Best sounding version of Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pronghorn, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love this album. I've only ever heard the original CD. Is there a better version sonic-wise? Vinyl? Cassette? Remaster? SACD?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

original CD. if 5.1 is your thing, it's worth checking out the SACD but I don't believe any of the other 2-channel presentations sounds as good as the original disc.

4. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I've only heard the original US CD and the original US double LP. The LP beats the CD - no contest - in every sonic parameter.

IIRC the original double LP was Promo Only, for the US vinyl.

drasil likes this.
  5. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I have the SACD and the original CD. I think the SACD wins, however t sounds great on both version.

Hattipper likes this.
  6. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

I like the SACD. The original CD is pretty good too. I wouldn't take the vinyl release over either of them.

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Both the original CD and the SACD sound too compressed. Vinyl is probably the way to go for this album.

8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

There is a Dual Disc (Halo-Eight DVD-A) of this also which has a DVD-A section as well as regular compatible DVD section also includes Vids of Closer (5.1), Pigs and Hurt, I'll have another go at it, been ions since I listened to it, I normally go for the old slipcase

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  9. botley

botley Forum Resident

The old '94 CD is great, 2004 SACD and DualDisc are good too and the 5.1 mix is astonishing. Compressed dynamics are part of this band's sound, and every version of this release has them.

Numanx likes this.
  10. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

I'd definitely recommend the original vinyl pressing over the reissue "Back in Black" version. Comparing the two, the reissue has less mid-range, sounds a bit muffled compared to the original US vinyl (which is a promo version).

As far as CD's, the remastered CD from 2004 isn't bad at all. What's interesting is that while it is slightly more compressed, the overall volume of the tracks is actually around 1 db less than the original (comparing waveforms in Audition); it's definitely not brickwalled and the dynamics from the original are intact.

11. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I saw an LP of The Downward Spiral for sale this afternoon at my local retail shop, but no Back To Black sticker. I'm guessing it's the same mastering, maybe just different packaging... Has anyone else listened to this version? If it sounds better than the CD, I think I'm going to pick it up. Any info would be appreciated.

12. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I think that's the one I have. It sounds pretty good, but I'm comparing it to my memory of how the album sounded on cassette in 1994. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Did you ever get the reissue? Discogs indicates it is cut by Kevin Gray.

14. johnnypaddock

Yes, and it sounds excellent. A nice listen.

mikemoon likes this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i second that. was very surprised by how great it sounds.

johnnypaddock and mikemoon like this.
  16. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

The original CD is all I've heard, but it sounds just great.

c-eling likes this.
  17. johnnypaddock

I was too... After seeing some of the posts on this forum, my expectations were low. The album has a kind of murky production, but I found that I could really crank up the volume on the KG cut, and it just kept sounding better and better. I picked up on some little nuances along the way that I had never heard, which is always nice. The pressing is excellent as well.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Picked up the original US Promo LP today. Does anyone know the story behind this? It's not a typical DJ Promo type release in generic white sleeves, it's a gatefold, with full color inners, and full color labels. Why go to all this trouble for something that wasn't for sale? Any idea how many they made?

It sounds good, it probably reflects the master tape pretty well. I had the CD/DVD version somewhere down the line, I liked it as a 2 channel version but never did 5.1 so it was kind of redundant.

Most of this album was done with samplers, Akais that had JUST achieved 44.1/16 bit stereo sound, as well as a lot of stuff flown in from computers. Pro Tools was extremely limited at the time though, so although plenty of editing (and lots of the distortion effects) was done on the computer ultimately the album was cut on 2 sync'ed 2" 24 track machines. The machine used to sync the two tape machines with the computer was a great burden on the recording of this album, yet completely essential for the way the album was made. It was ceremonially destroyed at the close of the sessions. I don't think Trent had made an album on tape ever since (over 20 years).

Gonzo-a-gogo and razorball like this.
  19. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Which year did the kg cut come out? Is it the back to black version?

20. johnnypaddock

Not sure... I purchased mine last year. It had no sticker. If I remember correctly, it came in a heavy plastic outer sleeve.

21. melodic chaos

melodic chaos Forum Resident

I just opened my "Back to Black" presing this morning and am giving it a first spin.
    In my opinion this is the best sounding version I've heard of this album to date.
    Very detailed with great low end.
    A very neutral sounding album without any harshness that allows for easy playback at loud volumes.

psus2h likes this.
  22. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

What others you have?

23. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

When are they re releasing fragile??!!!!

24. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I have the sacd. It's a great album but it's a very messy and grimy recording so it was never going to be a top quality release.

The double disc sacd is excellent value but it is not a well recorded sacd like ones such as steely Dan or the blue nile or something like that.

25. melodic chaos

melodic chaos Forum Resident

I'm comparing to my original CD pressing and the SACD release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.