Achieving a State of Audio Bliss

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Raylinds, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I have made several posts already about my recent audio system updates (And the system is in my profile), so I won't go into the details here, but I think I have finally ended the upgrade spiral and have achieved a setup that makes me extremely happy. As a result, I can't stop spinning records. My girlfriend and I have been spending hours and hours listening to music. Yesterday we spent a wonderful lazy Sunday listening to classical music and I have to say the dynamics of my new system just put a big smile on my face (I did manage to watch the Giants win, but I did not watch nearly as much football as I normally would). I've also been buying a lot of new LPs- I have some of the Queen reissues on order.

The music is just so much more engaging and provides a more emotional experience. Tender ballads bring me to the brink of tears and I can't keep my feet still when an up-tempo song is playing. I am taking next week off and plan to have many long listening sessions.

I enjoyed jazz vocals and acoustic music on my previous system very much, but it left something to be desired for heavier rock music and classical. I couldn't believe that the sound of jazz, vocals, and acoustic music could get better, but it did, and the difference with classical and rock is just astounding. Much more bass, and weight to the sound and improved dynamics.

I'm not saying that music cannot be an extremely enjoyable experience on a Lo Fi system, but this just takes it up a notch. It's like going to see a concert in a good acoustic space with a good sound system vs. a lousy sound system in a poor acoustic environment.

I don't see the need to do any more upgrading on the analog side of my system, but may consider rolling tubes and upgrading cables early next year. I also want to do some room treatments.

Please share your upgrade experiences.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm glad you're enjoying your system, but this has me a little concerned. If you need to talk I'm here to listen.

KeninDC, russk, Raylinds and 2 others like this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

That's what it's all about!

Raylinds likes this.
  4. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Eventually, may be years, you will listen to/hear some other gear somewhere (friend's house, audio showroom, whatever) and will have to scratch the itch again. :D

Raylinds likes this.
  5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Raylinds likes this.
  6. mojomojo

mojomojo Active Member

"My girlfriend and I have been spending hours and hours listening to music."

Brings back memories lovemaking to an 8 track Doobie Bros tape on repeat for hours and hours.
    Manual LP record players are not conducive to sex.

7. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Buy more vinyl and enjoy mate !

Raylinds likes this.
  8. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Such a timely post! Just this past weekend I had one of those special listening sessions where you sit back and think, "Holy Crap, is this MY system?" I recently added a VPI 3D printed arm and a Miyajima Shilabe cartridge to my VPI Classic III. The cartridge has enough hours on it now that it's beginning to show it's true personality and I recently paid someone to come verify it's set up. For one thing they used a Fozgometer and I can tell you for certain that I would NOT have gotten Azimuth right without doing that. Last week I took delivery of the 45rpm recent remaster of Muddy Waters "The Folk Singer", so Sunday morning I settled in for a listen. Holy Mother of God! I had a religious experience! I even called for my wife to come hear it! DEEP and WIDE sound stage, holographic, booming voice of the Master of The Blues, the crisp amazing clarity piercing through like bolts of lightning from a solid DEEP BLACK background and bottomless noise floor. I'm pretty sure that's the newly declared finest sounding title in my collection.

So I can certainly share in the joy you describe about your system. I will say this though, having done room treatments a few upgrades back, if you haven't already done them my prediction is that if you do them correctly that the improvements will not be subtle. I predict that you will say, "Why didn't I do that a long time ago?"

Raylinds likes this.
  9. Raylinds

In the future I will have football on with the sound off and have music playing while I watch.

timw and timztunz like this.
  10. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

To achieve real efficiency we must learn to multitask! :righton:

11. Mike66

Mike66 Active Member

I've upgraded, sideways-graded, and sometimes downgraded. But pretty much always upgraded again, so far.

I've been doing this over 30 years already, and alongside the more prosaic pieces of knowledge I've picked up is one basic fact about upgrading which it shares with what is probably most people's very favourite activity. I'm talking about the fundamental importance of psychology, and the ease with which it is possible when we are young to underestimate its significance.

I truly think that psychological factors play as significant role when we engage in assessment of the sound of our hi-fi upgrades as they do when we have sex.

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I know what you mean. Landing a pair of Acoustic Energy actives was the biggest jump in audio I've made bar none. It's a great feeling.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

My goal is to get off the "audiophile" bus altogether.

Currently my feet are on the doorstep, with my Naim/Larsen rig. But: if some disaster were to rob me of that (rather excellent) setup, I would probably spend a lot less to replace it.

Alongside all the hifi gear listening/purchasing I've done over the last dozen years or so, I've developed my music listening chops, too. I could probably be happy with (say) well-chosen (and carefully set up) rig like entry-level Yamaha or Marantz CD deck/amp, and those new ELAC monitors. Cost: about 10-20% of my existing system.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    krisbee and Raylinds like this.
  14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Which, I should hasten to add, is in no way critical of Raylinds' achievement with his Audio Note system build ... I bet it sounds great!

Raylinds and Brother_Rael like this.
  15. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Bliss, and certainly audio bliss, is a state of mind. Like all things, it will pass... You will then be at the crossroads, going to hear a friends new high-end kit, going to an audio fest/event, stopping by a local dealers showroom, reading a review, is all it takes to trap you once again in audiophile hell. You then have a choice, to opt to rebliss yourself into that perfectly splendid audio cocoon you have so carefully and artfully woven, or... (well we all know the alternative far too well).

Enjoy happy listening while it lasts!

Rolltide likes this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I keep telling myself there's a point where this stops happening. I won't know until I get there, but I'd really like to believe I'll be able to stop buying stuff one day.

17. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Me too. I've come a long way and am very close to being solidly content. That said, I respect the devilish nature of possibly wanting (again) to have just a bit more out of whatever one already has... it can detract from the very reason why most of us got into this hobby in the first place, and it can defeat the point of the whole thing.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yep, that's it all right. Its very hard to explain to the "normals" why people who already have incredible sounding audio systems keep pushing for better and better. I usually lament the fact that my room mostly dictates what kind of speakers as I own, but sometimes I appreciate the fact that it keeps the ceiling kind of low (literally, in the case of my room!) and prevents me from going for-reals crazy.

goldwax and VinylRob like this.
  19. Raylinds

Alas, all too true. Sigh.

20. Raylinds

True. I was happy with my previous system and was not really expecting much of a change with this upgrade, but was shocked at the difference. Not that much of a difference with jazz and acoustic instruments, but with rock and classical it is really profound. Even my non-audiophile friends have noticed (although some of them may be just saying so- who knows).

21. Raylinds

That's great if you can be satisfied with less. I certainly wouldn't want to reinvest in my current system if disaster robbed me of it. Heck a lot of the stuff was purchased used at deep discounts, so it would be probably impossible for me to afford to recreate it exactly. I would probably end up going used vintage.

bhazen likes this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm at the age now, where I'm scrambling to put all the cash I can into the (rather inadequate) pension fund. $10k(ish) for a hifi will never again be on the agenda for me ... I look in the mirror, and say to myself: "It's all about the Music." And repeat over & over ...

(About half my rig was bought used.)

23. Raylinds

Yeah I turned 58 yesterday so retirement savings is a huge deal for me too, so I get that. I refuse to let material possessions (or lack of them) affect me too much. I always enjoy life and while I cherish my listening sessions with the new rig, I would find a way to be satisfied with less.

24. It sounds to me as if you set a reasonable goal and worked to attain said goal.
    I find those who get the upgrade virus often fall into a critical, mechanical sort of listening zone and stop enjoying the music while searching for "perfection.
    You are in a good place if you fully enjoy your system and are now greatly enjoying your music.

Raylinds likes this.
  25. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Agree with you Raylinds about the audiophile bus, etc. Audio Note is a sure fire way to reach the bliss IMHO. Wish you the best. Happy Listening!

and I spotted that you just, like me in another week, had your 58th... Happy Happy friend.

David Cope, Raylinds and bhazen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.