ebay experiences 2013?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TonyACT, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Made over 50 buys on Ebay this year and other than the guy who decided to hide the smoke or mold smell in his old records by febreezing them to death everything went smoothly. I had a rougher time with UK sellers on Discogs who send LPs internationally in those thin cardboard envelopes that must be common in the UK. Which only encourage postal workers to bend or fold them.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I got The Cars Deluxe Edition for $10.00
    Living In A Box Japan pressed $10.00 with previously
    unknown bonus track?

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I agree - most of my discogs purchases have been from German sellers - the USD-Euro exchange rate is just so much better than the USD-British Pound rate, and that makes all the difference.

As for my eBay purchases, my favorite was a NM original Reprise CD of Hendrix's Are You Experienced, for less than $7 shipped. I also got a few other nice items. I had only one poor experience with a CD in worse condition than described, but it was less than $3.50 shipped and based on the description I knew I was taking a calculated risk.

All in all, quite happy with both eBay and discogs this year.

4. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Mostly within the OK range for buying and selling this year.

That is except for the Global Shipping Program which costs more for no benefit. The postage to Oz is already high enough so I refuse to buy from anyone using that 'program'.

TonyACT likes this.
  5. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

I did okay I think. The bulk of my CD purchases are through eBay and most were described accurately. I had more issues with Discogs and Amazon Marketplace sellers this year.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just sold a cd for $8.99 ,
    and was hit with a $2.13
    charge WTF ?

:realmad:

7. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in! Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies all - I finally have access to this forum :)

Some interesting stories - and I appreciate the input to give my experiences some perspective. Best of luck with your 2014 purchases!!

8. TonyACT

Yes - I sometimes see CDs for $3 from a US seller who wants to charge me $25 for postage - umm, I don't think so :)

9. The Snodger

The Snodger Forum Resident

Interesting that you would blame the seller and not the postal worker....

10. TonyACT

Well - if it didn't have 'fragile' or 'do not bend' on it ...

Then again, I have seen postal workers feverishly bending packages that DO have that written on them, so some days you just can't win.

11. The Snodger

I order a lot of vinyl through the mail, maybe 1 in 10 has "fragile" or something similar written on it. The only two times I have recieved a damaged parcel, they both had "FRAGILE - do not bend" written on them.

None of my knives have "DO NOT PLUNGE INTO YOUR ARM" written on them either; funnily enough I haven't stabbed myself yet.

I'd be having a go at your idiotic mail guy (who you should have raised a complaint against), not the seller.

TonyACT likes this.
  12. TonyACT

Though you DO get those "Warning - contents may be hot" notices on take-away coffee containers :)

13. The Snodger

This is true, but c'mon, you have to accept that these kind of warnings are aimed at utter morons (your mail guy being a prime example). I mean who buys a coffee expecting it to be anything OTHER than hot?

TonyACT likes this.
  14. danner

danner Forum Resident

I just had my first negative eBay experience in many years. A guy graded an Electric Ladyland LP as "EX," and it was pretty noisy throughout. I was already pretty disappointed before I got to "All Along the Watchtower" and heard several skips. The guy wound up giving me a $10 refund.

I've always had pretty good luck with eBay. Guess it was just my time for a dud.

15. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

I don't understand why someone would post product and then never send it out?

This is happening to me too much of late . Bought 2 CD's from estocks USA on ebay for $20, never received the merchandise, put a claim in and got a refund.
    Now I have another impending problem, spent $65 on a cd box and never received a confirmation that it has shipped?.......It's only been 12 days since I paid, BUT I just
    have this funny feeling I am heading back to the paypal claims.
    Put an order in on Amazon marketplace on March 18th, today i finally emailed the merchant and they said they would refund my money....what is up with all these people ????
    Why would they not mail the product ?.....I don't get this????

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That's a fool who thinks he is escaping EBay's commission, but the commission is charged to the total price including shipping.

17. Many sellers these days are listing the same item on multiple sites at once. It will get sold on one site but the listing on another site won't get pulled in time for a sale. A few sellers list items they don't have in their possession, with the hopes they can find a cheaper copy and sell that one to you at a higher price.

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

19. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

One rare LP with inner groove damage - seller refunded -
    One LP cracked in half due to poor packaging - seller refunded-
    Other than that great stuff
    Rarities, and some bargains...
    Great set of mint Hall & Oates LPs still in shrink
    Sealed Sony SACDS

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

No, that's actually the postage rate from the US to Australia. I often run across items for a few dollars + $10 for postage.

21. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I stand corrected, thanks. I see that a lot with sellers from the UK shipping to the US. I think a good deal popped up and then I cry uncontrollably.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Well I sold a handful of cds.This guy wanted to return one because he was appalled at the mastering/sound.I felt bad and gave him his money back even though I felt he was wrong.I never advertised as "You must buy my cd!"
    I put a bunch of discs on last week.One guy with ZERO feedback at the time messages me and asks when two cds were released.I included a close up photo where the date was clear,but I messaged him back anyway and confirmed the dates.A week later he bought two cds.I even refunded him a few dollars without him even asking because I shipped them together.Now he messages me very arrogantly requesting a refund because he doesn`t like the tracklisting of the cds he bought.I tried to politely explain that do not offer returns and I get a long essay from this guy telling me how I misled him with"defective"cds and I should get with the times.I don`t sell cds for a living.These were used cds from my collection wich I graded as VG+ with visible scratches.I played them without any skipping,jumping problems,but C`mon the tracklisting is screwy?.Oh well.....:sigh:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  23. noise

noise Member

As a seller, my experience with ebay has been horrible. There was a buyer that didn't receive an item that I mailed, didn't purchase tracking. This person sent me threatening, rude, nasty messages. So I reported this person. So what did ebay do? they gave this person a refund as a reward for this behavior. So I decided that I'm finished with ebay. I will not sell with a corporation that won't protect me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.