THE SESSIONS - a LIVE re-staging of the Beatles at Abbey Road Studios

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flipje, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flipje

Flipje Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

"Each song – from the first recording to the last – is played exactly as it was recorded"

So far I don't understand that. Are they going to stage "The Beatles" - meaning the white album?

3. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

So this show will all be Paul songs?

majorlance and Kermit27 like this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

In the body text about the show it says from "Love Me Do" to "The End".

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this would be more interesting if they were just going to play all the master tapes. not interested in watching a Beatles cover band

NYSPORTSFAN and MoonPool like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If they show the whole track by track overdubbing process for a number of their more layered recordings I think that could be very cool to watch for me personally, though I expect it would have selective appeal.

7. Flipje

"This show is like a ‘recording session in progress’ – the light goes on, and ‘THE SESSIONS’ comes to life with a re-staging of the original studio equipment; the sound baffles, the boom mics and the instruments used for these historic recordings. The show will feature the ‘evolution’ of the recordings, with a musical ensemble of 39 musicians and 8 singers who cover the main and multiple vocal overdubs. All instrumentation, arrangements and harmonies will be performed identically to the original recordings – including the guitars, amps, microphones, orchestral instruments – just as if we were watching and listening to The Beatles ‘record’ and ‘play’ LIVE their greatest songs in a concert setting.

THS IS NOT A LOOK-A-LIKE SHOW – but it’s the closest ‘sound-a-like” possible. We feature the finest musicians to play every part, and the best Beatles vocalists in the world, all hand-picked by the producers and Geoff Emerick."

Rfreeman likes this.
  8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The running time of the show is seven years!

9. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

One of the show's creators is named Stig.

Daddy Dom and Flipje like this.
  10. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Assuming that this is not all one big April Fool's joke...

Will they leave out I Feel Fine, She's A Woman, and Hey Jude among others, for not having been recorded at Abbey Road? Wouldn't a lot of The White Album and Let It Be be ineligible for being recorded at Apple Studios?

11. Flipje

Good question! And I'm not an April Fool! I was born in May.

12. Flipje

Maybe this will turn out to be one big Rutles show!

Mr_Vinyl and Fred68 like this.
  13. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

I want to see 100+ takes of "Not Guilty".

14. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Funnily enough, the April 1st show is sold out. Hmm...

15. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Will there be a "Yoko" sitting there for good measure?

sewerdog and Flipje like this.
  16. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

at $4.20 a minute for the phone inquires plus of course your regular international charges the ca-chings add up pretty quickly. ah, the cost of naive nostalgia

17. Flipje

The show is coming to Amsterdam, but no mention of it under tour dates.
    I assume they are going to tour over America as well(?).
    Anybody else planning to go?

18. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I heard of this show in the form of a rumor about a day before this thread first posted.
    My friend said there were no plans to come to the US.

Old news / old rumor, let's hope it succeeds so big, so broadly, that they choose to try at least a few US and Canadian cities

Flipje likes this.
  19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

just as if we were watching and listening to The Beatles ‘record’ and ‘play’ LIVE their greatest songs in a concert setting - Only, we're not.
    hand-picked by the producers and Geoff Emerick." - I don't know who "the producers" are, but having Geoff Emerick involved does not bode well. As someone else said, are they just going to play Paul songs? Or are they going to play the practice takes where George flubs his solos?

Just one more sound-alike concert.
    Been there, done that, don't need to see/hear another one.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  20. misko

misko Forum Resident

I would love to see this.

Flipje likes this.
  21. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

I would pay to see it, if it comes to the U.S.

Flipje likes this.
  22. Flipje

I just paid to see it! April 17th, Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam.
    Ok, it's not The Beatles, but I think this is not going to be a standard Beatlescoverband concert!

23. elmahranbird

elmahranbird Forum Resident

Saw it this Monday in Dublin (3rd April). Was very pleasantly surprised. They played about 60 songs or so, covering most of the albums except Let It Be.
    This review more or less sums it up nicely Review: The Sessions at Liverpool Echo Arena ».
    What I particular liked I guess, is how they sounded really authentic, using the "correct" gear and instruments for all of the songs. Also, it wasn't just a "greatest hits" show, they didn't shy away from playing "Tomorrow Never Knows", for example.
    Purists would probably also argue that performing Sgt.Peppers back to back with A Little Help..wasn't how the session actually went, however it did sound really like the album:)

Some other nice theatrical details were how they did the accidental feedback intro discovery for I Feel Fine, or the Yellow Submarine session (it was a bit like how that's described here: Yellow Submarine | The Beatles Bible »

"..The group raided Abbey Road's 'trap room'; a small area, little more than a cupboard, which housed whistles, bells, chains and a huge number of other sources for sound effects.

Everybody at the studio was encouraged to join in the recording. A bath filled with water had chains dragged around inside it; The Rolling Stones' Brian Jones clinked glasses, John Lennon filled a bucket with water and blew bubbles into it, and contributed some memorable vocals to the final verse."

Definitely much more than just some Beatles Tribute Band. Would really recommend this. Close your eyes and it's just like listening to their LPs (MONO of course:), just at a slightly higher volume than in your own living room:)

Flipje and GetRhythm like this.
  24. Flipje

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait till next year!

25. elmahranbird

elmahranbird Forum Resident

Flipje likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.