and a bunch of reviewers have suggested that the KEF LS50 is best suited for 4 ohms' impedance, despite being spec'd for 8 ohms. I just switched from the 8-ohm taps on my Fisher 400 tube receiver to the 4-ohm taps, and lemme tell you, the improvement is not subtle.

On 8 ohms' impedance, it had a sort of soft, pillowy sound, and also rather dark. On 4 ohms, it has a much more dynamic and crisp sound, and without that mushy top end. Imaging was good before, but now it's scary-good.

Awesome!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Nice, Congrats!!!!!

I love my LS50's, they put a smile on my face daily.

3. action pact

But do you use them with 4 ohms? :)

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

My MA6450 is rated at 4 ohms, so I guess so. It has only 1 tap :)

5. action pact

:righton:

6. spitback

spitback Forum Resident

When I was running my LS50's on my PrimaLuna I preferred the 4 ohm taps as well.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wanna hear these speakers so bad. Anyone know a place in LA where you can hear them?

8. action pact

9. How was the bottom end with that setup?

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have tried the Ls50 with the 4ohm taps of my amp a few times, but I did not like the sound that much. In my system the the 8ohm sounded more open and more dynamic.

11. spitback

spitback Forum Resident

I was using them with a Sub so the bottom end was fine. I didn't really do a lot of listening without the sub.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Sorry to bring back this older thread, but does anybody know how much, if at all, the power rating increases on the 400 when using the 4 ohm taps vs. the 8 ohm's?

13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Looks like 4-ohms is the BEST!

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The answer is no. Here's an explanation for anybody that cares. I've been running my 400 with my AR3's quite successfully(much to my, and others surprise) on the 4 ohm taps and the sound is quite wonderful.

Fisher 400 power using 4 ohm taps | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums »

15. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

How does one know which taps he is tapping? My X-1000 has 4, 8, and -6 ohm taps but I don't see where to "tap" them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.