SACD player upgrade from Pioneer DV-47Ai

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SirAngus, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thinking about getting a Marantz SA8500? I assume it will be an upgrade from my current Pioneer in sound quality but no dealer close to me has it in stock. Bought the Pioneer new when DVD-A and SACD were new formats. Bought a lot of DVD-A music and sold most of it at crazy $$. Have since, over the years accumulated a fair assortment of sacd's and thinking of a new player-SA8500.
    I welcome your input.

2. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I bought a Marantz SA8001 several years ago and love it!! It has been a flawless performer and sounds fantastic!!

I believe you would be very pleased with the SA8005!

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The SA8005 will be a major upgrade.

4. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Get the marantz! I picked up an SA8004 from a forum member and love it!

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Don't be so sure the Marantz will be a slam dunk noticeable audio upgrade for redbook or SACD. Pioneer Elite is quite respectable and their older DVD players are known for audio quality.
    I happen to have the Marantz SA8005 as well as an older Pioneer DV-58Av DVD / SACD player. It was 499 retail, yours is 1200 retail and has triple DACs.
    I A/B'd the Pioneer and the Marantz with duplicate CDs and SACDs when I first got the Marantz and let me tell you it's very close! The Marantz won by a hair with a little more clarity and dynamics but the Pioneer had a slightly better tonality.
    The Marantz has other features going for it and is a great CD player but don't be prepared for an over the top sonic upgrade.

SirAngus and Doug_B like this.
  6. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Oppo BDP-105D. I actually went from a Pioneer DV-59AVi to an Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition to the Oppo BDP-105D.

7. SirAngus

Thanks for the input. I'll put the Pioneer in my multi-channel system and the Marantz SA8005, if I buy it, in the same setup with my Rega p5 tt and my Rega Apollo/ Rega dac combo. That brings the Apollo into the mix as to whether I need two cd players.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

still recommended- i kept A/B ing to see if I would keep the marantz or return it. it was still a keeper and i have no regrets

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If you can find a NOS Marantz SA7001-KI you'll be on a winner. I had one for a few years and loved it. You'll get it for a very good price if you do find one, but performance will be well worth hunting one down. Great machine.

10. SirAngus

Have you heard the SA 8500 and if so how do you think it compares with the SA7001-KI? I'd rather not buy a used SACD player unless I know the history.

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

NOS means, in this context, new old stock, so not used gear. Not heard the 8000 series players but owned a fair bit of Marantz gear over the years and they share a certain sound.

12. SirAngus

Didn't catch the acronym but it appears to be N/A in the USA .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.