Oh no! Line Magnetic is on the cover of Stereophile!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rolltide, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

2. james

james Summon The Queen

I bought the amp to serve my Snell J's. I just have the KEF'a hooked up for fun right now.

3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Folks in the Portland area can hear this beast this weekend at the PDX HiFi open house. Rafe's been there and knows. These fella's love music and understand how to get to the heart of it.

[​IMG]

http://pdxhifi.com/

Bubbamike, ThorensSme and Rolltide like this.
  4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident Thread Starter

That looks like a lot of fun. I could listen to O/96's driven by Lebens all day long.

SandAndGlass, Art K and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. Art K

They will also be featuring the 518...good stuff!

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

About two years ago I asked a Beijing dealer what they cost and all I can remember is :yikes:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I just looked at his webpage...oh my, this is a dangerous place for me to go. This looks like the best shop in the state by a mile.

8. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Orange is apparently the new (audiophile) black. I like it.

9. Rolltide

Naw dude, you got this.

Just stay out of that Shindo room. That's where the problems start.

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Open two days a week and by appointment only. Never a good sign for a value shopper like me. I've got an amp budget of about 5K hopefully I can get in there and get something done.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Art K

Make an appointment...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

always good advice

13. Rolltide

I used to be turned off by the idea of making appointments at audio shops. I took it as a sign they were snobby and pretentious and only catered to big spenders. Turns out a lot of guys just don't want to sit around all day just in case today is the day somebody wanders off the street to sample esoteric tube amps, and want to make sure the people who do have their full attention.

SandAndGlass, Shiver and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

My problem is that I'm just not that organized. That level of planning is a good idea. Most shops have three guys on hand: the owner, the sales guy and the installer. If there are two customers in there at the same time and the phone rings, it can get weird. If I am driving two hours to check stuff out I love the idea of having an appointment when they are not open to walk ins.

15. Art K

That's exactly the idea. That way you get the full attention of the staff and can take your time in the audition. I also like what PDX HiFi has done. An occasional open house to introduce themselves and their product lines. Just seems like good business to me.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

If your leg brushed up on that. You would definitely receive third degree burns.

17. Rolltide

I think I was put off by the concept for years because the first time I went to an "appointment only" place I wasn't aware of the fact, walked in, and was told to leave. Not "Apologies, but I have an appointment with another customer coming up - could we schedule another time where I could give you my full attention?", just kind of "kick rocks". I guess I developed a negative association with the concept based on this.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I am never surprised by stories of arrogance and insult from the audio store

SandAndGlass and Rolltide like this.
  19. Art K

I totally get it. I felt the same way. It's all in how the dealer approaches it.

Rolltide likes this.
  20. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I like setting appointment times so that I can dedicate my full attention to the customer that's here (versus switching back and forth b/t multiple folks).

SandAndGlass, Rolltide and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. james

james Summon The Queen

There's a 210ia on Audiogon this morning for what seems to be a very low price. Assumed it was 220v at that price, but it appears to be 120. who's gonna grab it?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

Dennis 0675...Don Better is my Shindo dealer and a person you can trust; he's easy to talk to and extremely helpful. I've never been to his shop (one day I'll get there),but have purchased several Shindo units from him, both new and pre-owned. Once a unit arrives at my house it won't leave.

Your budget is close to allowing for a pre-owned Shindo Aureiges preamp and perhaps a pre-owned Montille amp.....ask Don as he gets units on trade up all the time.

If I were you I'd consider the preamp first, then, later on, an amp.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. Rolltide

I've found the Auriges/Montille combo to be pretty common on the used market as well. I'll be tempted one day, but it might be hard to fight off my affection for integrateds.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. james

james Summon The Queen

I was thinking of the 219, but regardless...if 8 watts will do you...heads up

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is my concern. Going from 200 solid state to 8 feels risky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.