The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

A mini-box of the BCT shows would be nice, but even better would be a big box of Fall '72.

2. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Haven't heard this in a while, and I am digging it more today than I remember!

[​IMG]

budwhite, warewolf95, nitsuj and 2 others like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Well, now you know what your homework is. :D

Rne and warewolf95 like this.
  4. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Speaking of Fall '72, I am currently listening to DP 11, as part of the complete Stanley Theatre run from 9/26-28. I had never heard 9/26 before, and it was very enjoyable, with a top-shelf first set (I thought the Bird Song was at least as good as, if not better than, the one from 9/27), and some cool jamming in the Other One jam out of Truckin' in the second set, with a fantastic (and rare) Baby Blue emerging from the ashes.

The next two nights are much more familiar to me, but I probably haven't heard them in about a year, so I thought I'd give the complete run a go. One thing that's came to mind a few times so far is that Bob's playing doesn't seem quite up to the high standard that it usually is during this era. He has some horrible flubs at the beginning of an otherwise beautiful Tomorrow is Forever on 9/26, and the China Cat from 9/27 is marred considerably by his clumsy, out-of-tune guitar. On the other hand, Jerry's playing seems to be at an all-time high during this period, and the other three never seem to be less than totally locked in. Plus, I remember liking 9/28 more than 9/27 the last time I listened to it (especially that Other One!), and I still have the Dark Star > Cumberland Blues from 9/27 on the way, so I'm sure I'll be continuing to enjoy the ride.

ruben lopez, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Anyone know why the official Download Series of shows didn't last long? You'd think that would be something that would work great, no?

6. OMG.
    Grateful Dead 5-3-68 Low Library Plaza Columbia University, NYC

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Why I love the internet. 9 minutes of primal deliciousness. I drink to you, sir. 1 billion thumbs up. Now how do I download this thing?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. ducksdeluxe

My only problem with it is that I just wasn't super excited by the shows they selected, plus why pay for a download? If all you want is a download, hit LL or etree and pay nothing.

I think their % of digital-only sales is probably pretty low for that reason.

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  9. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Thank you!! Just went through that twice! I hope that little kid at the end hadn't taken a sip from a cup being passed ;)

Man that was very primal dead and it escalated quickly! Loved it!

Cheers!

10. warewolf95

That's what I was thinking as well - almost anything can be found for free digitally as it is, so what's the incentive for a DL series, haha. You are right about show selection - I agree they seemed to pick "B" shows, if you will. Maybe they thought it was a good way to get more shows out commercially that wouldn't really have any business having a physical release.

That being said, if that was a goal, then you'd think they would dive into the '80s - a period with unsatisfactory tapes, yet Lemieux claims they wish they could release more of. I'd think something like a DL series would be an opportunity to clean up some of those things a little bit and get them out there with the justification that they are only downloads and not full physical releases.

Eh, who knows what happenned. Still curious to think about, though.

11. warewolf95

10/18/74 - Winterland

This Dark Star>Morning Dew.....

words cannot describe....

How the HELL did they eff-up Steal Your Face?!

Rne and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. ducksdeluxe

Ask Phil. They wanted no repeats from Live/Dead, Skull & Roses, or Europe '72. Didn't leave much.

I just picked up View From The Vault III, 6/16/90 Shoreline Amphitheater. I might have been there that night, but I don't remember. First set Truckin'? Second set looks good, but the bonus material isn't well chosen.

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  13. US Blues

Steal Your Face was created to complete a contractual obligation with United Artists Records, who they hired to distribute "Round Records" product. Phil also decided to only include material that had not appeared on previous live releases, as noted above. You also have to consider that the Seastones > Dark Star > Morning Dew would not fit well on a vinyl record album. This is not to mention the technical issues with the recordings, including the hall acoustics captured on the master recording, that Jeff Norman was able to tame using modern digital technology. After it was released the Dead were free to sign with Arista Records (I used to play for Acid, now I play for Clive...).

When I first heard Steal Your Face not long after it was released I liked it a lot. There was relatively little "live Dead" officially available, and none from 1974, and I had not yet found the bootleg tape world, so it was a precious source of music. And if you can listen without prejudice the songs included on the record are very good versions, though not presented in anything resembling a '74 show. The record does not do justice to the run, and in retrospect within the context of what is now available for our listening pleasure, it can seem like a joke. But when I was in high school it was like manna from heaven.

btw- the Seastones from 18 October is perfect, from the first whispers of feedback through the end of Morning Dew every note and sound you hear (save for a glitch in the first minute of Seastones) is utterly perfect- complete psychedelic, telepathic, improvisational bliss. One semester in college I listened to that Dew every morning, wore down that cassette for sure (side 1 was Seastones > Dark Star, then it flipped in the jam). Oh, and the Bertha from that show is simply off-the-chain.

nitsuj, budwhite, WiseJake237 and 2 others like this.
  14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

ducksdeluxe and warewolf95 like this.
  15. warewolf95

I've not heard the official GD Movie Soundtrack release and only have the raw soundboards - how do they compare to the official in this case?

When I first discovered the Dead a few years ago, I was initially intrigued because I knew their live legacy was so extensive (history is really important to me when getting into artists) and I was interested by that. I made the point of not downloading any shows right away until I heard all the official releases (at least up through 1995) so that I could appreciate their "official" live albums without being prejudiced by shows.

I do really remember enjoying Steal Your Face the few times I listened to it, but then once I started getting shows, it's like "forget that!" :)

Always cool to have perspective from one of my "elders" :D

Currently grooving to the Bertha from 10/18. So far, it's actually rather laid-back, in a good way.

nitsuj and Crispy Rob like this.
  16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'm 2/3s through Road Trips 3.1/28 December '79. I know some find this show a bit relaxed and uneventful but the Playing jam into Drums is beautiful. Really effortless. The first set is tight, without having that first set flippant atmosphere that I often perceive in later Dead shows.

I have been putting off buying DP Vol. 5 for years but I think it's time to relent.

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Really, to me, the great thing about the soundtrack, other than being prime early approaching mid-70s Dead, is that the ambience of the hall is fully captured on a pristine recording. So, all instruments are clear and separated, and the "you are there" hall sound is the icing on the cake. Easily one of my favorite official releases outside of everything '72. It's like the best matrix ever before matrix was a thing.

Crispy Rob, nitsuj, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Hey US Blues - I need a new 78 to dive into. I've heard about half of the winter tour, all of April, not much of May, the Red Rocks and just a handful of shows(Giza, Winterland, Passaic, Nashville, Winterland..) after that.

Any hidden gems in there somewhere

19. budwhite

I love the extended jams they did in 73-74. That and the jazzier approach made it a great follow up to the perfect year of 72

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  20. warewolf95

I don't mind a space jam within the context of a larger piece, such as Eyes or PITB, but on it's own, space ain't my thing. That being said, I do love the jazzier side that came out during the period.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The reason I'm not that interested in listening to the complete soundboards is that they sound terribly dull when compared to the official release. I simply turns me off.

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. US Blues

Hey budwhite, thanks for asking. The second part of the Winter tour, from Eugene through Iowa, is worth a listen. Some of that is Dick's #18, but check out the first two nights from Chicago. I like the first 3 shows from May (5 - 7 May), which in my mind are a great representation of the Dead in that period (boxset worthy- College Weekend '78). I am particularly biased to the 6 May show from Vermont- that was the first tape that grabbed my attention, and I am a fanatic because of it. You'll find a second set only recording on the Archive of the tape I saved from college, mastered by GEMS.

Other tidbits: August Red Rocks; 14 November, Boston Music Hall; 20 November, Cleveland, for the unusual second set; 23 November at the Capital Center "Thanksgiving With The Dead" (recorded by Joni Walker); 17 December, Atlanta (recorded by Joni Walker); 30 December @ UCLA.

JGB: The March Tour is amazing, and bridges the gap between Iowa and the beginning of the April Tour in Florida. Jerry's guitar playing is otherworldly, and the rest of the band supports him well.

WiseJake237 and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. budwhite

Much obliged man!

In the meantime I've been listening to bits and pieces all day

72-09-26
    It's all over now baby blue
    74-10-16
    Seastones> Wharf rat> Eyes
    74-10-18
    Seastones> Dark star> Dew (bloody fantastic and unique DS)
    77-09-03
    Second set
    79-01-15
    Miracle>Shakedown
    (wow indeed)
    79-11-05
    Eyes of the world

WiseJake237, Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Been playing the four-disc compendium collection while I wait for my great big box of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN to get here.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. US Blues

There is a fantastic musical sequence in the post-verse jam in that Dark Star which gets played at 3 other shows I am aware of:

15 September 1978- during the Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World transition jam.

10 January 1979- during Dark Star.

15 January 1979- during Playing in the Band.

One day I will "Archtop" the timings of all 4 segments.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.