About to buy a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary monitors. Talk me out of it.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm right about to purchase a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers from Music Direct to use in my second system. Every review I can find, both professional and user, are off the charts perfect in terms of what I'm looking for. The measurements and graphs published by the UK audiophile mags look unbelievable. Seems like the only complaint about these is that they sound too dark, too warm, or too vintage-y. That's exactly the sound I want. Users and reviewers claim rich sound, smooth integration between mid and tweeter, surprising bass impact, liquid midrange, warm tonal balance, well-defined mid-bass, combined with finesse and good insight into the music. So what's the real story? Is this just another cheap sounding, yelpy, small-scale, speaker lacking refinement or is it truly a "poor-man's Harbeth"?

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

A friend of mine just bought them and really likes them a lot. He's a big bucks gear kind of guy so if he's impressed they've got to be a bargain.

Get them!

3. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Very attractive. Nice, warm sound. Not the last word in detail. Get stands. I have them in my second system and like them. For $500 they are worth it. $1000? Probably not. But they sound far from cheap. I'm running a $250 NAD 320bee into them right now.

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Get them . I have had a pair for almost a year-bought them when the price was halved at Music Direct. I like vintage gear so I have a bias. These speakers sound wonderful and have great looks and build quality. I love their sound with my EL84 Jolida amp. I don't know about audiophile terms of description but I will say they aren't bright or thin and seem well balanced to me.

5. Daedalus

Ps-they are rear-ported so need some space from the back wall and yes-put them on stands 24-28 inches high and place near the room corners slightly toed in.

Jack Flannery and Trapper J like this.
  6. The Seeker

That's good to know that they have the potential to be driven by low watt tube amps. I was concerned about that.

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

For $500 the anniversary Dentons are a good deal. If you are going to use them in a medium to small room then they seem like a good match. I like their old style looks and the reviews I've read suggest that these are good speakers.

Scott

8. The Seeker

Looking forward to receiving mine. I will post some review-type comments when they arrive and I have a chance to run them through the obstacle course. I found a lightly used pair for $400, which I am happy about because I don't have to wait to break them in.

bhazen and Daedalus like this.
  9. Daedalus

I wouldn't bother with super low power single-ended amps but 20 plus tube watts is fine as I have found out. And they also do take to my vintage Sansui 9090DB. Or my Denon A100.

10. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

My NAD is rated 50wpc. Never feels like the Dentons are underpowered.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Wow; you just talked ME out of buying them EVER:D

12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

For $500, one of the great hifi bargains of all time. They're the antidote to bright modern minimonitors! Gorgeous midrange, too. Are they a poor man's P3ESR? No. But in some ways, I prefer them to the P3's I had.

Don't buy them! (Well, you asked.)

13. The Seeker

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.