DAC under $3000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Starwanderer, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I'm getting some unexpected extra cash in a few monts (probably before Christmas, but maybe sooner) so I'm in the market for a new DAC and - I guess as many members here - I find myself a bit lost at the "sea of DACs" you can find.
    As usual, it's very difficult for me to try lots of different DACs, so I hope you can help me here :)

If it helps, here is my system

Turntable: Rega Planar 3; RB 300; Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 (MC)
    Phono Stage: Musical Fidelity X-LP
    SACD/CD: SACD Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite (Cable: Audioquest Ruby)
    Musical Server: Mac Mini/Audirvana 2.2.4 (USB cable: Transparent Audio)
    DAC: TEAC UD-501 S
    Amplification: Jadis DA 30
    Speakers: Proac Response 2-S on speaker stands (Cable: Van den Hul D-352 Hybrid)

I like natural sound and favour musicality over detailed, analytical sound.
    I listen to all kinds of (good) music, although I've been listening to jazz, classical and prog/rock lately.

DSD capability is a must, so I know lots of great DACs are out of the equation.

My budget is roughly $3000, but I could consider spending a bit more if the DAC is really worth it and way ahead of its competitors. I'm thinking of the Auralic Vega, for instance. The reviews are very good and I admit I'm tempted.

So far, two DACs under $2000 I've been reading (good) reviews of are:

M2Tech Young DSD
    Simaudio Moon Neo 280D DSD

Simaudio's big brother, the Moon Neo 380D DSD retails for over $4000, but I've read very good reviews. In case someone is considering buying one or the other, here are the differences between the two I found at a website:

http://www.moremusic.nl/moon/neo_280d.html

Does anyone have any of the two DACs I mentioned? (or the Auralic Vega) Any other interesting options out there I should consider?

Thank you very much :)

2. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Recently I had the chance to see and listen to an Opera consonanse Reference DSD1.1 (a friend of mine have it), and I was really impressed (well, his whole system is great and out of my range) So check some reviews or if someone more knowlegeable than me have some first hand impressions, but I think is worth to have this unit in mind.

http://www.opera-consonance.com/products/digital/RDSD1.1.html

The cost is about 2300 EUR.

Starwanderer likes this.
  3. Starwanderer

Thanks. I'll read some reviews for sure :righton:

4. classicanders

classicanders Active Member

My suggestion is to buy used. At the rate that digital equipment depreciates there is so much good stuff in your price range that is worth recommending.

scobb and Starwanderer like this.
  5. Starwanderer

I'm certainly considering that, but I'm a bit reluctant because digital seems to advance so fast I may end up with something out of date and I would like to buy something sort of "definitive" because I don't think I'll be able to afford spending this money in the future.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Starwanderer likes this.
  7. Starwanderer

3000€. I thought dollars would be more USA-friendly ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read some reviews.

EDIT: I'm afraid $3995 is too much :sigh:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

In that range I'd offer my own DAC because I'm familiar with it - Aqua La Voce S2, though it shines a little more on I2S than on USB which just isn't practical for most people.

Beyond that, given all the fanfare around it, I think you'd be silly not to at least try a Schiit Yggdrasil. Seemingly one of those most natural, resolving DACs on the market at any price. PCM only, not sure, do you need/want DSD support?

mindblanking and Starwanderer like this.
  9. Starwanderer

Thanks. I'm not familiar with your DAC. I'll do a search.

Yes, I need DSD support.

10. dusk_

dusk_ Forum Resident

I have the Vega. It's amazing and one of my favorite pieces of gear. I compared it to the Schiit Yggy and the Metrum Hex. I have no hesitation recommending it.

I run it in Mode 4 with Exact clock.

Keep in mind that the Vega up-samples PCM to 32bit/1.5mhz and there is no way to shut that off. So if you want something pure, go with the Hex or maybe even the Audio Note Kit DAC5... or the yggy.

Something else you might want to check out is the Mytek Manhattan or Brooklyn. I heard both of those this weekend and they sounded excellent but haven't had much time to dig in. But from what I heard, I'll probably buy the ADDA they will announce at CEDIA next week for vinyl ripping and instrument recording.

John and Starwanderer like this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If you like the sound of the Pono you could consider one of the Ayre DACs. The Ayre Codex is $1800 and supports DSD. The Ayre QB-9 DSD is around $3300.

I'm also in DAC shopping mode. I think I'll likely end up with two DACs. I'm considering a Schiit Yggy or Gungnir Multibit which will cover PCM and converted DSD. Along with either my existing LH Labs Geek Pulse Xfi or an Ayre Codex to get DSD playback and as a way to have something transportable and a different sound.

Dino, Starwanderer and weirdo12 like this.
  12. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

As Ham just pointed out, Schiit and Aqua - more specifically, multibit "R2R/Ladder" DACs generally just handle PCM, or DSD that's been converted to PCM with software pre-DAC. Does anything in the Lampizator lineup meet your budget?

Starwanderer likes this.
  13. Starwanderer

I'm not familiar with the Lampizator lineup. Thanks for posting.

14. Starwanderer

Certainly, the Ayre QB-9 DSD is one of the DACs I'm considering. However, I read in one review that there were not many PCM/DSD sound differences. If I finally decide on this one, I'll have to listen to it first.

EDIT: I've found a dealer in Spain, but it costs about 4000€. I'm afraid I can't afford it

15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

A used PS Audio Direct Stream would cover your bases. I've heard the latest firmware upgrade on these is very good. I've seen them listed on Audiogon for around $3500 USD. I've heard this DAC in person and think it is slightly better than the Vega, though not as sexy looking.

Starwanderer likes this.
  16. Starwanderer

A PS Audio DAC would be great. Thanks.
    I'll check Audiogon, but I'm afraid custom taxes will be too high.

17. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

For something a little different, Decware takes a professional TASCAM Direct Stream ADDA and modifies it with a very cool, high-end, output stage that can both playback and record DSD. This DAC has been giving a lot of costlier DACs a run for their money and has been compared by a member on the Decware forums to the Auralic Vega, PS Audio DSD and IIRC a couple of Chord DACs as well as better sounding due to its output stage, but also a better value considering it's only $1695 USD. As mentioned, this particular DAC can also record in DSD, so you can do needle drops of your own vinyl records in hi-res DSD format and playback from SD Cards and USB HDDs.

Decware Forum thread on Decware DSD: http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1422222973

Decware DSD main page: http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZDSD.html

scobb and Starwanderer like this.
  18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Sounds like you have a price point more in mind than sound. Dollars do not always buy better sonics.

Consider all at or under that target price IMO. You might find less money buys the same or better sonics.

19. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I feel your pain man. Buying a DAC is one of those mindblowing tasks - just like headphones from a certain price range - the more info you get, the less you know and after a while you buy something but you never know if that is amonng the best sounding..
    Frustrating. I have two DAC's I think are going to sound awesome, look great and come from brands I know to deliver the kind of sound I like - One is the T+A DAC 8 (guess by now they gt the DSD option) - but I am guessing the more costly PRIMARE DAC 30 would be just perfect. OTH in reality I'd buy a CD Player with DAC-ability, like the Musical Fidelity M6ScSI CD/DAC or Vincent CD 7/DAC - I know they do not offer DSD at this point but I don't need that anyway.

Take a look at the great reviews the PRIMARE DAC got . Classy built, Scandinavian quality + design.
    http://www.primare.net/product.asp?ProductID=56&d=4
    Seems it got no DSD just 24/192 High Res playback
    CHORD may have one with this feature but it costs probaby more than 3 grand..
    I am just not the right person for DSD DAC's. Never cared about that race towards highest possible upsampling-It is good sound I want from the files I got and these are maximum 24/96-usually 16/44.1 ...

Starwanderer likes this.
  20. Starwanderer

You're right. I just wanted to set a limit in order to focus on particular models and dismiss the ones I can't afford (even though I always aim higher than I can!)
    I always try to buy the best device I can with the money I can fork out ;)

21. Starwanderer

I agree. I've made some mistakes regarding buying audio devices in the past and I think the more information I have, the better device I can get. Of course, the last decision is mine to take, but with a little help from my audiophile friends it'll be easier. :righton:

I think I have a fairly good SACD/CD player, so I'd prefer a dedicated DAC (no CD transport, pre-amp, headphones amp...)
    DSD is very important to me because I have many SACDs I have had ripped and want to enjoy them in my musical server. I know it'd be easier to get a PCM-only DAC, but I like challenges ;)
    Anyway, I think most DACs will include DSD decoding capability in the near future, so maybe I'm going too fast.

22. Starwanderer

It seems there are not many DSD DACs in my price range (at least available in my country). They are way under or way over $3000.
    I know there are less expensive DACs that can match or even better more expensive units, but I think they are the exception to the rule.

It's strange many DACs that cost around $3200-$3500 are almost 4000€ in Spain, which is a shame because after reading more reviews, I would buy the Ayre QB-9 DSD (it costs $3250 in the US)

23. Starwanderer

Well, the more reviews I read, the more confused I am! :laugh:

I think I'm going to focus on the two models I mentioned in my first post and save some money for something else.

M2Tech Young DSD (about 1300€)
    Simaudio Moon Neo 280D DSD (about 1900 €)

I wonder if the differences between the 280D and its big brother, the 380D, are very big. The 380D retails for about 4400€. However, after reading this review I'm really tempted to get it :agree:

http://www.simaudio.com/DATA/TEXTEDOC/TONEAudio62-Neo380D-March14.pdf

I would like a DAC that sounds significantly better than my current DAC, the TEAC UD-501S. I don't mean a quantum leap, of course, but something easily noticeable.

When money arrives, I'll audition them, but in the meantime if there are members here that have got or have heard these DACs, I'd really appreciate it if you could post your impressions and experience here :righton:

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  24. james

james Summon The Queen

I would think at that price point, an in-home trial would be mandatory. Maybe the difference between a 1500 dollar DAC and a 3k dollar DAC won't be great to your ears or in your system? That extra 1500 could go a long way in upgrading your analog front end

Starwanderer and gd0 like this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

In the USA, a component in that price range can (essentially) always be nade available for an in-home trial. More than that, there are literally dozens of excellent (and excellently reviewed) DACs between $1500 - $3000, most do DSD as well. Needless to say, you will find satisfied owners of any or all of them, so I doubt personal attestations will mean much (or at least they shouldn't). Read some reviews and arrange for home trials for the ones that sound most promising.

Starwanderer and gd0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.