2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

That would be the end of one argument, but IMO they'd also need to at least consider calling it "The Talking and Cussing Hall Of Fame". :)

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

get out, are you sure?

Mazzy likes this.
  3. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

And... I see. So, when it's a band you like, it "doesn't matter," but when it's a band you don't like you mock them for *exactly the same thing.*

As was stated elsewhere, Elvis didn't write. Nobody seems to mock him for that. And, the Monkees *did* write songs, all four have credits on their albums. They also *did* play on the albums, every album has instruments played by at least two of the guys. That's more than can be said for some of the Beach Boys albums, and the Byrds albums, and The Association, and... oh.. tons of others. Feel free to mock all them, too.

A point can be made that The Monkees deserve a slot more than some of this year's nominees, and more than some who have already been inducted. That's all I'm saying...

poe_man, jeatleboe and Zeki like this.
  4. And they are not a Railroad either. :tiphat:

Todd W., four sticks and jon9091 like this.
  5. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yeah, my bad on the "writing".. Forgot I put that as a qualifier... However, there are plenty of others....

Oh.. and "No Time" was CREDITED to Cicalo. He didn't write it. Ask him.

So, most of Talking Heads material is pure filler too, all but, oh, about 4 songs. And they wrote all that filler, too. WooHoo!

Let's see, some more written by one (or more) of the Monkees, and not filler.

Odd that everything you *mock* about the Monkees is also true about Talking Heads... except that the Monkees were put together, originally, for a TV project. Interesting that that makes them less worthy of being a respected group of performers than four people just happening to be in the same place at the same time and stumbling into each other.

But, the Heads do not have a musical genius in the group... The Monkees did. Michael Nesmith. And I will defend him as such until the day I die.

jeatleboe likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah because it always a zero sum game, right? If somebody takes a crap on your idol, you've gotta punch someone else. Classy.

7. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Best post in this thread.

:edthumbs:

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

[QUOTE="hurple, post: 13124709, member: 28135"
    Odd that everything you *mock* about the Monkees is also true about Talking Heads... [/QUOTE]
    See now this is what I mean, just sad. I dig both of these bands. These R&RHoF discussions just bring out the worst all around.

hurple likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I was going to let it all go and move on from this because it's getting nowhere but you just had to bring up Talking Heads. (Again!!) :realmad:
    Pure filler? WTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!! They have albums of front to back perfection. (4 masterpieces) The Monkees don't even have one. They never had to rely on singles like the Monkees.
    The Talking Heads are David Byrne,Tina Weymouth,Jerry Harrison & Chris Frantz. Four creative geniuses that produced some of the finest work of the 20th century. In Talking Heads and out of Talking Heads. (Modern Lovers,Tom Tom Club,etc.)
    The Monkees had three actors and a talentless hack. Please don't compared Michael Nesmith to a musical mastermind like David Byrne. You'll only make him look worse. :tsk:

10. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

My Five Picks From This List:

Cheap Trick
    The Cars
    Deep Purple
    Steve Miller

Okay just 4 picks o_O

Stallings likes this.
  11. The Smiths Spinners and NWA are the only game changers of the list. They broke new ground. Maybe the JBs too. But I do like some of the others.

zebop and JohnnyQuest like this.
  12. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Thanks, had no idea. Shows how far out of my radar she and her protege are!

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Also a recurring role on Different Strokes :hide:

14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Hah. "Barely went" platinum is like complaining that you're not MUCH of a millionaire.

15. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Meh. All I need are "Burning Down The House" and "Wild Wild Life".

16. JohnnyQuest

:doh: I'm sure you haven't even heard "Remain in Light" or "Fear of Music".

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Lotsa filler.

18. JohnnyQuest

You're just trolling me now. I'm not falling for it. I'm out of here. Peace.

19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Sorry you accuse people of trolling because they don't agree with you. :shrug:

20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The problem with the Hall is that they're wholly inconsistent. Gene Pitney was inducted way back in 2002 and you never hear anything by him on the radio today, except maybe "It Hurts To Be In Love". I like Pitney but his induction is a real head scratcher.

21. 905

905 Senior Member

Some of you old rock purists are still against the Monkees?
    Even though forum sacred cows the Byrds picked a non drummer* to drum because he resembled Brian Jones, and Jimi Hendrix picked a guitarist to play bass because he had hair similar to Dylan?

*Michael Clarke became a fine rock drummer and is one of my favorites.

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Never heard of any of them.

troggy likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you are kidding right?

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

that happens to me all the time. :)

25. I was completing the thread. And the :tiphat: is a clue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.