Opinions on Adcom GFA 555II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PopularChuck, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member Thread Starter

An old-school electronics repair shop in my neighborhood is liquidating. I spotted an Adcom GFA 555 II in the window for $250. Assuming it's solid, does anyone have opinions on this amp? I know it was designed by Nelson Pass and is highly regarded.

I'm currently running a Croft Acoustics Integrated Phono amp. The rest of the system is a Rega Apollo CD and a Project Debut Carbon with assorted upgrades and an Ortofon Bronze. Speakers are Golden Ear Triton Sevens.

I don't need the Adcom, but if it's a deal, well...

Of course, then I'd need a Phono/pre...

2. I have a 545 II in a system and like it very much. And 250 sounds fair, if not slightly under market value. Adcom has always been under valued in my estimation. I couldn't think of anything better at that price.

3. PopularChuck

The guy is retiring / going out of business and it's one of those "everything must go" deals. I suspect he'd take $200 out the door, so I'm giving it serious thought.

Of course, then I'd have to get a phono/pre, so I'd have to consider the cost of that, too.

Any other opinions on the Adcom GFA 555 II? And/or a phono/pre that would go nicely with it?

4. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

6. PopularChuck

Assuming I go through with this, anyone have thoughts on a phono/pre to run with the Adcom?

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am still using them with a pair of Thiel 3.6's. They still sound fine to me! I bought them new. I have two and am bridging them....talk about overkill!

8. Doesn't the Croft have a pre out?

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I'm usimg a Krell model but I'm assuming you don't want to put up rhat kind of money. That is probably why the amps still sound fine to me. I listen mainly to vinyl, so you would also have to add a cart preamp if you have a turntable.

10. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I have the gfp 565 pre-amp and the phono stage is super quiet and sounds fantastic. They are, I believe, expensive for that reason. Check ebay.

12. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Had a 545II for about a decade. I cranked up the bias myself out of curiosity one day (presumably further into class A territory?). It ran hot but sounded even better. Sold it to a friend and its still going to this day. Bombproof amp.

13. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

The 565 pre was a GREAT unit with a terrific phono stage. I had a 545 mk2 amp for many years and really liked it. Still wish I had it! The 555 was the 100 WPC variant.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've had a 555II and GFP 565 pre since their release. The 555II can get a bit hard and analytical on some material, but it's clarity and low end are amazing.

The 565 pre amp is nothing short of amazing for it's price point, especially the phono section.

You could most likely turn a profit selling the amp on E Bay if you don't like it.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. PopularChuck

Ibdid a little digging yesterday... The shop owner died in August and his family held a liquidation sale last weekend. I missed it, and, based on the fact the place is still packed with stuff, I assume everyone else did, too. I've found an email address through a Craigslist listing for the sale and reached out to inquire about the amp.

Still no word though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.