Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Fun to hear Dylan singing the line "If You Go Down to Houston" almost a half century before Together Through Life. Is the phrase taken from some old blues or folk song? (And yes, I realize it's worded a bit differently here.)

Jason Tenney likes this.
  2. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Oops, make that 2011. Still, if it's a competition, I think I win.

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Midnight Special" ... more or less.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yes! Thank you!

RayS likes this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Not so fast ...

If I become a Dylan 'fan' I'll date that to Another Self-Portrait (2013)

DmitriKaramazov and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I remember well. We're glad to have you.

Sordel likes this.
  7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Should be noted that Bob even salutes him in what I assume is an improvised lyric.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  8. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Agreed, his playing on that 2nd disc is some of my favourite guitar work of all time.

9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Luxury. We used to dream of having a browser...

10. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

11. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

Or "Deep Ellem Blues" perhaps? (I can't seem to listen either)

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's presented thru Vevo. Could you guys have a security setting turned on that disables their content?

13. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

I'm pretty sure I've listened to Vevo stuff before - I'm at work, so it's possible they've blocked it, but I couldn't get it at home this morning, either

If I actually click through to the Vevo site I get:

and if I click through to the Dylan Vevo channel, "Barbed wire" isn't listed...?!??

14. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

I have to agree.. it sounds more exciting

mr. scratchy esq and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

BIABH is a more restrained album than Highway 61, but still great... On BIABH, the musicians thought they were going to be accompanying a folk singer; and Dylan went into the sessions unsure of how much of it he would do with a band. Bruce Langhorne plays beautiful guitar, but he wasn't going to rock like Mike Bloomfield. (Comparing the album & Newport versions of Maggie's Farm illustrates the difference!) But at the time, BIABH still blew a lot of people's minds, and I think he won more new rock fans than he lost old folkie fans. And in the context of rock music, Dylan didn't have any "folk-rock" template to draw from in January 1965 (I think he liked John Hammond's work with a band, and producer Tom Wilson was struck by the Animals) - and rock music in general wasn't that heavy yet: it was a world where, say, Ticket to Ride & Satisfaction did not exist yet. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band with Bloomfield didn't record their first album until after Highway 61!

jgrillo, GetRhythm, notesfrom and 2 others like this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Huh. All I can say is it's working fine thru my iPad (not the most hi-fi way to listen, but it gets the job done). I just checked again, and it's still working for me.

17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Sounds great. Listening via Chrome.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The first one now will later be last

glewes and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. RayS

I tried the Vevo app on my Roku. The newest Dylan video on there is the "BIABH" album cover video.

Oh well, I can wait a month. I'm an adult. Yeah, sure, that's the ticket.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

If I can mention That Group here, your predicament reminds me of a bit at the end of the Think For Yourself session:

Martin: "You want to hear your words then?"
    George: "No."
    John: "No, God. .We have never heard them once, you fool"
    "No wonder we've been getting it wrong."
    Martin: "I'm hearing them up here."
    John: "Wonderful for you."
    Martin: "Very lovely."

zobalob, DmitriKaramazov and RayS like this.
  21. RayS

Come to think of it, I never much cared for Tom Wilson's ties either.

22. highway

highway Forum Resident

There's a hint of love for Gates of Eden expressed in your dislike for it. Maybe it's all relative and you like it (just less than other Dylan songs).

Thanks for helping me to understand it - I've been trying to figure it out lyrically.

Musically it's very beautiful to me.

23. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I agree "Sitting on a Barbed-Wire Fence" is a bit of a minor song. It would have fit nicely onto Highway 61 Revisited, but it would have been the weak link--and From a Buick 6 isnt a weak song how dare you suggest such a thing. Anyway, Bob does pretty much sum up the song in the song when he says, "you might think this song is just a riff". That's pretty much what it is, Bob. I will say, though, there is a certain passion to the performance for the version they just released that I really like. It seems like there's a few mistakes in places (Bob coming in at the wrong times), and maybe they just figured this wasn't going to be the final take and just decided to have fun with it. As @DeeThomaz mentioned, it does seem like there's a bit of lyric improvisation going on, and I wonder if that goes beyond just referencing Mike Bloomfield. There certainly has been some major re-writing going on from this version to the released version (not necessarily for the better, is my current opinion), and it seems like Bob liked some of what he had and spread it out to some of his other songs (the part about his doctor and "make a mess out of you" both going to "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues").

I am happy we're getting more preview tracks (two versions of "It Takes a Lot to Laugh"? I'm not complaining, it's one of my favorites, but still seems weird)... something's gotta get me through this waiting period. As an aside, if anyone's having trouble listening to them, I theoretically have saved the new preview tracks. So, in theory, if you're having trouble listening to them or just want to have these recordings to theoretically listen to, you should theoretically be able to theoretically ask me about them. In theory, a lot of us already own this stuff because we actually paid for them already. That's all just a theory, of course.

24. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Damn you, Sordel.
    [​IMG]

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Dylan's original lyric, on the manuscript at Sotheby's auction, was:

"The last one now shall later be first"

Dylan crossed out the words and put a double arrow to make the switch.

It was one of his better edits.