Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

Sorry if this has already been covered and I spaced it out.

Sources report a 1/14/65 evening session with John Hammond Jr., Bruce Langhorne, John Sebastian, and John Boone that does not seem to be represented on the 18-disc set.

Does anyone know anything about that and why it's not here? Supposedly tracks circulate from this session....?

2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

According to this:
    http://www.bjorner.com/DSN00785 (65).htm#DSN00790

19. Love Minus Zero/No Limit
    20. I'll Keep It With Mine
    21. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
    22. Bob Dylan's 115th Dream
    23. She Belongs To Me
    24. Subterranean Homesick Blues

3. Thelonious_Cube

Exactly what I was looking at...as well as:

If true, then why aren't they on the 18-CD box?

If two tracks circulate, then it's not that the recordings never existed or were unusable. Maybe they were lost?

Or are the circulating tracks not really from this session after all?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

according to Bjorner, it is this version of I'll Keep It With Mine that appears on Biograph, but other sources (including Cutting Edge) list the 1-13-65 take as being the Biograph take. Oddly, Bjorner credits the 1-13-65 take as being on Pacifica Radio Archives IZ 1156 disc, even though that disc contains the Biograph version. It seems this night session is no longer available.

Also, reading through Bjorner, he lists Bob Dylan's 115th Dream from Bringing It All Back Home as being entirely from the 14th. Cutting Edge lists the false start as being from the 13th, which was the solo session. Cutting Edge seems to make more sense.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  5. stephanpickering

stephanpickering Well-Known Member

Shalom & Erev tov...this is the take on No Direction Home, 29 July 1965. He returned to it again on 2 (5 takes) & 4 August (4 takes), the album version being an overdubbed take of 4 August.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    STEPHAN PICKERING / חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם
    Torah אלילה Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
    לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג
    THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT

6. revolution_vanderbilt

As stated in my post above, Bjorner seems to be misidentifying track 20, I'll Keep It With Mine. And 19 would be Love Minus Zero/No Limit. There is a b00tlegged but unreleased (for now) version of it, which is probably from the earlier session (listing 1 or 3).

7. Claudio Dirani

[​IMG]

This has to be one of the coolest pictures of Bob's ...Better: I'd say it's one of the coolest pictures ever taken in rock's universe.

8. Claudio Dirani

I predict some folks trying to jump out from the Brooklyn Brdige after reading this, as The Cutting Edge promises "every note ever recorded from 1965-1966".

9. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

LARS? Not so sure. But I do think it's similar to "One of Us Must Know" — listen to the way Dylan's voice goes up, then down at the end of each verse; he reuses that stylistic trait in "One of Us", which is probably one of the (smaller) reasons why "She's Your Lover" ended up on the cutting room floor.

Williamson likes this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

Could the session not even have been recorded? Bjorner lists titles but not the number of takes. Could the info be coming from (ultimately) anecdotal sources for that session?

Here are his references for the whole entry

Reference.

Michael Krogsgaard: Bob Dylan: The Recording Sessions (Part 1). The Telegraph #52, Summer 1995, pp. 108–109.

Clinton Heylin: Bob Dylan. The Recording Sessions [1960 – 1994]. St. Martin’s Press December 1995, pp. 33–36.

11. Thelonious_Cube

If the circulating tracks he identifies aren't from that session, then it's quite possible that no tape was rolling - that would explain a lack of studio logs.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/sessions-1.html

(bold emphasis mine)

Krogsgaard also rightly identifies I'll Keep It With Mine from Biograph as being from the 13th.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though I bought the 18CD set, and may have been one of the earliest to order, I am no longer obsessed with having or hearing every take, or knowing what is missing or previously circulating. Does that make sense? As much as I loved Dylan's music of the 1965-66 time since it's first release (I still have my mono copies bought the week they came out), I am moved even more so by certain recordings of recent years (Cross the Green Mountain; Red River Shore; Workingman's Blues). I really do think that getting to hear Dylan's private home tapes of recent decades would be a most profound experience

Carserguev, JimC and mpayan like this.
  14. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Bob started recording BOB 50 years ago today.

15. stephanpickering

stephanpickering Well-Known Member

Shalom & Erev tov...through the courtesy of a friend of mine who was IBM computer technician for 40 years, and has fabulous equipment, I listened to a wonderfully enhanced 'Lunatic Princess' tonight, several times...and this is my transcription (1:10):

Why should you have to be so frantic,
    you always wanted to live in the past.
    Now are you sure to be so Atlantic [sic]
    you finally got your wish at last.
    You used to be oh so modest,
    with your arm around your cigarette machine.
    Now you're lost and all I see is
    All you got is your two dollar bill
    and your hat full of gasoline
    [tape is unintelligible]
    After all things could be much worse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    STEPHAN PICKERING / חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם
    Torah אלילה Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
    לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג
    THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT

16. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Yes it is

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

18. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I feel like pre-ordering the 6-disc but when I'm about to I chicken out because I feel like I need the 18 disc set! Am I crazy?! I need help.

19. Claudio Dirani

Call up the Federal Reserve

notesfrom likes this.
  20. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the 6-CD set, the "take 5 remake" on disc 2 track 17?
    It is a new outtake, previously unheard, from the August 2 session. Don't know whether it's Dylan with band or by himself.
    The track time is 10:50 (the version on No Direction Home, take 1 from July 29, was 11:44).

The odd thing is, that version is not on the 2-CD set - that has the piano demo and "take 1, alternate take" from August 4, which is 11:16.
    Now here's the mystery: Desolation Row had two take ones that day, the first one a "rehearsal" which broke down.
    The released version on Highway 61 (take 5) was 11:21.
    There were also guitar overdub takes that day; so it seems to me that the version picked for the 2-CD set is basically going to be extremely close to the Highway 61 version, just without the guitar overdub.

This is also one of the few instances where the previously released outtake wasn't repeated on the 6-CD set, unless something's been mislabeled.

21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Aren't they already keeping interest rates low so people can afford this set?

22. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

I also wondered about that mystery session.
    Krogsgaard seems to be the basic source of info here, and his list is in turn based on unknown sources, with nothing actually circulating, no tape available, and no session sheets.
    I believe his song list is inaccurate: notice that it exactly repeats the first five songs Dylan played on 1/13, in the same order! I suspect no one knows what songs they played.
    So it's possible nothing actually got recorded. That seems odd, but Tom Wilson was noticeably tighter with tape than Bob Johnston was, so perhaps the group rehearsals didn't get to any takes he considered worth recording.

The new set also gives us another mystery: at the end of Dylan's solo session on 1/13, there's a remake of Outlaw Blues listed as "electric" (it's also on the 6-CD set). We probably won't know until release what musicians were involved, or if it's mislabelled. (It did strike me as strange that Dylan would do "remakes" of Love Minus Zero and She Belongs To Me at the end of the 1/13 session, but possibly other musicians had arrived - especially since She Belongs To Me seems to be the take with Langhorne that got released on BS7.)

23. Yes, that falling vocal thing he does at the end of each verse is very similar to 'One Of Us Must Know,' I've always noticed that.

George P and crispi like this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

A very, very slim possibility....might it have been an unused overdub session (onto solo Dylan tracks, but without Bob in attendance), similar to what Wilson had already done with older Dylan tracks one month previously?

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member