Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodger79

lodger79 Member

I wonder if anybody who got this set also owns the Queen Forever vinyl set that came out a few months ago and compare SQ? I know that both were sourced from the same 2011 remasters but perhaps were cut differently or maybe they soumd the same?

TyphoonTip and mr.dave like this.
  2. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I can do that.

lodger79 likes this.
  3. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

Sorry about the multiple posts. I have no idea what happened there!

jon9091 likes this.
  4. raye_penber

raye_penber .

I almost didn't buy any of these 2015 remasters based on the reviews here, but I took a risk and bought several of the separate black pressings, and I'm glad I did. Details of inferior audio quality have been widely exaggerated. I bought the following albums:

Day At The Races
    Innuendo
    Jazz
    Made In Heaven

So far, I've only played the first two, using both a Rega RP8 with an Exact cart, and a Project Debut Carbon Esprit with an Ortofon 2M Blue. Both have acrylic platters and are running through a Cambridge 651A and a good pair of Wharfedale speakers.

Both Day At The Races and Innuendo sound fantastic, which was surprising, because I really was expecting the worst with Innuendo. It's flat, clean, and noise free. The volume level doesn't need a huge adjustment, and the sonics are better than any pressing I've heard so far (including the original UK pressings). Vocals are sublime, guitars have incredible bits, and drums and bass are rich and thick, though maybe a touch towards the bright side on the cymbals, but that's a minor quibble.

I'll epilogue this post by saying that I'm incredibly picky when it comes to how my records sound. I won't play anything in less than EX condition, and I hate flat and lifeless remasters like Van Halen's recent 1984 and the entire run of Iron Maiden reissues. So needless to say I was really surprised and quite elated with the Queen reissues. If you've got even a moderately good set up, vintage or new, these will sound good.

DPC, JWew, Davidmk5 and 4 others like this.
  5. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

You bought the same titles as me (minus Jazz) - i was impressed by A Day At The Races. I unfortunately received a faulty noisy copy of Innuendo so I couldn't do a proper assessment if i liked it or not as i was p****d off with it, luckily a replacement is on its way (hopefully arrived tomorrow) so i can enjoy it a bit more.

Made in Heaven does sound beautiful - in fact better than the 2011 cd - i played the the whole of quiet instrumental "13" (Side D) and there was not one pop or click throughout its entire 23 minutes.

Got Jazz, Queen, & Sheer Heart Attack on way also - i can't wait to receive them. It like hearing the albums fresh again.

fuhrsy31 and raye_penber like this.
  6. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Though I should probably point out that these are the European black vinyl 2015 pressings, made in Germany.

EDIT: my first post should read that 'guitars have incredible bite'.

7. AdamWW

AdamWW Active Member

Thanks everyone for a great discussion. I have been reading this interesting thread for a while now. I've never had any Queen on vinyl before so thought this would be the perfect opportunity. (I used to borrow ANATO from a neighbour when I was young. I absolutely loved it.) Yet I have procrastinated for ages but finally ordered it yesterday through Amazon UK. For delivery to Australia it's, like always, the most inexpensive way to go -$AUS525. Otherwise it would've been $800 from our main music supplier, JB Hi-Fi. I cannot wait to see it!
    Thanks again people.

TyphoonTip likes this.
  8. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Forum Resident

My understanding is that ALL of the 2015 pressings are made in Germany; Optimal specifically, and that you can only get the coloured via the box. The only difference between US and EU, should there be any, is labelling on the package; much the same as the Beatles in Mono...

9. raye_penber

raye_penber .

That's interesting, I'd assumed that the US got its own pressing given the mostly negative reviews. As for the coloured vinyls, you can get them seperately on eBay, unopened, along with the book from the box set, as various sellers have split the sets and are selling the individual contents - so if anyone wants them: to eBay!

10. Phaneronic

I suppose, though strangely my impression of the reviews were largely positive. As for eBay, I guess it was inevitable, but I don't think I approveā€¦

11. raye_penber

raye_penber .

It's just a way for people to get the albums they want on coloured vinyl, if they so desire it.

12. TyphoonTip

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the EU and US box is the outer sleeve on the box itself.

All the LPs (sleeves included) just have reference to Virgin and Germany & the actual gold box has no mention of anything I can see.

Oh, and possibly (unconfirmed) the US box may not include a download card. Which I'm extraordinarily unhappy about. ...and will not let go until rectified.

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Why the hell would the US get no DL card? Some exclusive deal with iTunes or something?

TyphoonTip likes this.
  14. TyphoonTip

Who knows? That sounds as plausible as any possibility.
    But really, it's kind of irrelevant. As there has been literally no mention of it anywhere official. Not even with sellers in Nth America.
    All we have (that is EVERYONE) is this confirmation from QPL prior to release:

"All box sets contain download codes for high quality digital versions. 320 kbps MP3s" (http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-archive/press-release/)

AS per usual, QPL stay totally silent, despite repeated requests to clarify the situation.

Look, I'm very grateful that my box/LPs seem in A1 condition, but seriously I don't think it's an unfair request for one to get what they paid for ...in its entirety. Particularly when what you paid is a FREAKIN' LOT OF $!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  15. TyphoonTip

Can we have a show of hands of those with the US box, as to whether you have the download card or not?

16. TyphoonTip

So Amazon Canada have just confirmed to me that the US version doesn't include the DL card.
    Not happy.
    Nothing was mentioned. To the contrary QPL totally set up the expectation that this was as much part of the box as the LPs themselves.
    This is typical QPL. ....and of course no official response or explanation.

Sondek likes this.
  17. BRacoon

BRacoon New Member

I did not get a download code.

TyphoonTip likes this.
  18. Phaneronic

...And thus I'm glad I like making needle drops; as i often do when the download code is MP3 specific anyways...

Maidenpriest likes this.
  19. Phaneronic

I know, and I guess I'm fine with it from that point of view, just smells of flipperism...

20. TyphoonTip

As am I. But it's kind of irrelevant to the point I'm making. Basically I want what was advertised and what I paid for.

Sondek and Phaneronic like this.
  21. Scotbot

Scotbot Forum Resident

I didn't get download codes.

TyphoonTip likes this.
  22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Got my box yesterday, haven't yet listened but going to do some listening on the next few days.

23. TyphoonTip

This may interest some....

A friend picked up Queen & Queen II individually. He brought them over, and we did a bit of a comparison run with my box versions. Blind testing and everything!!

Well, we consistently could not tell the difference between the boxed (coloured) LPs and their black individual counterparts. The EQ on both was unmistakably identical, and at least to our ears there was no discernible difference in signal gain either.

Now my experience with coloured vinyl, is that it generally has a bit more surface noise. Well, at least with this comparison, both were as noise free as each other. If anything, 'Side White' of the black vinyl had the most surface noise. ...but even that was pretty negligible. Oh, and all discs were cleaned prior to the test.

Not particularly scientific and far from conclusive (and maybe could have been different with other albums), but it has nonetheless given me confidence that I haven't compromised sound for vanity.

Maybe there is something to this custom produced "new material technology" they mentioned in the initial press release after all.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  24. raye_penber

raye_penber .

What were you listening on/through?

Sondek likes this.
  25. TyphoonTip

My hodge podge (currently in a state of flux) setup.
    Technics 1200MK2 (re-wired arm)
    Switching between shure m97xe (with JICO SAS) & Audio Technica AT-OC9 MKIII ....my preference is always the shire/JICO combo (hides)
    Luxman L510
    Tannoy Revolution XT 6F Speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.