POLL: 'Rumours' album by Fleetwood Mac in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by W.B., May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I love every incarnation, every album (except for maybe 'Time'; while good, it's not a FM album)

2. telepicker97

What CD are you talking about??

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The album Rumours - no matter what format.

4. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

DVD-A, EU+US 2LP 45RPM resissues, '80s(?) vinyl pressing (most likely German), CD (not sure which issue).

Plus: 25 Years - The Chain, Behind The Mask, Greatest Hits (CBS+WB), Tango In The Night, The Very Best Of and Tusk.

5. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Thanks for the insightful contribution! Think I'll go take one of MY wife's CDs that I hate and search for a thread to cr@p all over. (ok edit to add, you DID say you were 'giving another chance', so maybe I was a bit harsh)

6. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

No Rumours here...I heard enough of that album growing up when my mom used to play it and then was pummeled by it on AOR radio until I discovered college radio in 1982.

I do have virtually every track recorded by Peter Green-era FM though.

7. 'Tusk' is under-rated because, IMHO, it should have been a single LP like 'Rumours' was. At the risk of offense, those Lindsay Buckingham songs spaced throughout 'Tusk' belong on a solo project & essentially ruin an otherwise fantastic album. 'Tusk' gets no chance to flow, constantly being interrupted by what I will kindly refer to as Buckingham's 'experimental' tracks. My 2 cents...

8. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac
    Rumors
    Tusk (My favorite)
    The Best of Fleetwood Mac
    The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac
    The Chain

I picked up The Chain at Kemp Mill where they had a cut out rack. The Chain was in the cut out rack, and priced nicely for box sets at the time. Overall the Chain is a nice view of their history (up to that point).

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's not a thread crap at all! The OP just asks if one has it in one's collection. It doesn't say "Rumours" appreciation thread. If we can't give our opinions here, what the hell is this forum about? What is any forum about? Does it have to be squeaky clean and cute like that pathetic album? Hell, get hip USA.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Rumors, squeaky clean and cute? Now that is a new one. One way to approach Rumors is not to focus on how some of the tracks have been overplayed for nearly 40 years, how some of it may sound dated and a product of its time, and how it became so big that its reflective and emotional content was buried under its popularity and melodic production. Rumors was not created to be a squeaky clean and cute pop album. There are some deep, dark, introspective songs -- hardly clean and cute. The musicianship is supreme. Going back in time and taking into consideration what the band was going through, the emotional and personal turmoil surrounding some of the members and their relationships, and how many of the songs represented all of that certainly adds a differently layer and perspective to the music if one can get past its huge level of popularity.

Yost, Rock66 and Old Rusty like this.
  11. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

How many copies has it sold ?

12. Somewhere in the vicinity of 45 million or so copies. Allegedly.

telepicker97 likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I get all that POB and the documentary Don't Stop is fantastic and fascinating but the music itself, no matter how well played just makes me puke. I think it's the insipid vocals from Buckingham and McVie that put me off the most. Hell, I remember at the time (in the UK) the album and the band were one of the most un-cool things that one could listen to, because the music was so safe-safe middle-of-the road, AOR tripe. Plenty of squares with dreadful taste in music (and little knowledge about the art form) really liked them though and created those "album sales" - big deal.

14. Those of us of a certain age all remember how cool The Punks thought they were & how un-cool they deemed everyone else, especially bands like Fleetwood Mac.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Epic US stereo LP & Blue Horizon UK 2004 remastered CD
    Mr. Wonderful - Columbia Australia 1999 CD
    Blues Jam in Chicago, Vol. 1 - Blue Horizon US LP
    English Rose - Epic US stereo LP & BGO UK 2007 remastered CD
    The Pious Bird of Good Omen - Columbia Rewind UK 1998 CD
    Then Play On - Reprise US 1990 CD
    Kiln House - Reprise US LP & Reprise US 1987 CD
    Fleetwood Mac - Rhino US 2004 remastered CD
    Rumours - Warner Bros. US 1990 CD & Warner Bros. US 2001 DVD-Audio
    Tusk - Warner Bros. US 2LP & Warner Bros. US 1990 CD
    Greatest Hits - Warner Bros. US 1988 CD
    The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac - Rhino US 2002 2CD

As you can see, my interest lies mainly in the early blues/rock period and (more casually) in the later Southern California band; I was really into Peter Green and somewhat into Danny Kirwan. But I've heard so much about what's in between that I'm leaning toward exploring that a little more deeply.

16. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

The only FM in my collection is the Peter Green-era stuff.

I'm not a hater of the better-known incarnations of the band, but man they played that stuff a LOT on the radio back then, and I just never completely bought into it. In later years I got curious and sought out the earlier albums.

17. telepicker97

I don't care what anyone else thinks - I like what I like.

18. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I only have a vinyl copy of Mirage. Just never got into them too much.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nothing to do with punks. There was always Little Feat, Coltrane, Bob Marley, Beefheart, Funkadelic,... cool music.

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
    Then Play On
    Future Games
    Bare Trees
    Mystery To Me
    Heroes are Hard to Find
    Fleetwood Mac (1975)
    Rumours
    Greatest Hits

I definitely want to pick up Tusk and perhaps a couple of the other earlier records (Kiln House)...

telepicker97 likes this.
  21. midnightcowboy

midnightcowboy Well-Known Member

Makes me kind of glad to be born after all that, I love punk music and Fleetwood Mac the same.

I have all of Fleetwood Mac's live and studio albums since Fleetwood Mac (1975), as well as all Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks' solo albums (including a personalised autographed copy of Stevie's solo album In Your Dreams). I also have some bootlegs of Fleetwood Mac as well as Buckingham and Nicks solo. My favourite live recording is from Los Angeles 1982 on the Mirage tour. It was released officially on home video back in the day but I believe it's now out of print. It has perhaps the best version of The Chain ever performed:

nicole21290 likes this.
  22. telepicker97

They played that show on HBO constantly when I was a kid. It was a good time to be alive.

23. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

It's the bloody Fleetwood Mac Rumours album ....shut up!
    -Sir Paul McCartney

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

too bad...

25. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Almost nobody agrees. Rumours is one of the greatest single pop albums of all time. It's stay at #1 was the stuff of legends. It's not a "deep" album -- but the backstory gives it some legs. I played my orignal KP pressing the other day for the first time in years. It's got a lot of magic.

I was TOTALLY into punk and I loved this album. Maybe I didn't keep it near the Clash and Ramones pile. It was a guilty pleasure that reminded me why pop music is the nucleus of lots of the stuff I love. The basss guitar and drums on Rumours is bedrock. The songwriting is exactly what was needed for that record.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.