What to consider when purchasing a TT in the UK that will also be usable in the USA?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rebeljeff, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebeljeff

rebeljeff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, Ive recently relocated to the UK and will be here for a few years before returning to the States. I sold my TT before moving and am in the market for a new one. I am pretty ignorant about the voltage/frequency difference and what it means when it comes to a turntable. Im looking to buy one that I can enjoy now here but will also function properly when I return home. What do I need to know and consider? Thanks in advance.

2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The Michell's have a DC motor so I would think they would be my first candidate. Actually I am biased since I'm lusting for one anyway!

I am thinking that most of the AC driven units have different pulleys for 50 and 60 hz.

3. rebeljeff

Ok so any TT with a DC motor should be fine as the 50/60 hz thing between countries shouldn't be an issue, is that correct? And any synchronous AC motor will require some change of pulley system?

4. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Correct, for AC - my daughter married an American & moved to the USA. She took a UK Pro-Ject turntable with her. Apart from a voltage wall-adaptor it needed a new pulley. I purchased a 60hz one from Henley Designs UK and her husband fitted it. Works perfectly.

5. peter skinner

peter skinner New Member

First, welcome to the UK. I hope you have a really good time here, despite the weather. There are a lot of audio fans here, but most of them are pretty broke given the long recession. Britain is a less wealthy nation than the USA anyway. Which gets reflected in the type of equipment people buy. A number of UK manufacturers offer decks which are switchable for use in a variety of countries. I'd suggest you decide what deck you might fancy, and then explore how suitable it would be when you return home.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I believe you can also get around the issue if the t/t can use an external power supply that's rated for both 50 & 60hz as most should be.

My advice...find the turntable you like and then check if you can deal with the 50/60hz situation easily. If not move on to the next one until you get the balance you need.
    Edit: Like peter skinner said :)

7. rebeljeff

Im leaning towards the Clearaudio Concept. I've only heard good things and it meets my budget, and having a DC motor I believe I should be golden both here and when I return back home to the States. Thanks for the help!

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Just couldn't convince her that our AC was good enough? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.