Netflix newbie--what should I watch?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jkauff, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I too am exceptionally particular, about my television watching, at least--for example, I disliked the nearly universally-loved breaking bad's typically cardboard 'television writing,' telegraphed plotlines, and stiff acting (except for the excellent Brian Cranston).

that said, I love mad men, and all but the second half of the last season are presently available on netflix streaming. house of cards' first season is similarly great and exclusive to netflix, though I find the quality drops off somewhat during its following two seasons.

there's a ton of stuff streaming on netflix apart from television series, though. if you enjoy documentaries, there are literally hundreds.

2. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

+1 on Longmire, sort of a western police procedural set in modern day Wyoming. Season 4 was just recently released and is a Netflix original as A&E dropped it after season 3.

MikeInFla, fitzysbuna and no9 like this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Use the "Browse" tab online, then browse through the various genres. As you see things that might interest you, add them to your playlist. It's the best way to get full benefit of their library.

drasil likes this.
  4. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

In my opinion, Breaking Bad, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black alone justify the small cost of the service.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  5. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you so much! This is an excellent search engine. Within 30 seconds browsing I found a Nina Simone documentary I didn't even know existed.

Guess the Gorts can close this thread now. :laugh:

mdm08033, johnaltman and progrocker71 like this.
  6. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Agreed! We got Netflix earlier in the year and I've been slowly savoring the series, one or two episodes a week (the exact opposite of binge-watching!) It's addictive (heh - unintentional!)

I had a similar reaction as the OP when I used trials in the past. But now that I'm sharing it with my parents, I've spent more time with Netflix and while I don't find the movie selection all that great, there are lots of documentary films and TV series, which is what I watch the most. You do have to do some digging to get past the popular (fiction) TV series, but it's there. The more you watch, and rate, the better Netflix is at recommending stuff that might be in your ballpark. At $8 a month, I don't find too much to complain about.

7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Try "The Fall" with Jillian Anderson!

chumlie and rogertheshrubber like this.
  8. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Bloodlines-one of the best shows I've seen in years. Frankie and Grace is also good as well as Daredevil. The documentaries are usually excellent.

budwhite likes this.
  9. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I just finished season 2 of The Killing. It is very well done.

10. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix during the last season on AMC. I was hooked after two episodes. I started Mad Men this year; it took about 6 episodes to hook me, but it did.

11. no9

no9 Member

:-popcorn: LONGMIRE Interesting characters...with familar actors in quest appearances.

Scope J likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In fact, season three has been greenlit. Here's a teaser:

13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Judging by your age, you may be a Beatles fan. If so, you need to watch the
    doc "Good Ol Freda". Freda was the groups secretary for the entire time they were together,
    and it's one of the best docs on the group I've ever seen. I just checked, and it's still on Netflix.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Longmire
    Shameless
    Doctor Who
    Gotham

15. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Longmire and Daredevil are excellent shows. the killing is also good to watch.

17. clayton

clayton Senior Member

The United States of America VS Whitey Bulger, excellent documentary. Breaking Bad is highly addictive

18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I love British TV productions. Luther, Happy Valley, Responsible Adult, The Fall, Scott and Bailey, and Broadchurch are all really good.

19. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

Great suggestion! I remember reading about this when it first came out, but I'd forgotten all about it.

20. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

"Sherlock" is another show I've enjoyed. Sherlock Holmes set in modern day London. Starring the greatest named actor out there, Benedict Cumberbatch.

21. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

New Girl

[​IMG]

22. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Bloodline, but how about tell us what you like.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  23. chodad

chodad Hodad

very compelling

[​IMG]

24. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

The Killing was fantastic I've finished all the seasons, and have to say that after watching the final episode I was really deflated. Not that it didn't live up to the previous seasons, just that there was no more to watch!

Enjoy the rest of it!!

25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

drasil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.