The Lynyrd Skynyrd Album by Album Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Can I just say that I was a teenager in the 80s when I borrowed some records from my uncle, two of them being Skynyrd's "Gold and Platinum" and "Second Helping" so "I Need You" was actually the very first Skynyrd song that I ever heard outside of the hits and it just floored me!!! I used to....wait...I still crank this everytime I hear it just to get the full effect on the tremolo Myke describes above...and then I heard "Questions" and "Workin'" and "Curtis Lowe" and I realized there was so much to this band that a basic hits collection would never suffice again.

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I just looked that up. I never noticed it on the credits. I always thought it was Allen double tracked but it sounded strange to me nonetheless like he used two different guitars. Mystery solved. :doh:

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It's all good. Apologies for my short response. I was on my phone, and also couldn't link a photo of the back cover

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought the mystery was solved, back with post # 788, where you asked for my help, and I quoted Ed's post about it being both Allen and Gary.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

7. Rose River Bear

It's called old age (or drunkenness) Myke. :hide:
    I honestly forgot the post. I even did a quick search for other posts and I just missed them.

Myke likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Geet up there mules!

9. Rose River Bear

[​IMG]

Freebird The Movie

Released August 1996

Directed by Jeff Waxman

The Soundtrack songs...

"Workin' for MCA" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "I Ain't the One" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Saturday Night Special" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Whiskey Rock-A-Roller" (Ed King, Billy Powell, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Travelin' Man" (Leon Wilkeson, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Searchin'" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "What's Your Name?" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "That Smell" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Gimme Three Steps" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Call Me the Breeze" (J.J. Cale)
    "T for Texas (Blue Yodel No.1)" (Jimmie Rodgers)
    "Sweet Home Alabama" (Ed King, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Free Bird" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant)
    "Dixie" (Traditional)

Forgive me if some of my review is not on point since it has been over a year since I saw the film and my copy is back in New Jersey with my nephew who I loaned it to and has yet to return it. I guess I should just buy another one at this point. Anyway, the movie is mostly live performances from Knebworth and a couple others from NJ and Oakland. The performances are from 1976-1977 and they are all great IMO. The sound quality is a little spotty at times but overall they are decent enough. The film has some nice interviews and there is some old footage that is amazing. The interviews and vintage footage are interspersed between the on stage footage.

I must admit though I think they could have done a better job with the production on the movie. It seems that they spent very little as far as that goes. However, it is still worth the money to get it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    slipkid and Exile On My Street like this.
  10. Rose River Bear

11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

There's an interview with, I think Randal Hall where he talks about the first times he saw Skynyrd, they had two drummers - RM and BB

He intimates that it was over a period of time in the early days. Does anyone have dates for when RM was a member early on??

12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I like the "One More Time" with Ed King overdubs personally...but good disc!!

Next, burn the 1st album on the same disc as Street Survivors...blow his mind.

highway likes this.
  13. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

It took me some time to find a decent used copy for a reasonable price. I finally found a copy last week, cheap because it was missing the original DVD case and came in a black generic one. I wanted the disc and didn't care about the case so no big deal. Overall this DVD was hit and miss for me. There are two "movies" on this disc, the first is primarily live concert footage from 76-77 and the second is composed of live footage and other content from the reunion tour of 1987.

The first movie which has the live 76-77 concert footage was a disappointment, I was expecting the video and audio to have been cleaned up and polished to some extent. Also disappointing is that most if not all the live concert footage I've already seen on YT. Calling the audio spotty is being generous, what you hear on YT is what is found on this disc, it's average to crappy. On the plus side there is some content I've never seen before along with some pretty good interviews and outtakes. I'll never tire of watching them play live so it's nice to have a copy to play whenever I wish.

I also watched the reunion tour movie(once I figured out how to play it), this was a whole lot better than the first in terms of video and audio quality. I found it very interesting to watch the survivors along with Ed King play together again 10 years after the crash. Took me a few moments to recognize Leon, big bushy beard was gone and his hair was much lighter in color, he looked good. Wasn't terribly impressed with JVZ on vocals at first but as things progressed I think he did a decent job. I also liked the guitar player(can't remember his name) who filled in for Allen, great player with a fun loving personality. This is the only footage I've seen of Allan after his paralyzing crash, I found it tragic and sad to see how he ended up. Gary Rossington is the most intriguing person in the band. He seems like a nice down to earth person and comes across as being a bit naive in every interview I've seen. Maybe it's just an act. All in all I'm happy with this purchase and don't regret hunting down a copy but I was expecting a bit more from the vintage concert footage. One other thing, whomever designed the menu on this disc deserves a solid kick in the cookies.

slipkid and Rose River Bear like this.
  14. Myke

Freebird The Movie
    didn't look that great on the big screen either, but that was 1996. A lot of us, esp. then, were thankful to have anything.
    The reason you've seen most of it on You Tube is, again, it's a 19 year-old film, with content shot mostly on Super 8.
    My son and I attended the Nashville premiere. He was 13. He's now 32.
    For PQ and SQ, it's pretty bad, esp. in 2015.
    As an historic archive, it's priceless. Glad you're happy overall.

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Where are you finding the 1987 reunion stuff? Maybe I have some kind of budget edition of the DVD, mine is for the Scandinavian market, there's just the main film and some extra songs ("Alabama" from Knebworth and "That Smell" from Winterland). I'm starting to wonder if I have some kind of bootleg version, I bought it through one of the biggest webshops over here, but they have lots of shady gray area DVDs...

I had the film on a bad VHS copy for a long time (I have actually not played the DVD many times since I got it since I had seen it many times already), so the quality never really bothered me, never knew what problem was inherent and what was on my transfer.

It's a shame about the sound quality / mix on the accompanying soundtrack album, since that material (as far as I know) is unique to that album... I have never owned that CD, and it is quite scarce around here and expensive when I see it online.

This is the version of the DVD that I have:
    http://www.discogs.com/Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Freebird-The-Movie/release/6686263

Edit: Ok, I assume this is the "proper" version, guess I have to upgrade:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Freebird-Tribute-Concert/dp/B000PMGRP0

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  16. catchthecarp

Well it looks like we both learned something here, I wasn't aware there was more than 1 version of the DVD.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I never looked too carefully what mine said on the cover, I just assumed it was legit, but now I'm having doubts. I do remember it was very cheap, and it is no longer available. It is made by a Norwegian company called "CCV", but it has a "Cabin Fever" copyright. Does your version have the two bonus tracks I mentioned?

(By the way, the "That Smell" clip isn't from Winterland, I was a little quick to draw my conclusion based on it being B&W footage, it is of course from Asbury Park, same as "What's Your Name" in the main feature.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  18. catchthecarp

99, my disc didn't come in the original DVD case so I have no table of contents to read on the packaging. All I recall seeing on the DVD's menu were two choices, Freebird The Movie and The Tribute Tour movie, no bonus tracks. I will check again when I get from work.

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Finally picked up a clean copy of Collectybles for a decent price- :) (well, decent for this set that is)

20. Rose River Bear

I was hoping someone mentioned the menu. I usually don't comment on stuff like that but you are right, it is terrible.

21. Rose River Bear

Great! I listened to that set the other day and it is fairly essential for Skynyrd fans.

22. Myke

I had both movies originally on VHS, they were separate then.
    When it went to DVD, they combined them, having enough space on one disc.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Those two tracks are in an "extra features" section on my DVD.

24. catchthecarp

Me too. 2 loose discs, no jewel case, ten bucks.

Rose River Bear and telepicker97 like this.
  25. catchthecarp

I put the disc in my player and all I saw were the two movies on the menu, no bonus tracks/features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.