The Genius of Paddy McAloon/Prefab Sprout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bradmchl, May 14, 2007.

1. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

It really is...

2. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Be aware that on the original, there's a guitar chord at the end of the final track that is missing on the remaster.

Purple Jim likes this.
  3. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Bump. I've only gotten into Prefab Sprout the last 6-7 years and I'm glad to see there are many others who recognize the genius that is Paddy McAloon. I too would highly recommend the remastered Steve Mcqueen. The second disc of Paddy reworking some of the tracks acoustically is just a stunner. Hopefully there are more Paddy/Prefab releases in our future. Would love to have Paddy's solo cd but it is a bit pricey...thanks for this thread...

4. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Can you share the catalog number of this 5 CD collection? Thanks.

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Oh man, was hoping this got bumped for a new album! ;)

Mlle. Aurora, red corner and Romerovm like this.
  6. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

If we could be so lucky!

Mlle. Aurora and ad180 like this.
  7. Mike66

Mike66 Active Member

Thanks for bumping the thread, though...reading it has reminded me of the gems I have sitting on my CD shelves and persuaded me that I need to add the two latest releases to them.

Romerovm and ad180 like this.
  8. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Same here. I just ordered Crimson Red. :agree:

Mike66 likes this.
  9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Sorry, I should have said the 5 x cd's were NOT an official release etc....just a fan made compilation (damn good though).

Romerovm likes this.
  10. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

No problem, thanks. Any links with pictures and titles?

11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I wish!

Romerovm likes this.
  12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I'm in the process of moving at the moment so I've boxed up a ton of cds,amongst which are Prefab Sprout. When I finally move and unbox I will dig them out and try and work out what's on them. You're welcome to have copies.

Romerovm likes this.
  13. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Sure! That would be awesome, thanks!

14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Not a problem,may be a little while though. Keep reminding me as I sometimes have a memory like a sieve. You can figure out the tracks for me!

Romerovm likes this.
  15. bisonrav

bisonrav Well-Known Member

There's a much newer photo of Paddy - quite a surprising one - with the same lucky person here http://www.sproutology.co.uk/sproutbait/paddy-spotting/ - also an absolute shedload of audio, including some unreleased gems (Igor Stravinsky - you're not what you thinksi, one of the best ever McAloon lines). Sproutology is THE PREMIER obsessive fan fan obsession site.

16. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Here's a bit of news I haven't read on this forum yet:

Rod Stewart speaks exclusively ahead of Shrewsbury show « Shropshire Star

The article is dated April 16, 2017. Apparently Rod Stewart is working with Mr. McAloon. The relevant quote is:

He’s been working with the elusive Paddy McAloon, the Prefab Sprout singer, and fans can expect to hear the fruits of their labours in the not too distant future. “I’m a big old Prefab Sprout fan. Paddy’s just written a song for me, Who Invented The Snowflake?”

ippudo, willy and hutlock like this.
  17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Um. Wut?!

18. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I did not see that coming

19. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Wow, now this sounds interesting...:goodie:

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I did, because I read Sproutology

:)

21. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Rod has mentioned being a fan of Prefab Sprout more than once over the years and I read ages ago that Paddy had written aload of songs with Rod in mind but not passed them on...

22. James C. B.

James C. B. Member

Paddy McAloon is one of my favorite songwriters, and I'm happy to own Steve McQueen, From Langley Park to Memphis, and Jordan: The Comeback. In a way, I do view Paddy as the British equivalent of Bacharach, Webb, and maybe even Antonio Carlos Jobim. I always thought Paddy was a big Americophile, so it's a shame Prefab Sprout never toured the U.S. On a side note, Thomas Dolby was definitely the fifth member of the band as his production really gave those songs a boost. Wendy Smith deserves more credit for her backing vocals, too.

Jordan is Prefab Sprout's SMiLE, easily my favorite. That little medley in the middle ("The Ice Maiden," "Paris Smith," etc) makes my heart melt.

willy and stem like this.
  23. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Icelandic band SYKUR covers Prefab Sprout on Icelandic National Radio:

smilin ed and thematinggame like this.
  24. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

The Rod Stewart recording of McAloons Who designed the snowflake? will appear on the deluxe edition of Rod's forthcoming album Blood Red Roses...looking foward to hearing it.

25. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

really great version but it took me a while to realize they are singing in English

Binni likes this.