Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

Now can we please talk about the music and not friggin King's Road (who I have never even heard of until this thread)!!

2. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Great timing, had this been a few days earlier I could have saved some money. I'm not sure it's unlisted, their whole website is simply down. At least for me. Perhaps struggling under the volume of complaints?

Edit: my mistake, seems the site is back up.

3. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Hard to talk about the music when we haven't got it. I'm glad to be able to share my woes here to be honest. Until you've dealt with someone who has taken your money and is unreachable then I guess you don't know how frustrating that is. It eases the pain somewhat knowing I'm not the only one affected. Sharing is caring

4. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Click on my username and click 'Ignore' if it bothers you so much.

5. downer

downer Senior Member

Both SD sets arrived today from Amazon.ca.

4 days from Canada to Adelaide, Australia, and delivered for the same price as "PoP" on it's own from local outlet JB HiFi, with a release date of 16/10.

Win!

mrjinks likes this.
  6. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

The link in the email is this:

http://eu.kingsroadmerch.com/paul-mccartney/view/?id=9102

Not working for me.

7. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

anybody please post photos on your box set ,
    as its going to be sometime before I get them ,
    thanks

theMess likes this.
  8. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Thank you for posting. It occurs to me also that they should hire someone to manage their social media presence. It doesn't look good when they haven't posted for several days.

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Indeed. And I agree with you. But my point was that we expect an immediate response to correspondence nowadays, we expect the communication. When I started work many moons ago, it was acceptable to ensure that we responded to all enquiries within 10 working days. That's unthinkable now. I now have to reply to emails SAME DAY, regardless of how much work I have on, where I am, what my priorities are or, indeed, even if the email warrants a swift reply. Like you say, the service they've given is actually quite reasonable, it's just that they don't tell you anything.

Funny aside: I've just had an email from them to say that Pipes of Peace deluxe is back in stock and when I click on the link I just get a "can't find webpage" error!

Edit: I see others have reported the same problem.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This is Paul being interviewed by Lewisohn in Club Sandwich in 1994:

Question: Is it true that you contributed to George Harrison's tribute song to John Lennon, 'All Those Years Ago'? There was a lot about this in the press at the time but I can't actually hear you on the recording.

Yes - me, Linda and Denny Laine are in the backing harmonies. We were making the album Tug Of War at the time and we wanted George Harrison to add a guitar overdub onto 'Wanderlust', so George Martin, me, Linda and Denny arranged to go up to George's house. When we got there, though, he said "First I've got this track that I'd like you to sing harmonies on" so we agreed to do that and then do the guitar overdub afterwards. We did our bit, but then, what with one thing and another, he never got around to doing the guitar overdub.

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am pleased to see Pitchfork review both of these albums positively, although I think that Tug Of War should be rated higher than POP by at least a couple of points. Still, it is good to see even POP get some respect from a site like Pitchfork.

I am surprised that yet again, the remasters and remixes have not been mentioned, leaving us with what is basically a new review of the albums and the bonus content, but it is nice to see what the critics of today think, and I thought that this part in particular was interesting:

''The extras dug up for the Tug of War reissue (the Super Deluxe Edition of each also contain DVDs of era-appropriate ephemera) make for some interesting listening—demo versions of "Wanderlust" and "The Pound Is Sinking", and a version of "Ebony" with just McCartney on electric piano. But those pale in comparison to the veritable alternate LP included in Pipes of Peace. The previously unreleased "It's Not On" sounds like Ween, while the tremolo guitar that floats across another rare cut, "Simple As That", could be the secret template for The Smiths' "How Soon Is Now?". Elsewhere, proper album tracks like "Average Person", "Keep Under Cover" and "Sweetest Little Show" in demo form sound like they could have been leftovers from Ram. In all, this reissue series continues to shine a new light on McCartney's varied solo output, finding new stories they tell.''

12. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Thanks jlimburg! And Yay for Pitchfork. I'd quibble with the rating assignments (hey- I'm a fan and think the rest of the world should be too!), but rating in the sixes is perfectly respectable in a Pitchfork context. Also, as fivebyfive notes, this was a respectful and informed review. So, good! Also: pleasant that Pitchfork thought these two were worthy of review to begin with - in fact, they are quite selective with the reissues they review (ordinarily like two titles per month, though more as the holiday season gears up) and scoring a review there is not a given even for someone of McCartney's profile.

theMess likes this.
  13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Thanks, Ben -- I'm sure I've seen that quote here before; I must have forgotten it. I'm still surprised Paul didn't mention it in the ToW book -- he usually doesn't miss an opportunity to tell a Beatle story... in particular, I'd love to know what the "one thing and another" was that prevented George from doing a solo. Were they chatting and having a great time, and never got to it, or was George stalling, having already gotten what he wanted out of the visit?

anthontherun and theMess like this.
  14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I appreciate reading your thoughts. But the issue is with BOTH DVDs, and I've played them both back on two different players and two different displays. As Jerry Horne mentioned, some of the footage has a weird framerate speed-up that makes it look, as he put it, like a Keystone Cops film. Randomly, I noticed it in particular at the beginning of the "Take It Away" video. Eric Stewart looks like he's hopped up on caffeine or something.

I've been watching and collecting video for decades, so I can tell the difference between "aged" video and when something is wrong with the mastering process. The actual visual quality of the footage on these DVDs is just fine; on par with if not better than other releases (and certainly the cropped "McCartney Years" set). But any improvement in that area is negated by the framerate issue.

I think it may be an NTSC issue with US discs. I'm honestly not sure if they mastered both PAL and NTSC versions for different regions?

Is the previous poster who confirmed these DVD issues, Jerry Horne, in the US? It may explain why only some folks are seeing this issue.

Did all of the stuff get converted to 25fps PAL, and then something go weird when they converted the stuff to 30fps NTSC?

I'm guessing between many folks posting here outside the US, plus some fans' lack of huge interest in the DVD portion of the set, and then those who aren't too discerning or picky when it comes to video quality, this may be a difficult QA issue with the DVDs to get any firm information on.

lennon_08518 likes this.
  15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My Japanese SHM-CD + DVD versions of both big ultra deluxe sets should be here soon ...

16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

For those questioning my claim that the "original album" in the TOW deluxe edition is the same as the old Parlophone CD here are the Dynamic Range reports...

Pretty clear to me that just made it a little quieter so it wouldn't peak at 0 like the original disc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: Tug of War (Japan black face)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 over -15.81 dB 01 Tug of War.m4a
    DR14 over -14.65 dB 02 Take It Away.m4a
    DR15 -0.63 dB -17.71 dB 03 Somebody Who Cares.m4a
    DR14 over -15.94 dB 04 What's That You're Doing_.m4a
    DR11 -6.89 dB -21.55 dB 05 Here Today.m4a
    DR13 over -13.76 dB 06 Ballroom Dancing.m4a
    DR12 -0.20 dB -14.19 dB 07 The Pound Is Sinking.m4a
    DR12 -0.40 dB -15.23 dB 08 Wanderlust.m4a
    DR14 -0.58 dB -16.26 dB 09 Get It.m4a
    DR11 -6.35 dB -20.79 dB 10 Be What You See (Link).m4a
    DR12 -1.36 dB -14.37 dB 11 Dress Me Up as a Robber.m4a
    DR13 -0.20 dB -14.75 dB 12 Ebony and Ivory.m4a

Number of files: 12
    Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

Analyzed folder: Tug of War (deluxe original album)
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -0.20 dB -16.01 dB 2-01 Tug of War.m4a
    DR14 -0.20 dB -14.85 dB 2-02 Take It Away.m4a
    DR15 -0.83 dB -17.91 dB 2-03 Somebody Who Cares.m4a
    DR14 -0.20 dB -16.14 dB 2-04 What's That You're Doing_.m4a
    DR11 -7.09 dB -21.75 dB 2-05 Here Today.m4a
    DR13 -0.20 dB -13.96 dB 2-06 Ballroom Dancing.m4a
    DR12 -0.40 dB -14.39 dB 2-07 The Pound Is Sinking.m4a
    DR12 -0.60 dB -15.43 dB 2-08 Wanderlust.m4a
    DR14 -0.78 dB -16.46 dB 2-09 Get It.m4a
    DR11 -6.55 dB -21.00 dB 2-10 Be What You See (Link).m4a
    DR12 -1.56 dB -14.65 dB 2-11 Dress Me Up as a Robber.m4a
    DR13 -0.40 dB -14.95 dB 2-12 Ebony and Ivory.m4a

Number of files: 12
    Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

17. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Very nice!! I assume you have yours.

18. Beaneydave

This.

19. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

DR values are a bit of a mystery to me, but I understand a number that high is pretty good (I.e. not overly compressed), is that right?

theMess likes this.
  20. Beaneydave

Spoke to someone at Kingsroad just now , same story too many orders & late delivery of stock , too busy to reply to emails (15 from me so far!)
    Will ship tomorrow or Thursday.
    Very poor indeed sounds like a one man band type of set up to me. I hope MPL are aware of this cock up and don't use them next time cause I won't.

Peace and love✌

Yorick, OobuJoobu, jl151080 and 2 others like this.
  21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

These remasters sound fantastic :cheers:

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Bet you are now wishing that you ordered through the Tibetan Yak method. In fact, the latest update has informed me that the yaks are going TOO fast, and they need to be slowed down. A+++ all the way:

[​IMG]

;)

23. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

What with one thing and another, it's a tug of war.

24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely agree, and can only think that he didn't mention it because it was not a positive experience. I would like to know how the session originated in the first place; did their relationship improve because of John's death? Before hand, George was saying that he wouldn't want to record with Paul again, and yet there he was agreeing to play on Wanderlust.

I hope that they didn't get round to it because they were having a good time, but I have also heard rumours that it wasn't a completely comfortable meeting.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Paul is certainly a fan :D:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.