Dedicated Audio Room choice: 15x15 1/2 ft or 11x20 ft with 9 ft ceilings?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by scotpagel, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a dilema. I have two rooms to choose in the house I am building as a dedicated audio room. 15 1/2 x 15 ft or a 11 x 20 ft room with 9ft ceilings for both. Both rooms will have 4 inch corner to ceiling bass traps for all corners and I have enough accoustic panels for the side walls to deaden the room to the point that you feel like you are in space.

So the questions is. What room is the best the narrow room or the pretty much square room with longer walls?

I haven't bought the speakers but I was thinking Raidho D-1's but I want to audition a bunch first. But I want the room I choose to be the best.

2. F1 Power

F1 Power Well-Known Member

The narrow room is probably better acoustically since its more closer to the golden ratio.

/F1

Robin L likes this.
  3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

20 x 11 all day long, if you have the choice.
    Square rooms are BAD, hmm kay? :)
    Real bad, acoustically.

chervokas, scotpagel and Robin L like this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Here's an article on the Decware site worth reading. http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

I was forced in to a 12x12.5 room and this method saved my system. I've only quoted the conclusion but the entire paper is worth a read. And as you have the opportunity to start from scratch, absolutely try it.

"So in conclusion, the results of the diagonal setup were superior to the conventional setup, the irony is that this was with no room treatment in the diagonal setup and both with and without over 2100 lbs. of diffusion in the conventional setup."

5. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.