Thank You Janie Hendrix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The vinyl reissues by Legacy are pretty good all analog masters, that sell for less than 20 bucks and are really nice pressings.
    The Classic Records Band of Gypsys is really good. Again, all analog.
    The Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge vinyl are both good Bernie Grundman masterings.

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Probably not.:)

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

If so, on what authority? That's just weird.

5. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I understand your perspective, but I can't say I share it.

I've enjoyed having the re-mastered CD's of The Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge, but they haven't turned my Hendrix listening on its head. The Winterland box was pretty marvelous... I can't remember what the butchery accusations are based upon.

I mean, if I/me/moi was in charge of the Hendrix legacy I'd have probably been more selective about what was issued, but I'm not sure that would have been the right attitude either. If I'd gotten the memo at an early enough date I might have shepherded some better mastering. But ultimately, I'm not sure I'd have gotten that much more pleasure from the Hendrix oeuvre-plus-vault-trawl if it had been handled differently. It's been pretty rewarding overall.

I suppose there may have been a gullible hermit or two who bought People, Hell and Angels thinking it was something more (or different) than it was. But the concept of barrel-scrapings is not a new one and the man died in 1970. Personally, I'm happy to hear the work-in-progress recordings, the different flavors of approach he took to familiar material. I think the vast, vast majority of people who bought that CD or LP knew exactly what they were getting into, and most of us were happily surprised, not disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Somebody got the Gorts running scared about it. Try to post a pic of Hendrix and see what happens.

7. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I don't hold any grudge against Janie, but I really don't understand the rationale for thanking Janie for anything. In addition to her ownership of an extremely valuable asset that she had no role in creating, she's the CEO of a business whose earnings, which add to her wealth, are dependent on the success of her marketing of Jimi Hendrix's music and performances. So why is it exactly that any fan should be thanking her?

I've got all the Jimi I need, so the timing of unreleased material doesn't concern me, but I have to say, this "we must share him with the future" justification for releases not coming as quickly as many fans would like is something that Experience Hendrix's own PR staff would blush at writing.

8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Are you John McDermott :laugh:

Imagine70 likes this.
  9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Hendrix Fan's should be thanking Alan Douglas! Thanks to him we have all those wonderful bootlegs, loads of good stuff we would never have heard from EH :)

Imagine70 likes this.
  10. Fastnbulbous

Okay. If you never hear from me again I guess I was warned. :laugh:

[​IMG]

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Hendrix people contend the photos are copyrighted and we are violating the copyright be posting them without permission. They search sites for photos and then threaten to shut them down for copyright violations unless they remove the photos. That is why our host Steve Hoffman asked us not to post them any more because he has already been warned about it from the Hendrix people. We were warned that if we keep posting Hendrix photos and the Hendrix people keep complaining that we will no longer be able to post photos at all. It is the reason that sometimes threads disappear. The Gorts are told to remove all of the Hendrix photos from the threads. It is better to be safe than ruin it for everyone here.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  12. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

No....... I'm Leon. :)

brucifer and Jimi Bat like this.
  13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Thank you, Janie, "guardian and promoter" of Jimi's legacy!

14. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, I think she's done well, and I've enjoyed buying and listening to what EH has put out.
    More so than the same people regurgitating the same stories and complaints, each and every time Jimi's name appears in the subject line of a thread.

15. Fastnbulbous

This photo was lifted from the Woodstock film and downloaded via the L.A. Times website. Did the "Hendrix people" threaten to shut down the L.A. Times? Are they claiming legal ownership of every single image of Jimi in existence? This would take venality to unheard-of levels and I don't believe Jimi's legacy is well served by such behavior.

Manalishi and Disraeli Gears like this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually think posting the photos helps market their product. Nevertheless, our host Steve Hoffman asked us to cease and desist with posting the Hendrix photos due to their policy and the diligence with which they enforce it.

17. Fastnbulbous

Well, I will honor Mr. Hoffman's wishes, as he has graciously provided us with this public forum, and henceforth shall refrain from posting Jimi's photos. Ms. Hendrix should know however that her tactics are not only legally baseless, but ultimately counterproductive.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  18. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

You can't make everybody happy.

Some people are more accustomed to the way those recordings sound in the context of Jimi Hendrix Concerts and/or Live At Winterland, so they feel that the box is excessive and the single "highlights" disc is poorly compiled.

The completists have heard more complete versions on bootleg and grey market releases, so they object to the way EH has edited and presented the material on that box.

The Winterland box is perfect for me, but I understand the criticisms.

Guy E and JeffMo like this.
  19. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I remember telling my former 8th grade teacher that Hendrix had a new album coming out (sometime in the 80's)...he paused and said "I hate to break this to you but Jimi Hendrix hasn't produced a new album in quite a long time". It's amazing that they're still putting unreleased stuff out, and that it's even remotely good.

Best thing - the purple box

Worst thing - issuing In The West (one of his all-time best albums, imo) on cd and replacing the best cuts with inferior versions

Lost In The Flood and Guy E like this.
  20. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

My primary gripe has been the disgraceful treatment of the 2 night Band of Gypses Filmore East Gigs. 4 shows. First there was the LP which was amazing but merely a glimpse of of the shows. Then they release in Germany a disc with 3 bonus tracks. years pass and they take another swipe, just like the Winterland box, ommitting large swaths of the shows. How hard is it to get this right? I'm nearly 50 now. I'd like to hear this done right in my life time.

John Fell likes this.
  21. Fastnbulbous

You won't get much sympathy from Zappaphiles, who have to scurry after crumbs the family trust deigns to release. Frank's been dead 22 years and there's still a mountain of unreleased material. I'm convinced a lot of it will never see the light of day ... :rolleyes:

22. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

23. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

It's remarkable how little Zappa has come out by comparison, considering how many years Zappa was recording compared to Hendrix.

24. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Janie should be subpoenaed to testify before a special House committee about what happened with RAH

...and I wanna know what was in those emails between Janie and Gerald Goldstein.

:cheers:
    Cat

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Sure, COL and RB were excellent and welcome re-releases and I never liked the waybFirst Rays and SSD were done. However now, those four albums on catalogue make it a confused mess. We old- timers get it but it must be a real puzzle to newcomers.
    The Winterland box contains some terrific music but the way it is presented is very untidy, jumbled.
    PH&A was OK but the paste-ups don't work very well. The versions of Earth Blues and Somewhere are superfluous compared to the ones we've had before. Easy Blues was long overdue and I would have prefered to have see it on Hear My Music or a Nine To The Universe (expanded)re-release (too late for that now - maybe Douglas owned that concept?).

Maidenpriest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.