Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I would like to see the DW Washburn video!

Grand_Ennui and Keith V like this.
  2. 905 and D-rock like this.
  3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I'll be on Ken Michaels 'Every Little Thing' syndicated radio show this week talking about my Monkees book and the relationship between the Beatles and the Monkees. Check the radio listings on Ken Michaels website.

http://www.kenmichaelsradio.com/every-little-thing.html

4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Anyone else get the new Micky Dolenz CD on Broadway Records "A Little Bit Broadway ... A Little Bit Rock 'N Roll" [Live]? It's nicely recorded. Odd that people are eating and clinging their plates and glasses though. Lol. It is nice to hear Micky do other songs than what is usually heard. He gets pretty emotional talking about his wife. Would have like to heard a Nilsson tune or even a Nesmith tune but overall it's a nice listen. Bring on the Nesmith covers album though. :)

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Also to note... Nesmith has posted on FB that his book Listen To The Band has found a publisher. He's also writing a new book that continues the story of Nez in Neftoon Zamora. He also stated that Infinitia ships a week from Monday. I really have high hopes for The Ocean. Can't wait to hear it. Just hoping it's not all instrumental electronica synthesizer music. This release kinda came out of nowhere. I mean I know he's talked about it in the past.. But thought he'd abandoned the ideal. Glad he didn't.

Wonder if there will be some Davy Jones releases from his family? He was working on some stuff before his death. I really liked that song "Written In My Heart". Wonder if there is enough recorded for an album?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Grand_Ennui, music4life and D-rock like this.
  9. music4life

music4life Senior Member

FredV and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

That should read "Flower Power Cruise 2016"

11. Grand_Ennui

Agreed...

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Reissue time ???????
    Any titles coming out on vinyl.
    Folks seem to be snapping up vinyl these days, very much in the vogue.
    Seems logical.

13. alexpop

Fan art?
    Didn't I see a PAC&J Ltd MFSL cover here once ? Been looking for it.

14. Grand_Ennui

Friday Music has reissued several Monkees titles on vinyl:

http://www.fridaymusic.com

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

Glad to help...

alexpop likes this.
  17. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

In the Music Box Disc 4 liner note...it mentions that they were offered 4 new tunes...what was the fourth one?

Micky Dolenz: “When they found out we were going on tour they came to us individually. They said, ‘Do you want to record new songs? We’re putting together a compilation album, and we want four new tunes on it.’ I thought it was a marvelous opportunity. In fact, I think they approached me before I even started rehearsals. I thought it was a done deal. I said, ‘I’ll want more money.’ They said, ‘Fine, we’ll renegotiate on the new tunes.’ Then I heard as time went on that Davy wasn’t making a deal. He wasn’t returning phone calls. He was having a real big problem. Peter was also. He said, ‘I don’t like this song’ – the same old stuff. I certainly wasn’t going to put the kibosh on the deal because of Peter’s problems or Davy’s. That wouldn’t have been right. Indeed Peter showed up at the session only out of my badgering. Davy never even showed up. Basically he couldn’t make a deal for whatever reasons, and I did the songs.”

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Beware of the Friday Music vinyl re-issues. Cover art dodgy and the true audio source has never been revealed. Rhino did an awesome Head vinyl re-issue a couple of years back. Look for the old Sundazed 180 grm or colored vinyl from the late 90s.

19. alexpop

I've never rated color vinyl.

20. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Plus Friday Music vinyl is overpriced

21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

He posted that on FB too and noted that was from the grainy Monkees in Paris episode... Well usually grainy but now looking stellar!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

That was a great example to excite some interest in a fence-rider like me.

24. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

That's because most syndication prints were sourced from a 16mm source. I bet it looked much better when first aired on NBC from a 35mm master and print.

It would make sense the wrap-arounds would look good as they were shot in 35mm, so I wonder what the French footage (almost certainly 16mm based) will look like since they would be blow-ups if Andrew is working from that source. I also wonder if Andrew can go back to the original 16mm camera negs of that French footage to work with.

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Fandom Lenses and D-rock like this.