Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Say Say Say remix video is premiering on Paul's Facebook in approx. one hour.

theMess likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Have you listened to the non-remix version of Tug Of War? If so, how does it sound?

3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Was just looking for that too !

Peace and love✌

theMess likes this.
  4. Beaneydave

I like it better so far but time will tell

theMess likes this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Great minds think alike.......

But fools seldom differ. :D

Johnny Reb likes this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Does it sound better than the 1993 Tug Of War?

7. Beaneydave

About The same l think , very little in it IMO.
    The new remix is not as good

Peace and love✌

theMess likes this.
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

One problem that I do have with the review is that it claims that these two albums are the first solo-McCartney where you can hear his love of R&B; has the writer never heard Venus And Mars or Red Rose Speedway?

Johnny Reb and Rob Hughes like this.
  9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I'd like to think it was a) but have a feeling it was likely b)

In my mind, what happened was, they talked at some point, good vibes all around (maybe alcohol was involved) and in the moment they thought it would be a great idea to collaborate on Wanderlust while they were going to be there for ATYA. In the cold light of morning, George came to his senses and they only did the backing vocals at the session.

cuddlytoy likes this.
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I was wondering if it was a US-format issue. I don't have my sets yet to check but when I do get them I'll certainly see if I notice the same problem.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I remember reading in my younger days that George visited Paul in the studio a few years earlier, namely in 1979--possibly during the Back To The Egg sessions (unless it was a solo session for McCartney II): "Up for the day from his home in Oxfordshire, some thirty miles from London, George Harrison had spent the morning in the recording studio with Paul McCartney. It was not, he hastened to explain, a meeting that presaged any sort of Beatles reunion."

From the first line of a George interview in Rolling Stone in April 1979:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/a-conversation-with-george-harrison-19790419#ixzz3nnSHXWvo

So I think they were fine friends through even the worst of times, who understandably had some spats from time to time due to the nature of the Beatles business problems.

theMess likes this.
  12. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

No, no, there's nothing of the sort on my set. Absolutely not.

I totally understand and trust you. But as I said, I work in the video field, it's my job since 1990. So I'm every day in a public tv station manipulating and editing pictures and sound for tv shows and documentaries, so I believe I have at least the same "accuracy" as you when it comes to detecting problems. I'm not saying what you're seeing does not exists on your copies. I'm just saying those problems do not seem to appear on my copies.

Correct assumption, except that I think that the Macca Archives series has been made in only one format for the whole world since the beggining with Band on the run, and that's NTSC.
    And anyway, my set came from Amazon Canada so it is NTSC whatsoever.

I watched the Pipes of peace DVD. While I agree this one is a bit more damaged in terms of picture quality, there is no problems with the framerate either, except maybe on the Say say say video.
    For that particular video, there is indeed a motion problem, that I didn't quite identified yet. I won't say it looks like a Keystone Cops film, but something is wrong. At first I thought it was a common problem known as "wrong field order". (the interlaced image is interverted: the upper field is coming first while it should be the lower field, or vice-versa). But the default is not pronounced enough to be this. With a "wrong field order" all fast movements would be VERY distorted, almost like saccades. In the "Say say say" video, it looks like that but it is quite atenuated.

Anyway, the other material (So bad, Pipes of peace (too much edge enhancement on that one - but that doesn't impact the framerate), the recording and horses stuff...), all of this looks as good as on the Tug of war set.

Rob Hughes and theMess like this.
  13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Must say that it's not unthinkable now. In my current recruitment job, we have 10 working days to respond to customer enquiries. Due to the volume of work, it would be impossible to reply to emails on the same day.

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I've never heard Pipes of Peace. It it 80s Pop/New Wave?

15. You mean 4-6 weeks for delivery. That's the old days.

16. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:D

Still waiting for Pipes though.

Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah, but if you weren't a forum regular, you could probably respond much quicker.

;)

Paul H, theMess and jl151080 like this.
  18. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Just received my Super Deluxe TOW from Amazon Italy. A big thank you to the person that mentioned here that Amazon sold copies too and the information proved to be correct. A nice surprise!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  19. Oh. Lucky us. :tiphat:

20. helter

helter Forum Resident

Well what happen was George had a flashback regarding his upcoming guitar overdub for Paul
    Suddenly he remembered .......
    George Harrison: [to Paul] Yeah, okay, well, I don't mind. I'll play, you know, whatever you want me to play. Or I won't play at all if you don't want me to play, you know. Whatever it is that'll please you, I'll do it.

He then had second thoughts .....and the guitar overdub never was made
    That's what really happened folks :)

theMess likes this.
  21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

What do you mean by "George came to his senses"? That it would have been a mistake for him to record something on a McCartney album?
    I've learned to dislike ATYA. I loved it when it was released but over the years it annoys me more and more for different reasons.

22. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I don't know what to think after my first listen to TOW. On one hand, I hear things I've never heard. But the high end seems really high and up front. And the vocals seem to be almost in the background at times.

This could be the first time I'm disappointed in Paul's redo of one if his albums. I'm not giving up on it. But at the same time in not about to get rid of my old copy just yet.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  23. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Good news! This has given me hope that I might recieve mine after all.

theMess likes this.
  24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This is what it looks like:

http://imgur.com/S7FFKm4

theMess likes this.
  25. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Exactly, like, the moment had passed and Geirge thought "what did I get myself into?"

Their relations seemed to run hot and cold anyway and if George smelled a "trap" to put the band back together -even if that was not the intent - it would be enough for him to back out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.