Advice: Turntable for my Child

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Metal Mistress, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I would scour your local markets for something cheap and vintage but solid. With automation. You don't want to be replacing styli every 3 weeks right? You can make an adventure of it too, and she will appreciate the experience and the memories that much more.
    I do not recommend any of the cheap OEM tables, for anyone. They do damage records, barely work, and turn people away from the hobby. The LP-60 and all it's sister turntables fall into this category

2. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Buy something used that you can easily resell. If it comes to it, the set up will have been free.

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have this table and love it. My only issue has been the belt slipping off when I've changed speeds. It's happened a couple of times and could be a real pain for a 12 year old kid.

Vinylsoul 1965 and dkmonroe like this.
  4. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Dear Metal Mom,
    I would recommend against going too cheap on a turntable for your daughter. It won't be good sonically or for the wear & tear on her records.
    What would you be willing to budget, perhaps a little more?
    I would second the recommendation of the Orbit U-turn or something used like a Technics direct-drive D-J style deck, or spend a bit more on a Pro-Ject entry level turntable.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    dkmonroe likes this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Perosnally, I say get her what she wants. Some people here have suggested getting her a Pro-Ject or something. Instead of $95, you'll be in several hundred. Even with an Orbit, you'll be in at least three or four times what the Light In The Attic turntable costs.

Not everyone is an audiophile or will ever be one. Let her have fun with something that's simple. When she gets a little older, if she still has interest, she can always upgrade to something better then.

ceedee, DLD, Rolltide and 1 other person like this.
  6. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

My 14-year-old daughter runs an AT LP60. Easy to use. No setup needed. Comes with a built in phono amp. Press "start" and it cues down on the first track. I've even played my original UK mono copy of "Beggars Banquet" on it to demonstrate that it does not damage records. AT has been in the LP business for a good long time and is NOT a zombie brand.

7. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I can't believe some people on this forum are suggesting a VPI Scout. It's a lovely turntable, and I own one. However, I purchased it new for the first time last year when I turned 35. I don't think the Scout is quite the entry level turntable, and for a 12 year old also. A Scout is easy to use and set up in my opinion, but I honestly think it could be overwhelming for a 12 year old to manage. What will their next turntable be when they turn 30? God could only imagine. Why not start out with used gear? I cheaper used technics with an integrated amp and bookshelf speakers?

ceedee and dkmonroe like this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I wonder what TT YOU play your records on (gear not listed on your profile) . Buy her a little decent rig of her own or keep letting her listen their records on yours. Don't doom her first records at the hands of a Crosley-clone like the one you mentioned.

9. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Used gear is fine and dandy, but it requires both serendipity ("oh, look, an SL-1800 at my church's rummage sale while dropping my daughter off for chorus for only $10!") and the patience to clean and set up. And if your daughter is anything like my daughter, she will appreciate "new." My daughter eschewed my spare, vintage Pioneer deck. I'm OK with that.

dkmonroe, Ghostworld and troggy like this.
  10. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

There are many used record shops that also refurb turntables, update the stylus, set them up and sell them for very reasonable prices. You probably have one in your town and pick something up for $100 or so. I don't think I would just buy something out of craigslist. Too easy to get hosed.

4xoddic and The Pinhead like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

She wants a colorful, portable, trendy Jack White toy turntable. It's hip. It's for kids. Get the kid what she wants or ... DISAPPOINTMENT!

What would you think if your wife said, "I know we've been saving up for this for years, but that Jaguar convertible you always wanted just has such bad mileage and poor braking I thought it made much more sense to get you a new Prius which will be much safer and save so much gas....."

VinylRob likes this.
  12. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Dude, wow, you really have stayed in touch with your inner child, particularly the one who threw temper tantrums! That frightened me a bit.

The Pinhead, Rolltide and Jasonb like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I also have two kids! Thinking "smarter" than them isn't always the answer when it comes to frivolous things like gifts. Just get them the piece of junk they're longing for and forget about it. Who gives a damn if it wears out records. There's a 99 percent chance she's not going to wind up a vinyl fetishist like the rest of us poor saps. I actually pulled out a copy of "Red Rose Speedway" I played to DEATH on a crappy one-piece Sears portable system and it really didn't sound that much worse than some of my "cared for" vinyl. But otherwise, yeah, lets get the 12 year old a VPI Scout and teach her to agonize about VTA. That makes a lot of sense. I guarantee you when she opens a box and sees the Jack White table her eyes will light up. And if you usher her dramatically to her new VPI table they will glaze over.

martinb4, arem, VinylRob and 5 others like this.
  14. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

True. Although my post was about a good used Technics, it ain't shiny and new!

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, but you're actually arguing for the Prius (or the Pinto) over the Jaguar, turntable-wise! :laugh:

KeninDC and Jasonb like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

True, but sometimes people just want what they want. Think of that next time you're explaining to your wife why you had to have that $250 Pink Floyd box set with the same albums you have six other copies of...

SandAndGlass and KeninDC like this.
  17. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

But getting what you want isn't always what you really need, or what you THOUGHT you wanted.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

* You can't always get what you wa-ant... *

Here's the solution: get her both. Portable and home system.

19. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

a metal mom whose child desires to spin some vinyl, this is gonna interesting lol...

SandAndGlass and vinyl13 like this.
  20. Smitty43

Smitty43 Forum Resident

We can offer a lot of suggestions on a TT for a child and if she is taught the correct way to handle vinyl and the difference in sound of a LP and a CD and MP3. So just have fun and enjoy the time with them and if she brings home a new copy of Rubber Soul just tell her to keep it sealed and she can open it when she gets older. LOL! Just enjoy the time :wave:

Long Live Analog likes this.
  21. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

"Turntable for my child" I never could find a dealer to make that deal...and I looked hard.

In the end we went for a Technics clone a Numark tt200. Sturdy and allowed for some DJ play.

Rolltide likes this.
  22. Smitty43

Smitty43 Forum Resident

I see a VPI 16.5 cleaning mach. coming soon and the the anti static and the stylus gauge. And the Phono Amp LOL! It never ends so just enjoy. Vinyl is a wonderful thing :goodie: so get her hooked and enjoy the hunt at the used bins for vinyl.:D

23. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

If she appears to be serious, get her something nice enough to inspire her.

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

She's 12, not 4 man. MAYBE she'll play her records on the crappy toy and cry over the difference in sound she'll sure find between the two rigs.

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'll admit 12 is a tougher age. My son is 12 and has shown mild interest in a turntable. The thing is, maybe the "toy" wouldn't be crappy to them. Not everyone thinks like an audiophile.

clhboa and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.