Thank You Janie Hendrix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Exactly. and I don't think there is much duplication over the titles, a few songs here and there but nothing like the Beatles or Stones 'compilations'. People forget about that sometimes, how easily it would have been to say, have the PHA version of 'Somewhere' show up on 5 other boxes or comps. :yikes:
    And I still say, you can complain all you want, but those people would NEVER be satisfied even if Jimi himself came back to life and redid the catalog. 'Oh Jimi, you really blew it with the mix on Axis, you should have never messed with the original mix man.......................................:wtf:

believe you me, if you don't like a release, then resell it at a low price and make somebody's day.....
    it's all good.
    the beave

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

yes they are Tullman. They've done good for us who like spinning the vinyl slab of Jimi.
    the beave

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Good point - the best tracks were RAHs one and technically not even in the west. Ironic!

4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

The RAH is 'in the west' where I am :)

Jimi Bat, Purple Jim and John Fell like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's interesting that the Winterland tapes were either forgotten or lost and not considered when the original In The West was compiled or the RAH and Isle Of Wight cuts might not have been included. It's also interesting that I Don't Live Today from the Forum show was not included on the original version. It's certainly better than the Isle Of Wight cuts.

Maidenpriest and Rose River Bear like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, a good example of how STUPID and uncaring Janie & Co. are at times. What the hell were they thinking? The cut off fantastic music and fill up space with a goddamn interview that one will only listen to once. Pathetic.

What annoyed me also was the fact that Jimi's blistering three opening songs of the Winterland residency were relegated to a position within the "bonus" CD. They are brilliant, so why not open the box set with them? Because they had already been released in the past? Instead, we plunge in at the second show of the first night which opens with "Tax Free" (great stuff of course). The CD 2 does the same thing, beginning with the second show and...Tax Free as first song again! These are what are called "creative errors" as far as I am concerned.
    The box is aimed at nutters like me, like us, and they should take more care (because boy, are we watching them).

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, what the hell was the Queen/Sgt. Peppers doing on In The West? That is Eddie thinking that it's "kinda fun".

dino77 and John Fell like this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I guess he figured it was covers of songs that had not been released at that point.

In addition, if the Berkeley Hear My Train A Comin' was not added to Rainbow Bridge, it would have been on there.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  9. parman

parman Music Junkie

Listening to Berkeley on vinyl right now. It's very good, maybe they will release the early show at some point.

10. parman

parman Music Junkie

Just listened to Band Of Gypsys, mines on a Classic/Exp Hendrix 1997 reissue. I think it's great, like Billy's backing vocals. Maybe someday they will rerelease that triple LP. I just read where Jimi did that LP to fulfill a contract he wanted out of, maybe Janie doesn't have the rights to reissue it..

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I saw the same thing happen a few years ago, a teenage girl was looking through the Hendrix bin and picked out Valleys Of Neptune. She did not appear to be a major Hendrix enthusiast, nor did she look like she knew what she was looking for. She had a handful of contemporary, pop CDs in the her hand and starting browsing Hendrix. It appeared she saw a neat CD cover and thought maybe she should check out some Hendrix during her CD buying spree. I wanted to say something, almost warn her if she wasn't overly familiar with his music.

Purple Jim and dino77 like this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Fair enough!

But I still think it was a stupid title for an album. :)

Maidenpriest likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You probably should have pointed her towards Smash Hits or AYE.

It sounds like there weren't any other Hendrix titles in the bins for the other guy's encounter with young fans.

Fullbug likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

The same thing probably applies to what I witnessed. It was a big box retailer purging its music section, so there probably weren't many Hendrix titles to choose from. Still, as a Hendrix fan, you hate to see what appears to be an unsuspecting, casual consumer picking up a Hendrix disc knowing that it may very well disappoint and be somewhat of a misrepresentation of the artist.

15. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

i dont think fender (or gibson for that matter) every had a copyright for the body style of guitars. thats why theres so many companies using them..

16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Interesting to hear this; every time I float this argument I get shot down - "only diehards buy these albums, blah blah". Clearly not.

17. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Great post ... I agree that the criticism on Janie and EH concerning the releases has reached a ridiculous level on this forum.
    The Fillmore East performances have been heavily edited by Jim himself to compile the Band Of Gypsys album. Some members here would possibly tell Jimi that he should have released the whole gigs in the correct sequence ("and don´t forget the Black Gold rehear ... ehh ... album, man!")

The truth is somewhere in the middle: neither has EH released all stuff the way it deserves to be nor have they ruined Jimi´s legacy.

If someone goes into a record store and picks up Valleys Of Neptune instead of Are You Experienced as the first Jimi album it´s his own fault ... I did the right thing and was informed and so everybody can.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Bleeding Heart on Valleys is worth the price of admission alone... Jimi is smoldering on that song.

kanakaris likes this.
  19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Why oh why

20. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Just one question. RAH. When?

smoke likes this.
  21. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Interesting and I'll gladly stand corrected. I have the WINTERLAND vinyl box and there is plenty of additional room on those LPs. Presumably the CDs lacked space?

22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'll take her over Gail Zappa.

23. PacificOceanBlue

There are a few songs on VoN worth the price of admission, but overall, it is a very uneven collection and the title track hybrid/Frankenstein concoction is an abomination.

jhm likes this.
  24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

How so? I'm not familiar with it besides the instrumental tracks on hear my music.

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't have the individual disc timings in front of me, but as was noted earlier, you leave off a 19 minute interview on disc 4 and that leaves you a lot more room for either extra cuts or unedited songs. The desire to have a single disc represent each night could certainly have played into the editing decisions. The edited AYE is on disc 2; the edit itself is about 4 and a half minutes.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.