Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2015-2016 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I thought the opening monologue was pretty hilarious..especially Taran Killam as the lion killing Dentist. So creepy :laugh:

I also really liked Leslie Jones as "Too Late With Ruby Nichols"; prolly my favorite thing she has ever done. The awkward ending was kind of..well..awkward..

Weekend Update struck me as kind of strange since they have missed so much over the Summer in ridiculous.

Otherwise a pretty meh episode.

2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Miley Cyrus was awful in the sketches.

Leslie Jones still not great - but she gets a lot of screen time so someone there disagrees.

The Pope desk bit made little sense.

This was a snooze.

And to the Hillary haters - let me say that NBC has been having ANYONE on in regards to the election. Both Seth Myers and Jimmy Fallon have had tons of politicians that frankly should not be on comedy shows - Ted Cruz, Hillary, Trump, Fiorina, etc. Mr. Broadway video loves to get them on because it's a cynical attention grab - lots of clips on local morning talk shows about "Did you see how (so and so political) was on TV and was just so funny."

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought it was funny.

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I did too. I enjoyed the whole show. I didn't think I would enjoy Miley Cyrus' music, but I liked both songs. Go figure! I thought to myself, "She's not Taylor Swift, but this is good."

I hope this week's show is just as good.

CBC likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, at 54 I doubt I am their demographic. If others liked it they are doing something right! I also liked Miley more than I thought I would.

6. rburly

I haven't liked the show in years. I've posted along the way about how bad it was, then I thought it pointless to continue bashing a bad show. I just gave up posting for the most part. I'm 58, so hardly their demographic, but I thought it was much better written than anything I'd seen in the last several years.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

This episode was better than the vast majority of episodes in the last season and a half. I was really ready to either give up, or start hate watching, but that plan seems temporarily unnecessary.

8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I just hope their music booker gets more imaginative, less pop pop fizz, more interesting musical acts.

Deano6 likes this.
  9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The musical guests are bad more often and not. The show itself is good, the cast is filled with a lot of funny people, they work well together too.

CBC, Deano6 and rburly like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I really like the cast as well. Just wish I enjoyed the writing more.

zebop likes this.
  11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Exactly

12. OldSoul

This episode was really good. The gun bit in Weekend Update was stellar! Michael and Colin really have a great dynamic going.
    Amy was a really good host, I thought. She had her lines memorized better than the cast.

Technical things:
    Cue card spotted in the last sketch!
    Second episode in a row that ran long.

Mister Charlie and CBC like this.
  13. rburly

I had to post this after my enjoyment of the Miley Cyrus show: I fell alseep during the Amy Shumer stand up monologue. it wasn't because I was tired. I watched the rest of it yesterday and wow, was underwhelmed. I hope they can pull it together again.

14. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Thought Amy's monologue was pretty hilarious, The Guns bit was spot on. Bit w/ Amy as the sexed up teacher was a bit thin & long. Weekend Update was strong this week. Weeknd/Miss Minaj was...interesting. Nice hair!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Amy's monologue was pure hilariousness!

In fact the whole show was funny. They are on a roll this season.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Her monologue was great. But, damn, there is no way that monologue would've been allowed to hit the air years ago (George Carlin would've been proud. :)) More and more now, you are starting to see stuff on regular TV networks that are pushing the boundaries, even on primetime shows . The FCC must be getting soft. LOL

davenav likes this.
  17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

An episode in which the host says thanks and good night is not "long".

Anyway, as I have said before, while it not all works lots to like about SNL since the start of last season. Kyle Mooney is the best. But, Colin Jost and Michael Che able to cleverly work through Weekend Update might be the most pleasant surprise of it all.

davenav and Jrr like this.
  18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I liked last nights episode. The obnoxious friend at the baby shower went a little too long though. The new guy was barely in it.

Jrr likes this.
  19. OldSoul

I consider an episode that can't even show Lorne's producer credit to be long. That's usually the one credit you definitely see.

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I know what you mean but I have seen some episodes that cut off before the host can even end the show. I don't think they mind if credits do not run every week. Every once in awhile an episode ends short and we get to learn who the janitor on the 33rd floor is.

I never understood why the show can't simply be long to begin with. No local station has anything worth seeing at 1:02 a.m. on Saturday night anyway.

chacha likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I guess that makes my point about last week, a show I just didn't like at all. This one made me laugh a bunch of times....I really enjoyed almost all of it. But you didn't. They have a tough job to say the least. And I was glad Lorne read my post mentioning my disappointment over Vanessa not being used hardly at all last week. He made sure she was in almost every skit Saturday. Glad he reads our comments and cares!

Are you guys having tech issues with the audio? Last week mics were cutting off and Miley's vocals were so dremched with reverb I literally couldn't hear the lyrics or tell if I even liked the songs. This week the sound was okay for the skits, but once again the verb was full blast on the music numbers and I couldn't understand anything. Also...what is up with the announcer's voice being almost non existent in the mix? I thought it was a tech issue before, but this last show he might as well have not been used. That must be a creative decision, but I don't understand that at all.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I'm pretty shocked Colin and Michael pulled this off. I never thought that was gonna work...they were incredibly painful last season until near the end. I missed the last few minutes of the episode because my dvr stopped recording, and I was enjoying the last sketch...wish they wouldn't go over!

23. OldSoul

I think Vanessa was in all the sketches because she and Amy are friends.

That announcer's name happens to be Darrell Hammond, by the way. ;) Should sound familiar.

24. rburly

I did notice last week that they seemed to go to backup audio during her second song. Other than that, I didn't notice any problems last week. This week, the sound was strange. The vocals were down in the mix, so I had no idea what was being sung. The sound during the songs was way off for me. I have a feeling they wanted the sound that way, but it was a bad sound to me.

I suppose different senses of humor for different people. I laughed last week more than I had in years for an SNL show. I didn't have a chuckle during this week's show.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup...in our market my dvr stopped two minutes over and they were still doing the last sketch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.