VAC Phi 200 tube amps in monoblock form.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alonski

Alonski New Member

Hi Steve,

I just reread my post and I can see the confusion. It was this thread that started my quest for mono blocs, and I just wanted to share my excitement.

I had been waiting about six months for another Phi 200 to come up for sale, but nothing showed up. It was frustrating to wait, so I decided to get two of them in black and sell my existing unit. Also, I know it seems like a minor issue, but having the mono blocs match the rest of my system, which is all black, will make me feel good. I enjoy the way my system looks as much as how it sounds.

Alon

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Got it. Well, have fun! I've tried voicing my two with different 6SN7's but have recently gone back to the stock VAC tubes..

3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Heard a pair of the 200's last night at a fellow club members. Very nice, in the top ten I've heard in resent years.

Steve, do you still like these as much as you did in February ?

4. Steve Hoffman

Of course, can't beat the high-power sound for the price.

5. bonzo75

bonzo75 Forum Resident

Hi Steve, what is your feedback on VAC Phi 200/300 vs Tenor Audio for tougher to drive planars, MBL, or Vivid Giyas for orchestral music - I like soundstage, separation of the many instruments, tonality, speed and dynamics. Important to have thick midbass for the lower range of brass instruments

I currently have a Vac 30/30 renaissance on Verity Audios 93db speaker but planning to change speakers. Hence the question.

6. Steve Hoffman

Well, the VAC is $90,000.00 cheaper than the Tenor. Can't really compare the two.

7. bonzo75

bonzo75 Forum Resident

Yes but used price differences are achievable.

8. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I'm wondering if you lack of romantic sound from VAC amps are more to do with tube selection than the circuitry/transformers design of VAC. How much will tube rolling impact the warm/romantic sound or is in inherent in Kevin Hayes' design? Thinking of about a VAC amp but want some warmth to it (though I agree I will give up some accuracy).

9. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Geez! Those VAC is hard to beat. Sylvania (6SN7GT) would be to my liking. Steve, are the stock ones current production China Electron Shuguang red base variety?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.