"Runaway" by Del Shannon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I like that Musitron solo since this instrument is a buildup of the better known Clavioline early synth instrument from many years prior (late 40s). I appreciate this song mostly for it's Musitron solo since I like early snyths. But it's a good song nonetheless.

The Clavioline is the base instrument for the Musitron with some modifications. The Clavioline was used by Jerry Goldsmith for his score to the Psycho II movie. Very beautiful and haunting instrument. Telstar by The Tornados from around the same time as "Runaway" used the Clavioline for this excellent instrumental.

2. bosto

bosto Forum Resident

From SongFacts: In 1963, Del Shannon became the first American to cover a Beatles song when he recorded a version of "From Me to You." The Beatles version was released first (May 6, 1963), but Shannon's version was the first to chart, when it entered on June 29, eventually peaking at #77. It wasn't until the first week of August that The Beatles version "bubbled under" on the Billboard charts, and it wasn't until the song was rereleased in February 1964 during the peak of Beatlemania that it cracked the Hot 100, going to #41 in the States.

3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Great song. I first heard it on the American Graffiti soundtrack album in 1972. That organ, or early synthesizer, solo sounds way ahead of 1961.

4. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

Del Shannon played a package oldies tour in Fairbanks, Alaska, sometime before his death. When he came on he was angry and had reason to be. The sound was terrible and he made the sound engineers work with him to fix it. He then played a exciting, blistering set including Runaway and had the audience on our feet roaring. He was absolutely amazing that evening and I will never forget it or him.

5. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Rhett and Carl Swanson like this.
  6. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

Another Del Shannon British invasion connection:

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I do think 'Runaway' was one of the few quality records back then outside of the specific genres of 'girl groups' and early motown. Both of which were a rich source of material for the British beat (invasion) groups a year or two later. This material was new to UK listeners but of course 'Runaway' was an international hit. There is some pretty tardy commercial 'rock and roll' from this period along with great song writing. If the american music of that period was that great it wouldn't have been swept aside by the british 'groups'.

jconsolmagno likes this.
  8. doublenaught

One of my favorite Del Shannon albums:

badfinger54 and MidnightRocks like this.
  9. bobc

bobc Bluesman

It is a great song and a wonderful record. I don't see any need for US/Brit rivalry over this. I was in England at the time and all the kids loved it just as much as any British beat records. Personally I love "Little Town Flirt" just as much, but "Runaway" is the one that everyone remembers. You can start singing it anywhere and everyone (of a certain generation) immediately joins in.

10. doublenaught

Del is another one of those rock and roll tragedies. I remember he was scheduled to perform at a summer festival in Mishawaka Indiana but committed suicide a few months before the event and had to be replaced by Peter Noone.

11. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

His late 60s orchestrated acoustic/orchestrated remake shows it is still a great song without the musitron.

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Living under the threat of nuclear annihilation from birth to about age 35.
    Witnessing the struggle for equality and basic human rights, the civil strife in cities, the alienation of races and generations.
    Seeing the Vietnam War on TV every night, hearing the reports of hundreds of young Americans killed in action every month.
    Hey, Ox, how you doin'?

13. Carl Swanson

I had a little crystal set I made from a kit. I used it to listen to Orson Welles' "Tales from the Black Museum" and other serials that were being broadcast in San Francisco in the early '60s.

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The song is a example of a perfect match for the lyrics and the chords. You don't get that in a lot of todays pop music.

The verse section is a minor chord progression that highlights the sad recollection of the lyrics. Then the bridge section (I'm a walkin in the rain) goes to the major and it follows the change to stark reality and the urgency of the lyrics.
    That's what I hear, maybe I'm nuts.

Anyway, I agree, it is darn near a perfect song if there ever could be one.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  15. Carl Swanson

No, you're not nuts. That's what I hear. It's called "songcraft," using all the elements of a song in concord, words, key, instrumentation, tempo, time signature, to underline the message.

Tord, bumbletort and Rose River Bear like this.
  16. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Indeed, that final single does fit the criteria, but I already presumed Buddy came too early to make your list. Having cleared that up, I have no problems with it anymore :righton:.

MaccaBeatles likes this.
  17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It is one of my favorite covers to play. I have been in numerous bands that do it.

18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Didn't The Beatles use a clavioline for those weird exotic sounds on "Baby You're A Rich Man"?

19. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Are there any digital keyboards that have a similar sounding setting?

20. Carl Swanson

I've played it at various times, with different friends. It's a fun song; I don't mean we took it lightly, or considered it a novelty. We thought it was a great song that we enjoyed doing.

21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Shannon's version of "From Me To You" was actually the first Lennon-McCartney song by any act to make the Hot 100.

22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

If I may mention my second-favourite Del Shannon song, it's this one from 1964. Sadly, it wasn't a huge hit but a fantastic song:

doublenaught and MidnightRocks like this.
  23. stever

stever Senior Member

My first exposure to ear candy. What a terrific song!

John B Good likes this.
  24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree that Runaway is a terrific song and just one of Del Shannon's great songs (which includes Hats Off To Larry and So Long Baby [my favorite Del Shannon song]).

25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yes, I believe so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.