Is USPS Providing Tracking on International First Class Packages?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by LordThanos1969, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I mailed a package first class to England today, and the postal clerk said that apparently you can now track these packages using the USPS site. I went to their site tonight, and sure enough, it provided a tracking history. I am curious to see if this will work all the way until it is delivered. If so, it is a real boon for US sellers, as we no longer have to contend with the massively expensive Express Mail International to get tracking.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Can you give me that number? Very curious about this!

3. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I think the tracking stops when the package leaves the USA. Please let me know if I am wrong.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I sent one to France last Monday and all I see is Acceptance at the PO. 1st Class Customs label numbers have always been a crapshoot through the USPS tracking system, sometimes I've seen them go right to the recipient's door, sometimes not. I don't think that changed with the rate change, except maybe to Canadia.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

any update on this?

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Only way you're gonna get a tracking number is via registered mail or Priority Mail International.

7. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

For registered mail (I figure USPS First Class is indeed registered mail with a tracking code on it, at least all the ones I received do have one) you can have tracking of different types depending on current agreements between the "Universal" Postal Service of each country with the country from where the package is sent. It's not the same for all countries, USPS should be able to provide you with a list/table showing what countries have made agreements with the USA (USPS) for full tracking history exchange between their respective tracking systems. When such agreement does not exist, the tracking stops when the package leaves the country. Then, in some cases, the tracking continues on the destination country (by accessing that country postal service tracking website), or if they change the parcel registration number (they can change it by putting a sticker with a local number over the old one as it arrives at destination country) then it might be not traceable anymore without the new number...

The agreement and protocol in place between every two countries can (and does) change more often than what most would expect...

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.